Colossal Cave (was Ken & Roberta Game Announcement)

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Colossal Cave (was Ken & Roberta Game Announcement)

Post by Rath Darkblade »

All right. Neither of them vanished, and I can see them both too. :)
Tawmis wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:06 pm Also Peter Parker would not have picked them. He would have used his webs. :D
:lol: Spoilsport. ;)

All right ... Peter Parker packed a punch for pilfering pests.

(That's what he does, right? Or is that Superman?) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

https://mailchi.mp/cygnusentertainment/enchanted

From the Desk of Roberta Williams …

I am very proud to announce our updated Colossal Cave 2.0, our new ‘enchanted cave’ version! I have always admired this historic text adventure, referring to it as deeply engaging and captivating -- arguably the spark that ignited the onset of computer gaming – and have desired for many years to bring it to life with beautiful graphics, atmospheric sounds, and characters of charm…or roguery. This has always been an enchanted cave which – beware! -- is also your adversary, and it was important that we capture that imagery and spirit. I am now so excited by our considerable efforts that I urge everyone to check out our latest release, Colossal Cave 2.0. My team and I have been hard at work the last eight months since our January release of Colossal Cave perfecting playability while also enhancing the mysterious, metaphysical, and immersive nature of Colossal Cave.

Ahead of this undertaking, I reviewed the many reactions to our initial release – both positive and negative. I adapted or corrected the unfavorable responses while at the same time maintaining or improving the complimentary ones – though always keeping in mind the essence of the original gameplay which, to me, is sacrosanct. As a game designer myself, I recognize a great design. It is my humble opinion that the original Colossal Cave has stood the test of time due to the innovative and imaginative minds of Will Crowther and Don Woods, the original creators of this classic text adventure game. When Ken and I decided to reimagine Colossal Cave, I swore not to change the gameplay and strategy of these two ingenious men. Although, to be fair, there are those who would argue that by adding 3D graphics, character animations, sound effects, or music – and even a point-and-click interface – that would be changing it. Well, yes – I do agree with that. But still, my assertion is that, as with any script of a story, or a design strategy of a game, the means of experiencing it can be done in various ways or means, similar to reading a book and then experiencing that same story in a movie.

I am very excited for players of all ages – but for those who especially love adventure games – to experience Colossal Cave 2.0. Broadly speaking, here are the enrichments:

- Enhanced graphics (higher-resolution textures, post-processing to enhance colors, more real-time lighting and shadows, realistic-looking water, magical effects, particle effects with mist, fog, and smoke – among other graphical embellishments).

- The addition of player footstep sound effects while traversing the Colossal Cave world. And I took great care to make them sound very realistic.
More atmospheric sound effects really bring the cave alive. I imagined the cave having a spirit, an essential ‘being’ without a body. There is an ‘aliveness,’ but also mystery and magic.

- Improving the animation of the many characters inhabiting the cave – giving them more charm…or nastiness! The cave itself is your adversary – not any one of the characters. It really is between YOU and the CAVE. Bettering the IU, the interface. To make Colossal Cave – 2.0 – easy to play without having to figure out the interface. Playing the game is enough to think about!

As a final entreaty: check out our free Demo! You will be able to experience almost 20% of Colossal Cave 2.0 before deciding on whether you’d like to buy it for yourself. My fingers are crossed and know that you won’t be disappointed!

Finally, both The Enchanted Bundle and the solo version for Steam/PC VR are currently 25% off, until Monday morning*!

Grab it while you can!
* Steam Autumn Sale ends 11-28-2023 at 10:00am PST.

All my best,

Roberta
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Colossal Game Sale Alert! Sweep up the GOG Bundle and VR with a massive 50% off from April 23rd to April 30th. And don't miss out on our PlayStation Bundle and VR2 deal: 25% off, or 30% for PS+ members, from April 24th to May 8th! Celebrate Golden Week in Asia and Japan, and enjoy May Savings in Europe and the Americas. Don't let these deals slip away! #GameSale #ColossalCave #VRGaming https://www.gog.com/en/game/colossal_cave
Attachments
The beautiful Roberta Williams. <3
The beautiful Roberta Williams. <3
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:27 pm Colossal Game Sale Alert! Sweep up the GOG Bundle and VR with a massive 50% off from April 23rd to April 30th. And don't miss out on our PlayStation Bundle and VR2 deal: 25% off, or 30% for PS+ members, from April 24th to May 8th! Celebrate Golden Week in Asia and Japan, and enjoy May Savings in Europe and the Americas. Don't let these deals slip away! #GameSale #ColossalCave #VRGaming https://www.gog.com/en/game/colossal_cave
Is Roberta channelling her inner Roger Wilco? ;)

I'm sad to see this game being rated "Weak" on GOG, despite the fact that there are only two (yes, TWO) negative reviews out of eight. (Wait, what?)

Also, I'm confused that this is on sale, but only on GOG. (I checked Steam, and it's not on sale there... so...) :(
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 am I'm sad to see this game being rated "Weak" on GOG, despite the fact that there are only two (yes, TWO) negative reviews out of eight. (Wait, what?)
Well, two reviews out of eight is not an insubstantial percentage. Regardless, this is a very niche game: it's a 3D recreation of a very old text adventure that heavily banks on the names "Ken and Roberta Williams." The truth is that the vast majority of gamers today, even those who like adventure games, won't have a clue who they are.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 am Also, I'm confused that this is on sale, but only on GOG. (I checked Steam, and it's not on sale there... so...) :(
Steam and GOG don't always run concurrent sales. In fact, they often stagger their sales on purpose.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Return to “Other Sierra Games”