Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory stuff

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory stuff

Post by Tawmis »

I was cleaning off my external drive - and found where I clearly scrubbed these from somewhere, no idea where - figured I'd share'em.
Attachments
hq.jpg
hq-back.jpg
hq-disk1.jpg
hq-disk2.jpg
hq-disk3.jpg
hq-hintbook.pdf
(7 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
hq-manual.pdf
(7.76 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
hq-refcard.pdf
(447.54 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
hq-school.pdf
(6.49 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
qfg1.jpg
qfg1-alt.jpg
qfg1-alt-back.jpg
qfg1-alt-disk.jpg
qfg1-alt-manual.pdf
(5.65 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg1-alt-refcard.pdf
(429.1 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg1-back.jpg
qfg1-disk1.jpg
qfg1-disk2.jpg
qfg1-hintbook.pdf
(13.67 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg1-manual.pdf
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
qfg1-school.pdf
(3.88 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg1-spine.jpg
qfg1-spine2.jpg
qfg2.jpg
qfg2-back.jpg
qfg2-disk1.jpg
qfg2-disk2.jpg
qfg2-hintbook.pdf
(10.08 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg2kixx.jpg
qfg2kixx-back.jpg
qfg2kixx-disk1.jpg
qfg2kixx-disk2.jpg
qfg2kixx-manual.pdf
(26.03 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
qfg2-manual.pdf
(7.43 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
qfg2-map.jpg
qfg2-techmanual.pdf
(7.83 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
qfg3.jpg
qfg3-back.jpg
qfg3-course.pdf
(8.91 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
qfg3-disk.jpg
qfg3-hintbook.pdf
(16.04 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
qfg3-manual.pdf
(4.1 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
qfg3-refcard.pdf
(337.05 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg3-spine.jpg
qfg3-spine2.jpg
qfg4.jpg
qfg4-back.jpg
qfg4-cybermanad.pdf
(558.41 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
qfg4-disk1.jpg
qfg4-disk2.jpg
qfg4-guide.pdf
(9.72 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
qfg4-hintbook.pdf
(13.48 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
qfg4-manual.pdf
(9.95 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
qfg4-refcard.pdf
(663.02 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
qfg5.jpg
qfg5-back.jpg
qfg5-cd.jpg
qfg5-cdcase.jpg
qfg5-cdcase-back.jpg
qfg5-cdcase-inlay.pdf
(150.87 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
qfg5-inside.jpg
qfg5-manual.pdf
(13.79 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
qfg5-refcard.pdf
(463.2 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
qfg5-soundtrack.jpg
qfg5-soundtrack-alt.jpg
qfg5-soundtrack-alt-back.jpg
qfg5-soundtrack-alt-cd.jpg
qfg5-soundtrack-alt-inlay.pdf
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
qfg5-soundtrack-back.jpg
qfg5-soundtrack-cd.jpg
qfg5-soundtrack-inlay.pdf
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
qfgcoll.jpg
qfgcoll-back.jpg
qfgcoll-cd.jpg
qfgcoll-cdcase.jpg
qfgcoll-cdcase-back.jpg
qfgcoll-cdcase-inlay.pdf
(224.01 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
qfgcoll-inside.jpg
qfgcoll-manual.pdf
(12.81 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
qfguk.jpg
qfguk-back.jpg
qfguk-disk.jpg
qfguk-manual.pdf
(25.4 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
qfguk-school.pdf
(15.51 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
questvol1.jpg
questvol1-back.jpg
questvol1-cd1.jpg
questvol1-cd2.jpg
questvol1-cd3.jpg
questvol1-cd4.jpg
questvol1-cd5.jpg
questvol1-cdcase.pdf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
questvol1-inside.jpg
questvol1-manual.pdf
(26.32 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
questvol1-note.jpg
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Re: Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory stuff

Post by goatmeal »

Many thanks!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thank you, Tawm! :D I remember some of these, but some of them (especially the backs of the boxes) are new to me. (Or simply so old that I've forgotten. Was it really 1998 when I first got a copy of QfG5? Now I feel very old). ;)

Thanks! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:16 am Thank you, Tawm! :D I remember some of these, but some of them (especially the backs of the boxes) are new to me. (Or simply so old that I've forgotten. Was it really 1998 when I first got a copy of QfG5? Now I feel very old). ;)

Thanks! :)
The one that throws me off is the "Quest for Glory I" but has the "Hero's Quest" cover. I'd never seen that before in the wild.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

The back of that box is interesting. I can see that's Lori as the wizard and Corey as the fighter, but who's playing the thief? ;)

The "Hero's Quest" box must have come before Milton Bradley released the HeroQuest board game, which forced Sierra to change the name of their game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:48 pm The back of that box is interesting. I can see that's Lori as the wizard and Corey as the fighter, but who's playing the thief? ;)
The "Hero's Quest" box must have come before Milton Bradley released the HeroQuest board game, which forced Sierra to change the name of their game.
Oh, you mean on the original "Hero's Quest" box? Well if you knew who the thief was you could report'em! A good thief never makes themselves known!

