Favorite of the Series?

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:54 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:14 pm TBH, the bits in between the plazas remind me of a D&D-style dungeon-crawler (a very old one, sure ... think late 70s style) ;)
Most Dungeon Crawlers (computer wise) were top down/side ways - like Pool of Radiance. But most of them had built in MAPS (press "M" for example) that would pull up the map and show you where you are.

However, Wizardry - which, I admittedly loved was indeed like that - but it was also grid based, so it was very easy (and back then) fun to make a map.

Wizardry 6 was a huge leap in graphic quality...

Then by Wizardry 7, dungeons were minimal and it was mostly exterior (same as Wizardry 8).

But in terms of actual D&D - yes, back then - D&D was a mess of random dungeons. And I loved it back then (D&D, that is). But so thankful it's grown the way it has to focus more on story and less on "death waits behind this door." :D
What about Tomb of Annihilation? Or ... gawds save us ... Tomb of Horrors? :twisted:
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 pm One thing that I found odd about the city "halls" is that they look like they are indoors which I don't think is supposed to be the case. These are city streets/alleys and should be out in the open. Even the plazas don't show they sky. The result is that it looks like you are wandering around a giant shopping mall.
Honestly, I always thought those were tunnels and not hallways until I saw the remake.

Shapeir really reminds me of a defunct hotel in Las Vegas called The Aladdin (not the original one from 1962 to 1997, but a newer one that lasted from 2000 to 2007). The Aladdin had a really cool Middle Eastern-themed shopping mall built into the hotel called The Desert Passage which also had a day/night cycle.

Unfortunately, the hotel didn't do all that well after 9/11 and it was later bought out and turned into Planet Hollywood, a very generic Las Vegas hotel. They also rebranded the shopping area, but if you look carefully you'll see remnants of The Desert Passage all around.

The Aladdin was built at the tail end of a time when Las Vegas was trying to change its image into something more "family friendly," which is also when hotels like The Excalibur (shaped like a castle) or The Luxor (shaped like a pyramid) were built, each with an Arthurian Legends theme or Ancient Egyptian theme. The whole "Las Vegas is for the entire family idea" didn't last too long, so despite those two hotels still existing today, they barely resemble their original incarnation.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:32 pm
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 pm One thing that I found odd about the city "halls" is that they look like they are indoors which I don't think is supposed to be the case. These are city streets/alleys and should be out in the open. Even the plazas don't show they sky. The result is that it looks like you are wandering around a giant shopping mall.
Honestly, I always thought those were tunnels and not hallways until I saw the remake.
The way they look in the original, they very much have a tunnels/maze feel to them.

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”