Sigh. Why does trying to play EA games have to be so frustrating?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Sigh. Why does trying to play EA games have to be so frustrating?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm looking at you, Dragon Age. *crosses arms, taps foot* ;)

So, I got a new computer, and finally got my DVD-ROM drive working, so I thought I'd take DAO for a spin. (Yes, it's old, but I've modded it to eliminate bugs, restore cut scenes and make it look better. So it might be fun). :)

To no-one's surprise, the mods that came with the DVD (i.e. Awakening, the one for the golem Shale etc.) weren't installing, because the EA servers for DA don't exist any more. I looked up how I can install these, and found that the only way forward was to install something called the EA App. :roll: Fine. If it's just an app ... fine. Whatever. Let's get this show on the road.

I installed it, re-installed the missing mods, and the game starts. Hurrah. Buuuuuuuuuuut ... now the game won't start unless I start this EA App, also.

*grinds teeth together*

Why do I have to have this useless POS on my computer? :x I don't want it. I don't use it. I don't need it ... UNLESS when I want to play DAO.

Why does EA have to make everything so complicated, damn it? :x
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Sigh. Why does trying to play EA games have to be so frustrating?

Post by Tawmis »

Just buy the DA:O Ultimate on GoG for like 5 bucks. It's on sale RIGHT NOW, before it goes back up to 19.99

https://www.gog.com/en/game/dragon_age_origins

Dragon Age™: Origins
You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of this legendary order of guardians. With the return of mankind's ancient foe and the kingdom engulfed in civil war, you have been chosen by fate to unite the shattered lands and slay the archdemon once and for all. Explore a stunning world, make complex moral choices, and engage in bone-crushing combat against massive and terrifying creatures.

Determine your legacy and fight for Thedas as a noble dwarf, an elf far from home, a mage apprentice, or a customized hero of your own design. Experience many unique origin stories on your quest to unite the kingdoms and defeat an ancient evil.

Awakening Expansion Pack
Become the commander of the Grey Wardens and embark on a new campaign in the world of Amaranthine. You'll fight new enemies, learn new spells, and fend off the advancing Darkspawn forces.

Nine Content Packs
The Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, Return to Ostagar, Feastday Gifts, Lailana's Song, The Darkspawn Chronicles, The Golems of Amgarrak, Witch Hunt, and the Blood Dragon Armor.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

To answer Rath's question, everyone has their own digital distribution service now. What makes it especially annoying is that they launch even if the game you own is on another service. For example a Ubisoft game on Steam will launch Ubisoft Connect first before launching the game. So now you have two services running. Unfortunately were stuck with things this way unless, as Tawmis mentioned, you get the game via GOG which does not require Galaxy to run. Though I think there may be some exceptions to this.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. I don't think I experienced this "double distribution service" thing before. Just curious: if I uninstall this EA App, could I still run DA:O? ;)

The only reason I haven't bought DA:O on GOG is because I use a lot of mods. (Also, I apparently have to download the GOG Galaxy client before I can install the thing). I'm not sure how I can download the installer without the client, sorry.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 pm Hmm. I don't think I experienced this "double distribution service" thing before. Just curious: if I uninstall this EA App, could I still run DA:O? ;)

The only reason I haven't bought DA:O on GOG is because I use a lot of mods. (Also, I apparently have to download the GOG Galaxy client before I can install the thing). I'm not sure how I can download the installer without the client, sorry.
You don't have to download the GoG Galaxy. We discussed this not too long ago.

2023-08-06 16_38_14-Clipboard.png

And why wouldn't you be able to use your mods with the DA:O from GoG?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 pm Hmm. I don't think I experienced this "double distribution service" thing before.
Do you own any games that require a separate company-owned digital distribution service, like UPlay? If not, then that's why.

FYI, the EA App is apparently the successor to Origin, EA's previous Steam-wannabe digital distribution platform. If you played Inquisition, then you've used Origin in the past, so using the EA App shouldn't be all too different.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 pm The only reason I haven't bought DA:O on GOG is because I use a lot of mods.
Wait... what? If you got those mods on Nexus Mods then it won't matter where you download DA:O from.

Also, don't confuse mods with expansions, DLC, or content packs. They aren't the same thing. Awakenings, for instance, is an expansion, not a mod. A mod is a third-party addition created to do things that aren't normally part of the game, such as certain graphical or gameplay changes.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 pm (Also, I apparently have to download the GOG Galaxy client before I can install the thing).
No, you don't. Tawmis, notbobsmith, MI, and I have already told you don't need Galaxy to download or play games (the one exception being some games that have accounts tied to multiplayer components).

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I've lost count of the number of times we've had to explain, in detail, how to do the most basic things with GOG or Steam, only for you to ask the same damn question soon after that. Don't get me wrong, we're happy to help you in most cases, but at some point you need to start taking notes because you obviously don't remember anything we've told you in the past.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

How I imagine DPX looked writing the above... :D

Side note, I had no idea they retired Origin. I had several games in Origin, but it looks like those migrated to EA Play according to what I read on Wikipedia. But really only had a few Star Wars games (that I won't replay probably), Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I ended up getting DAO on GoG later, anyway.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:12 pm How I imagine DPX looked writing the above... :D
The funny thing is I rewrote that at least five times. I really didn't want to hurt Rath's feelings, but at the same time I was definitely a bit irate. :lol:
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm sorry I made you so irate, DPX. *blush* :( My memory isn't what it used to be, and thanks to the fact that I haven't used GOG in several months, I never tried the above out for myself. (Yes, I know you all have told me how to do it, but doing things for yourself is the best way to remember).

Thank you for putting up with my repeated questions. :(

As for mods and such - yep, I'm aware that Awakenings is an expansion, not a mod. I was thinking of mods such as making the DAO graphics look better, restoring scenes that were cut -- that kind of thing. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:44 pm As for mods and such - yep, I'm aware that Awakenings is an expansion, not a mod. I was thinking of mods such as making the DAO graphics look better, restoring scenes that were cut -- that kind of thing. :)
Yeah, all of that should still work with the GoG version (do the offline files version!) However, admittedly - at those file sizes, I think I remember you saying your internet speed isn't great - so those downloads could be murder.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sorry, which downloads do you mean? The one from GOG, or the mods themselves?

I downloaded DAO from the EA App, which took only a few minutes. I tried downloading a few mods from Nexus Mods (using NMM), which took about 10 minutes.

I've no idea what happened. I noticed that this huge increase in my download speed happened after my recent upgrade to a new computer, which included Win11 on an SSD, plus more RAM. Coincidence? Possibly, since I can't think there'd be any direct correlation. Can there? *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:35 pm Sorry, which downloads do you mean? The one from GOG, or the mods themselves?

I downloaded DAO from the EA App, which took only a few minutes. I tried downloading a few mods from Nexus Mods (using NMM), which took about 10 minutes.
Yes, I meant from GoG.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”