Favorite of the Series?

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Er ... and the silver heart is the urn where Ludwig's heart is kept, is it? *shrug*

People are such romantics. Ludwig died in 1886. If his heart really survived that long (109 years when GK2 was made, in 1995), it would've been ... what -- the size of a peanut? *shrug*

Besides, I see no reason why Ludwig's heart should be around for Grace to take. I've studied Ludwig's autopsy papers, and they don't mention the physicians doing anything as squishy as cutting Ludwig's heart out and storing it somewhere else. If they did, surely that would be noted. Also, Bavaria is a Catholic and/or Lutheran part of Germany, so doing such a thing is very frowned upon.

I'm not saying that such a thing is totally impossible. It's certainly happened for other kings (e.g. Richard the Lionheart). But in Ludwig's case, it seems very implausible.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:42 am I've studied Ludwig's autopsy papers, and they don't mention the physicians doing anything as squishy as cutting Ludwig's heart out and storing it somewhere else. If they did, surely that would be noted. Also, Bavaria is a Catholic and/or Lutheran part of Germany, so doing such a thing is very frowned upon.

I'm not saying that such a thing is totally impossible. It's certainly happened for other kings (e.g. Richard the Lionheart). But in Ludwig's case, it seems very implausible.
Uh straight from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_II_of_Bavaria
Ludwig's remains were dressed in the regalia of the Order of Saint Hubert, and lay in state in the royal chapel at the Munich Residence Palace. In his right hand, he held a posy of white jasmine picked for him by his cousin the Empress Elisabeth of Austria.[50] After an elaborate funeral on 19 June 1886, Ludwig's remains were interred in the crypt of the Michaelskirche in Munich. His heart, however, does not lie with the rest of his body. Bavarian tradition called for the heart of the king to be placed in a silver urn and sent to the Chapel of Grace in Altötting, where it was placed beside those of his father and grandfather.

And from another site - the urn with his heart...
https://www.topfoto.co.uk/asset/4459584/

This site also mentions it -
https://www.sticanada.com/blog/king-lud ... mysterious

After an elaborate funeral on June 19, 1886, Ludwig's remains were interred in the crypt of the Michaelskirche in Munich. HBavarian tradition called for the heart of the king to be placed in a silver urn and sent to the Gnadenkapelle (Chapel of Mercy) in Altötting, where it was placed beside those of his father and grandfather. Three years after his death, a small memorial chapel was built overlooking the site and a cross was erected in the lake. A remembrance ceremony is held there each year on June 13.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Whoops! *blush* Well, I was wrong. I apologise. Thank you for correcting me. :)

But, still ... Ludwig's heart shouldn't be around for Grace to take. :? Shouldn't it be kept under lock and key? Or bullet-proof glass, or something?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:43 pm Whoops! *blush* Well, I was wrong. I apologise. Thank you for correcting me. :)

But, still ... Ludwig's heart shouldn't be around for Grace to take. :? Shouldn't it be kept under lock and key? Or bullet-proof glass, or something?
Well, it does require doing it in the dark. So it's not that easy. And it's not like people think someone's gonna steal something from inside the urn.
(And it's not his heart she takes... it is just where his heart was... it's a piece of the play/music/whatever, that was stored in there if I remember correctly). But the clue was look to Lugwig II's heart or something.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

The clue is in the startup video: "Put this with my heart in Altötting."
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:26 am The clue is in the startup video: "Put this with my heart in Altötting."
That. :)

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”