Gabriel Knight 1 - Day 5 - Cemetery Message (Spoilers Ahead, Don't Look If You Don't Want To See An Image!)

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Gabriel Knight 1 - Day 5 - Cemetery Message (Spoilers Ahead, Don't Look If You Don't Want To See An Image!)

Post by Tawmis »

All right - I am on Day 5 of Gabriel Knight 1, to leave a message on Marie Laveau's grave...
And I have translated the two different message...
Now it says, "Gabriel translates them all, except for 3 letters..."
So I thought, I am going to put these symbols alphabetically, for ease of my sanity and spelling things out...
And quickly discovered, Gabe is missing more than "three" letters.
He's in fact missing, twice as many - he's missing 6 letters in total: M, Q, U, X, Y, and Z.
Now I had to restore to see how a certain something was spelled...
So I am pretty sure the "three" letters she mentions are indeed what's needed to spell the item in question...
Which makes me think I am on the right track (meaning: M, U, and Y are missing from what I need to spell).
That, and there's three "unknown" letters in Gabriel's translation... but because he's missing six letters, these could technically be Q, X, and Z.
Now being that three letters are missing - and the three "?" all look similar, it would almost feel like the three "?" are X, Y and Z because alphabetically, some look similar (A through G, all look similar themed, for example, as do N an O).

So that said, does it matter which ones you use for the letters M, U and Y to spell what's needed?

Because if it requires a specific "?" - it's not clear at all, unless I am missing something else?

Willing to take small hints, if needed. I've now idea how I figured this out in the past when I've played, if it was specific letters. I am willing to go with it doesn't matter, because unless I am missing something right now, that seems the logical choice... which is odd, for a game that's got so much detail to say "it doesn't matter which three you use." :D
GK1_Graveyard.png
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Gabriel Knight 1 - Day 5 - Cemetery Message (Spoilers Ahead, Don't Look If You Don't Want To See An Image!)

Post by BBP »

I don't think so, it would make the puzzle invalid you need to spell sekey madoule after all, which has two of them. I think the game just treats them as a font.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Gabriel Knight 1 - Day 5 - Cemetery Message (Spoilers Ahead, Don't Look If You Don't Want To See An Image!)

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:55 am I don't think so, it would make the puzzle invalid you need to spell sekey madoule after all, which has two of them. I think the game just treats them as a font.

Yeah - figured out that it was "Sekey Madoule" - which is why I had to restore back to see how it was spelled. But since "M, U, Y" are three letters that are missing - all three, which are needed to spell SEKE_ _ADO_LE - It's not clear which of the unknown characters are which letter.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ah, that's how I figured it out.
If you type the wrong "?" character - Gabriel will rub it out and you have to start over. So it's trial and error to guess the last three.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Assuming the three "?" are not randomized each game - here's the key for anyone interested.
GK1_Graveyard.png
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Just checked the SCI docs and found that, unlike I thought earlier, the symbols are not a font. Unfortunately I cannot find the symbols in the views, but I'll have a better look.

You may have noticed that the P isn't in the first message, but it is in the second. Gabe could've translated all the other symbols as well if he had the time :D Maybe it was too hard with the P missing.

Thought - I need to update the GK1 companion with the easter egg
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Views 95 and 96.
Attachments
View95-0-0.png
View95-0-0.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
View96-0-0.png
View96-0-0.png (6.15 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah I had found the views of the full text, but not of the separate letters.

I have found them now, they're in view 310,v56, loops 2 and 3. There are 24 symbols in total. Chart's underway...
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Here's the chart of the letters I found in order of appearance in view 310.

In the game files they're in alphabetical order - and there's one letter that wasn't used ingame tucked nicely between P and R.

(and while checking I found some placeholder art, which was some treat to see :)
Attachments
GKLETTER.png
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

There you are, Tawm. All fixed. :D And now?

(I love Harvey Korman's work. But everything about this movie is hilarious) ;)

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”