And the Hero's Quest box came out AFTER Milton Bradley, which is why they had to legally change it to "Quest for Glory" (or something other than Hero's Quest).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, of course it was after. Whoops. ;) I tried playing the "HeroQuest" board game, by the way. It wasn't a patch on QfG - it was, more or less, "D&D for beginners". One player plays the DM role, while the others can take on the role of a barbarian, wizard etc. with pre-set spells and abilities. As you explore the board, the "DM" puts down monsters and treasure (no traps - well, none that I can remember).

I don't see how anyone can confuse "HeroQuest" and "Hero's Quest", given that they're completely different games. Still, copyright is copyright. *shrug*
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:53 pmI don't see how anyone can confuse "HeroQuest" and "Hero's Quest", given that they're completely different games.
It's because both the board game and computer game share the same genre (or at least are close enough) and fall under the heading of "games."

Believe it or not, this sort of thing happened fairly recently to a board game originally called V-Commandos. That board game had to change its name from V-Commados to V-Sabotage because its genre, look and feel, and overall gameplay was considered far too similar (and in all fairness, I immediately thought the same thing when I saw the board game) to a computer game series called Commandos.

Maia and I own the board game with the older name V-Commandos. We bought it right before the name got changed (although it wasn't for that reason), and that's pretty cool because now it's a collector's item!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:53 pmStill, copyright is copyright. *shrug*
Trademark, not copyright. You can't copyright names, titles, short phrases or expressions, but you CAN trademark them.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... V-Sabotage/V-Commandos looks interesting. I've no interest in the computer game series, given that I'm not that interested in FPSes.

As for trademark vs. copyright -- fair enough. Thanks for the correction. :) I tried googling "What can you copyright" and was astounded by the range of things that can be copyrighted (or copywritten?) -- movies, song lyrics, actual songs, photographs, even blog posts.

I get trademarking names (e.g. business names), but people can't trademark their own birth-names, right? ;) I'm sure some have tried.

I've also heard of people trying to give their kids silly names (e.g. someone wanting to call his kid "ABCDEFG" etc., all the way to Z), which can cause legal complications. In Brazil, apparently, the most common first names for boys used to be "Adidas" and "Adolf Hitler", until a judge clamped down on that several years ago. :shock: I also remember one girl in New Zealand, years and years ago, who wanted to change her name because her parents named her "Tallulah does the Hula from Hawaii".

I guess the parents hate their kids? :roll: Or just not thinking ahead? Those poor kids are going to be so embarrassed in school, not to mention what happens when they try finding a job! ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:57 am Hmm ... V-Sabotage/V-Commandos looks interesting. I've no interest in the computer game series, given that I'm not that interested in FPSes.
Did you look at the Wikipedia entry I linked to in the previous post? Only the last game in the Commandos series (Commandos Strike Force) is an FPS. The others are real-time tactics.

Here's a link to the Commandos Ammo Pack (which includes the first game, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, and its add-on pack), and the Commandos 2+3 bundle, all of which are on sale at GOG.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, whoops! My mistake, sorry. (I looked at the Wikipedia entries for all three games, but didn't notice the genre). *shrug* I usually prefer fantasy/RPG to modern-day-type or sci-fi scenarios. (I did try the first Starcraft, which was interesting).

Is Starcraft an isometric real-time tactics game? I always thought of it as a real-time strategy game, like Warcraft and so on.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:53 pm Is Starcraft an isometric real-time tactics game? I always thought of it as a real-time strategy game, like Warcraft and so on.
Starcraft, Warcraft, and all of their sequels are usually categorized as real-time strategy games.

So what's the difference between a real-time strategy game and a real-time tactics game? The scale of the conflict is the major difference (and this also applies to turn-based strategy and turn-based tactics).

Here's an example: if you're controlling large groups of people, the genre is generally considered "strategy" whereas if you're controlling a small group of people it's considered tactics.

So in a strategy game you might control entire armies or civilizations, but in a tactics game, you're probably limited to a handful of units at most. This is why the Commandos games are considered "tactics" whereas Starcraft is considered "strategy."

That said, there's a HUGE degree of overlap, so many people label all of them "strategy."

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”