What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:44 am Just curious: you say you were surprised that "ScummVM was chosen for KQ6". Who chose ScummVM? When I play old Sierra games on GOG, they always launch in DOSBox and then go fullscreen, and it looks good. :)
There were two versions of KQ6. One meant for DOS, the other for Windows 3.11. The Windows version has higher resolution dialog portraits. To get the Windows version to work, you either need to get Windows 3.11 to run in DOSBox or use ScummVM.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:05 am Just finished Shadows of Darkness for the first time in around six years or so. This was easily the most comprehensive play through I’ve done to date, and the second time I’ve played as a Paladin.

I’m now onto Dragon Fire and am almost finished. I’ve only played this once before, back in 2003. And this time I’ve gotten Erana to agree to marry me! The first time I rescued Katrina and was unaware she’s refuse to marry Paladins.
Paladins are fun to play. *nods* What makes QfG a little easier, though, is playing a thief-mage mix (i.e. start as a thief, but add magic spells). So if your lock-picking skills aren't up to snuff, you can always use the "Open" spell.

As for QfG5 marrying - it is:

Erana = Paladin
Katrina = Mage
Elsa = Warrior/Paladin
Nawar = Thief

Replaying the games as different classes gives you different puzzles, sure, but of course it's time-consuming. I think there are tools out there to simply create a savegame for any of the QfG games (e.g. you create your QfG4 hero, give him stats etc., save the file, and import it into QfG4). That saves you the time on replaying the 1st, 2nd and 3rd games again.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:05 am Just finished Shadows of Darkness for the first time in around six years or so. This was easily the most comprehensive play through I’ve done to date, and the second time I’ve played as a Paladin.

I’m now onto Dragon Fire and am almost finished. I’ve only played this once before, back in 2003. And this time I’ve gotten Erana to agree to marry me! The first time I rescued Katrina and was unaware she’s refuse to marry Paladins.
Paladins are fun to play. *nods* What makes QfG a little easier, though, is playing a thief-mage mix (i.e. start as a thief, but add magic spells). So if your lock-picking skills aren't up to snuff, you can always use the "Open" spell.

As for QfG5 marrying - it is:

Erana = Paladin
Katrina = Mage
Elsa = Warrior/Paladin
Nawar = Thief

Replaying the games as different classes gives you different puzzles, sure, but of course it's time-consuming. I think there are tools out there to simply create a savegame for any of the QfG games (e.g. you create your QfG4 hero, give him stats etc., save the file, and import it into QfG4). That saves you the time on replaying the 1st, 2nd and 3rd games again.
I’ve played QG4 as all the character classes. And yes, Thief-Mage combos are great! Looking forward to trying out 5 as a different type, too.

I did find one of the character generators and they’re very handy. My current Paladin, Jasper, I imported from my recent QG4 playthrough.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Just wondering: any idea what Katrina's spell (Dragon Fire, IIRC?) is useful for? Is it useful for anything? ;) I only tried casting it once, and my hero almost immediately died. :shock:

Erana's spell (First Aid) is useful, sure, but those potions that Salim sells heal you faster.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:51 am Just wondering: any idea what Katrina's spell (Dragon Fire, IIRC?) is useful for? Is it useful for anything? ;) I only tried casting it once, and my hero almost immediately died. :shock:
It's a powerful offensive spell. It's been a while since I've played, but I think you need to aim it. Click a target with the cursor. Maybe you almost died because it was aimed too close to yourself?
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

According to CyricZ's excellent QFG5 FAQ/Walkthrough:
"Dragon Fire"
MP: 100
Found: Taught by Katrina after freeing her
Icon: A silhouette of a dragon against fiery red
Description: The most powerful offensive spell, this conjures up the head of
a dragon, which blasts a small area with blazing fire breath. Just stay out
of its way. Don't use the belt icon shortcut for this spell, because the
dragon head will appear right on top of you.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Aha! That's probably what I was doing wrong. I hadn't seen that FAQ before, and put the spell in the "belt" (because I thought it was like any other spell). Naturally, the dragon head roasted my hero. Oops! ;)

Does the Dragon Fire spell work on the dragon, by the way? I'd have thought not, since the dragon breathes fire himself -- hence cold magic seems indicated. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I have forgotten quite a few puzzles from KQ6, am on my third Catacomb attempt because I found I'd forgotten something each time.

Great huh! :D
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finished KQ twice, once with the Golden Ending and once with my favourite ending, which is like the Golden Ending except your ring is still at the pawn shop. :D
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Just got a Steam account for the sole purpose of playing Cluedo. My poor laptop is struggling but it's working!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Which Cluedo are you playing? *curious* Is it this one? If so, maybe I can get it and join you. :)

I just finished playing Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse last night. I got this game about 10 years ago, but only just got around to playing it a few days ago. :lol: Absolutely brilliant! I recommend it. :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah that one! It's been analysed and discussed beyond credibility at the Cluedo forum but I finally got to see it now, three years after the game's initial release.

Tawm - you've mentioned you like Clue but weren't good at it - this Clue is great in helping you work the analysis part.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I wasn't aware a digital version of CLUE/Cluedo existed! I may need to check this out.

In the meantime, Goatmeal's mapping of Firehawk Games made me dig up an old game called PHANTASIE that I've spent a TON of hours playing (and have yet to beat) and make a map of the outside.
PHANTASIE_I_MAP.png
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

That map reminds me of Zelda 2.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I am (re)playing Darkest Dungeon. It is very hard. ;)

(Pipe down, Larry!) :P

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”