Huzzah! I finally finished Laura Bow 1: The Colonel's Bequest!

Feeling like this game could be murder... literally? Well, come on in here for some extra detective work (and clues/hints/etc!) for the Laura Bow games (The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Huzzah! I finally finished Laura Bow 1: The Colonel's Bequest!

Post by Rath Darkblade »

It took me some time (all that walking back and forth, plus dying five times). IIRC:

- I was killed in the shower
- I was eaten by an alligator
- I was DONGED on the head with the falling bell
- I took a tumble off the stairs (not a pretty sight!); and
- I fell down the secret trapdoor (because I didn't have a light).

Are there other ways to die in LB1? :twisted:

To be honest, I thought LB2 had more complicated characters -- and a much more complicated plot -- than LB1. (Sure, the plot in LB1 is scarier, but Laura in LB1 seems almost indestructible. I hardly ever died, even -- unlike LB2, where I died quite often).

Sure, the names were fun (though a bit cliche -- Gloria Swansong, W. C. Feels, Clarence Sparrow -- all right, puns. But Fifi the French Maid, who speaks like zis? And Jeeves the butler, who hardly says anything?)

Celie reminds me of Mammy from "Gone With the Wind". Rudy Dijon reminds me of ... someone, but I can't recall who. Rudolph Valentino? I don't know. Does anyone know if he's a reference to someone?

On the other hand, Col. Dijon's history (fought in the Spanish-American War, brought home his army clothes, decorated war hero) is fun. :D But there's one thing I found unbelievable: apparently he took not one, but several bullets in the pelvic region and the shoulders ... and he's still alive. :shock: Wouldn't the shock and the blood loss mean he'd die very quickly, especially since he was carrying a wounded soldier off the battlefield? The standards of battlefield medicine were improving by the Spanish-American War of 1898, but were quite low by today's standards.

Just for fun, I'll try to reconstruct Col. Henri Dijon's life story. :) Here we go:

- Game starts in 1925, and Dijon is an old man (late 60s, if I remember).
- Dijon fought in the Spanish-American War (which was 1898).
- There are Civil War artefacts in the vaults.

So:

- Col. Dijon was probably born between 1856 and 1858 (so he'd be between 67 and 69 years old).
- Therefore, he was between 40 and 42 years old when he was wounded.
- The Civil War treasures you find in the vault probably belonged to his parents. So it's nice that Laura gets to enjoy them.

Anyway, I finally beat the game (and saw both endings). Yay! :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Huzzah! I finally finished Laura Bow 1: The Colonel's Bequest!

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:35 am Are there other ways to die in LB1? :twisted:
Yes. A lot more ways.
A chandelier can crush you.
The murderer can push you down the stairs.
The murderer can kill you in the attic.
The sword from the armor can kill you.
Those are just off the top of my head.
I know there's way more.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:35 am To be honest, I thought LB2 had more complicated characters -- and a much more complicated plot -- than LB1. (Sure, the plot in LB1 is scarier, but Laura in LB1 seems almost indestructible. I hardly ever died, even -- unlike LB2, where I died quite often).
LB2 does have more complicated characters and more complicated scenes, which, sure is great.
But I love the straight up "CLUE" feeling of LB1.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:35 am Anyway, I finally beat the game (and saw both endings). Yay! :D
Congrats!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Congratulations on finishing LB1! And give yourself an extra pat on the back for not getting killed by the chandelier!

Tawm missed several, luckily they're all here:
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I didn't even know there was a chute in Laura and Lillian's room. :shock:

Why does the chandelier fall? I never saw that.

Heh. I knew enough not to bother the horse or go to the swamp. ;)

Why does Laura get grabbed in the broom closet (4:40) and/or secret passages? As for someone grabbing and choking Laura in the attic (5:14) - where did that come from?

By the way, why does Lillian read stories to the toys? It's ... weird. And creepy. I don't think I saw that coming.

Also, this is very interesting:

The Secrets of LB1 (warning: long, but worth it) :)
The Crimson Diamond, an upcoming adventure game in the style of LB1

One last thing: I fell three points short of becoming a super-sleuth, and now I've learned why. ;) I didn't smell Lillian's perfume, among other things.

So I'm just wondering: did anyone get super-sleuth? Does something different happen if you do? :)

Oh, and I didn't go to the graveyard. Is there anything to do there?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:16 pm I didn't even know there was a chute in Laura and Lillian's room. :shock:
Why does the chandelier fall? I never saw that.
Heh. I knew enough not to bother the horse or go to the swamp. ;)
Why does Laura get grabbed in the broom closet (4:40) and/or secret passages? As for someone grabbing and choking Laura in the attic (5:14) - where did that come from?
By the way, why does Lillian read stories to the toys? It's ... weird. And creepy. I don't think I saw that coming.
One last thing: I fell three points short of becoming a super-sleuth, and now I've learned why. ;) I didn't smell Lillian's perfume, among other things.
So I'm just wondering: did anyone get super-sleuth? Does something different happen if you do? :)
Oh, and I didn't go to the graveyard. Is there anything to do there?
It's a laundry chute... or, you know, a body chute. Depends.
The Chandelier falls if you walk in a specific area (I think directly beneath it).
The closet grab (I said you get pushed, you actually get grabbed) and the attic are both the murderer getting to you (if you get too close to where they're hiding)
The Lillian thing was great...
Now Semi Happy Partygoer's images make more sense, I take it?
http://forums.sierrahelp.com/viewtopic. ... 863#p87863
http://forums.sierrahelp.com/viewtopic. ... 931#p87931

And if you didn't go in the graveyard, then you didn't see something that appears there... so yes, there's something there. The chance of seeing it is random.
I was just shy of Super Slueth (1 point?)

BBP wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:10 pm Congratulations on finishing LB1! And give yourself an extra pat on the back for not getting killed by the chandelier!
Tawm missed several, luckily they're all here:

This is so good.

Return to “The Laura Bow Games”