So ... I thought I should give this game a try.

Can't seem to find your chunk of gold? This forum just might be the map you need!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

So ... I thought I should give this game a try.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'd never played Gold Rush before, because of all the mention about how randomly brutal this game is in killing you. :( It doesn't sound like much fun, if you try 50 times to get across a section and only succeed 10 times.

So ... which one would you recommend, hmm? :) I have three choices:

The Classic version

The Anniversary version

OR ... The Sequel ;)

What do you think, hmm? :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: So ... I thought I should give this game a try.

Post by Tawmis »

For me, I've not finished going through the anniversary version (but I like it, just life got in the way).

I enjoyed the classic version, despite it's random deadly illness you may pick up. The illness does add a sense of realism to it - but it's unfortunate that there's no way to ensure you can avoid it.

So save early, save often.

I am not sure if the brutality is seen in the anniversary edition.

I'd say don't play the sequel since it takes place after the first one. So I'd say play the first one, then the sequel. (Started the sequel, never finished it; same reason, life got in the way).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Fair enough. I heard that it's even possible to lose when you get to a specific screen, because you have something two seconds to type what you're going to do (catch a wagon, I think?) otherwise, it leaves without you. So you need to start typing before getting to the screen. Is that right? ;)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I also recommend starting with the first one. I haven't played the anniversary edition, so I can't comment on that. You're winking at the sequel. I'm guessing that's a joke? I was not a fan of the sequel.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:45 pm Fair enough. I heard that it's even possible to lose when you get to a specific screen, because you have something two seconds to type what you're going to do (catch a wagon, I think?) otherwise, it leaves without you. So you need to start typing before getting to the screen. Is that right? ;)
I don't remember this. Most of the deaths come out of the blue and are unavoidable. There are a few situations where a random "problem" may crop up that you have to solve, so maybe I missed the situation you are describing. I know I missed at least one with my playthrough.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

There's a wagon section that has a tight timer but if you have a lot of savegames you'll pull through...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

Return to “The Gold Rush Games”