Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by BBP »

BBP wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 am Last evening I had an hour to spare. So I picked up a Thea Beckman I had lying around, Hasse Simonsdochter, and didn't put it down until I finished it. Wonderful, but it kept me up 'til two hours past bedtime. Zzzzzzz...
I think I posted like three times about this happening, and it just happened a fourth time, Het Helse Paradijs.

(checks wiki) There are still 6 books of hers I haven't read yet, so you may see it more often... this was one of her distopia/utopia trilogy.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finally, after seven years of searching, after falling head-over-heels in love with the film, prompting me to wear a ring, learn Japanese, learn the theme music on TV and buy the art book, I have finally found it!
Diana Wynne Jones - Howl's Moving Castle.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I've started on it.. my arch enemy...
Emily Brontë - Wuthering Heights.

It took me three days but now I'm at chapter 2. And I'm keeping a diary on my experiences reading it! Quarantime!
http://packardgoose.ploeg.ws/interactiv ... 5#pid19661
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:11 pm I've started on it.. my arch enemy...
Emily Brontë - Wuthering Heights.

It took me three days but now I'm at chapter 2. And I'm keeping a diary on my experiences reading it! Quarantime!
http://packardgoose.ploeg.ws/interactiv ... 5#pid19661
Boooooo!

"You must be registered to view these boards. Login"
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Sorry, just changed it back to unblock. Had a bot issue and one new subscriber in two years.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... five-pages
Here's one Andrea would appreciate...
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:47 pm Finally, after seven years of searching, after falling head-over-heels in love with the film, prompting me to wear a ring, learn Japanese, learn the theme music on TV and buy the art book, I have finally found it!
Diana Wynne Jones - Howl's Moving Castle.
Ooh! :D I just finished reading my first DWJ -- The Tough Guide to Fantasyland. Good stuff. What should would you recommend next from DWJ? :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

So far Howl's Moving Castle is the only book I've read by the author, and since her work is hard to come by in this neck of the woods (still don't do internet shopping much) I don't think I'll be getting many others, but I very much enjoyed reading Howl. Read it quite a few times already too :)
Skip to new scripts
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

My resolution for 2021 was to read more, so I've been keeping up with my goal with Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/jasefwisener
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Whoops -- I've been meaning to add: I now have an (almost) complete collection of the Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler! ;) His setting is Los Angeles in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Does anyone know if L.A. now is anything like what it was back then? *curious* Obviously the language, the fashions and the prices have changed quite a bit -- but he mentions Santa Rosa, San Diego, the incessant humid heat, the bays, the hydrangeas etc... :)

Of course, I don't expect anyone in L.A. nowadays to walk down the street in suits and shoulder-holsters, or to call detectives a "shamus" or a "private dick". :lol: That'd be far too much of a coincidence! ;)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I played LA Noire which is set in the late '40s. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I get the impression they did their homework. One conversation I found amusing was a discussion as to which city would end up being the most important city in California: LA or Sacramento. Sacramento, of course, is the capital, but I guess at the time, both cities were growing and it was an open question as to who would "win".
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

LA Noire never worked for me (i.e. all I saw was a black screen -- never got as far as the splash screen). Too bad. :( I like the noir genre, and I was looking forward to playing it. Oh, well.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Just finished The Tea Lords by Hella Haasse and am moving on to Hunchback of Notre Dame. Had too much Hellfire recently :D
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hi again, BBP! *waves* ;)

Hmm... I finished my first (and second) Wodehouse books not long ago. Pretty good, although I thought Wooster is, well ... stupid. ;) What ho, don't you know, and all that! :P
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Now you understand that scene in Broken Sword 1 :D

There was also a TV-series made starring Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”