The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Post by Tawmis »

JasefWisener wrote:Yeah, yeah. I'm very behind. I just started Season 3 of Dexter (I'm on the 3rd episode). It's pretty good so far, and I love Jimmy Smitt's role.

Although, I'll admit that I was pretty shocked about Rita being pregnant. Not that it was completely unexpected, though. I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out.
It gets better. Oh so much better...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So... got some shows on DVD that I loved as a kid and am pleasantly still enjoying...

Anyone ever watch Tales of the Gold Monkey or Thundarr the Barbarian?

Owning these on DVD is awesome sauce for me.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

AndreaDraco wrote:I'm sure you'll love it. And if you have the time for a long series of very long, very massive novels, I strongly recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire books. Considering you're a fantasy fan, I have no doubt you'll like them very much ;)
I don't read as much secondary world fantasy I used to. I sort of overdosed on earlier and tend to prefer mythic fiction/urban fantasy now. However, if I feel in the mood for something more classic, I'll look it up. I could use a change. :)

DPX and I recently finished watching the first season of Todd and the Book of Pure Evil. I stumbled upon it on Space one night and found it surprisingly hilarious (in a shocking and ridiculous kind of way). Not for the faint of heart, in more ways than one. :D Unfortunately, TV doesn't have a gore setting. ;)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Maiandra wrote:I don't read as much secondary world fantasy I used to. I sort of overdosed on earlier and tend to prefer mythic fiction/urban fantasy now. However, if I feel in the mood for something more classic, I'll look it up. I could use a change. :)
Believe me: Martin's world is anything but classic :D

I'm sure the TV show will entagle you all!

Mwuahahahahah! :twisted:
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

I'm so glad that Being Human is back for its third season. I just watched the season opener and I pretty much spend the entire hour in a state of glee.

This being the original series, not the American remake.

Whats up with the wave of US remakes of British series. I couldn't make it through two episodes of the remake of Life On Mars while I adored the original. I read about the controversy surrounding the remake of Skins which just makes me laugh as apparantly the remake is watered down from the original.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

therogue wrote:Whats up with the wave of US remakes of British series.
The same thing that's up with remakes in general. We've run out of ideas, so we're making shows and movies that lack any sense of originality or are simply reboots.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

therogue wrote:I'm so glad that Being Human is back for its third season. I just watched the season opener and I pretty much spend the entire hour in a state of glee.

This being the original series, not the American remake.

Whats up with the wave of US remakes of British series. I couldn't make it through two episodes of the remake of Life On Mars while I adored the original. I read about the controversy surrounding the remake of Skins which just makes me laugh as apparantly the remake is watered down from the original.
Skins is embarassing. Totally watered down. The first two seasons of the original UK series are in another universe of quality compared to it.

Being Human US isn't that bad, on the other hand, but the actor playing the role of Aidan (= Mitchell) is just plainly mediocre.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

AndreaDraco wrote: Being Human US isn't that bad, on the other hand, but the actor playing the role of Aidan (= Mitchell) is just plainly mediocre.
Thats a shame, the strength of the original is its cast. The original is taking its characters in some very interesting directions.

Also, I agree the first two seasons of Skins were very good. I lost interest in the next generation, teen shows tend to be so not my thing but I was sucked in depsite myself. I blame Tony (Nicholas Hoult, who went onto such movies as A Single Man & X-Men First Class) :p
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

therogue wrote:Also, I agree the first two seasons of Skins were very good. I lost interest in the next generation, teen shows tend to be so not my thing but I was sucked in depsite myself. I blame Tony (Nicholas Hoult, who went onto such movies as A Single Man & X-Men First Class) :p
Even if I usually like teen dramas, I blame Tony too :lol:
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

:lol: Tony does deserve to be blamed for most things

Remakes a plenty out there, the season does seem to be very busy though with Being Human, Skins and Shameless remakes coming out at the same time.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote: Being Human US isn't that bad, on the other hand, but the actor playing the role of Aidan (= Mitchell) is just plainly mediocre.
I actually don't mind any of the cast - except the girl playing the ghost. All I wanted to do was punch her.

We're giving it till the next episode to see if we continue to watch it. So the next episode is the sink or swim for my wife and I.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Have you seen the original, Tawmis?

Believe me, it's much, much, much better.

Esample: why on Earth the werewolf's long-lost girlfriend became his lesbian sister? Why lesbian? What the hell does it add to the story? I think it's just been done for the sake of it and I hate when homosexuality gets thrown in just for the WTF factor.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:Have you seen the original, Tawmis?

Believe me, it's much, much, much better.

Esample: why on Earth the werewolf's long-lost girlfriend became his lesbian sister? Why lesbian? What the hell does it add to the story? I think it's just been done for the sake of it and I hate when homosexuality gets thrown in just for the WTF factor.
So originally it's his long lost girl friend? That's how they seemed to be playing it - then suddenly you find out - it's his sister. That was more of a shocker than the other change you mentioned.

As for the change they made - See, the thing is - it's always a catch-22. It seems the folks want more characters in there who are homosexual to represent themselves as a part of the population - but then sometimes, when it's thrown in - it's like, "Why did you do that?"

While I am sure the show is BASED off the original - it will probably veer off and become it's own monster - no pun intended. Sort of like THE OFFICE did. The first few episodes of the American episodes were almost exact copies of the British one, with some very slight variations. Now, if I am not mistaken, it's out lasted the British version and become it's own thing. So I think they're taking the concept from the British - then, use a few episodes to establish itself - then it will become it's own thing. So them making it from long lost girlfriend to Lesbian Sister is probably their way of "Modernizing" the show to "today's standards" and desires.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

See, I don't mind when they take the concept and make it their own by taking it in a different direction. Hell, it sure as hell beats taking the script and reshooting it word for word and only changing the geography. In the case of Being Human they are going to have to make significant changes because the British series has 6 episodes in the first season and 8 in the second. I'm assuming that the American season is going to be longer.

Beyond the very basics (ghost, vampire, werewolf) the remake characters aren't copies of the originals and thats cool. I have to say, I really don't find it a strange thing that they made the sister gay. I honestly don't see why thats supposed to be shocking. Fiction generally reflects the world back at us through a different lens. To pretend that everyone with a part in the story is straight is just silly.

Anyway, if we're talking reboots. I must admit that I quite enjoy the new Hawaii Five-O yes its as dumb as a box of hair but dear god its pretty to look at.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

therogue wrote:I have to say, I really don't find it a strange thing that they made the sister gay. I honestly don't see why thats supposed to be shocking. Fiction generally reflects the world back at us through a different lens. To pretend that everyone with a part in the story is straight is just silly.
Don't mistake me. I'm totally with you on the last part.

However, when showrunners and authors add a gay character to their story just for the sake of it, just to stir up some kind of shock, that irks me to no end. See, when the sister is revealed to be a lesbian, I thought: why? Why is it important to the story that the sister is gay? What meaningful stories could be told about it?

If this was the UK show, I'm sure they will treat the character's sexuality tastefully and appropriately, whilst being SyFy I'm dubious and I tend to think that they added it just for a WTF moment.

To be honest, there is only one American network that - so far - has talked about sexuality in a meaningful, thought-provoking way. And that's HBO. The others - The CW in primis, but the rest isn't that better - are a mixed bag, varying greatly from show to show. But I found that, unfortunately, LGBT topics get the worst treatment in genre shows -- and that's why I've no high hopes for this remake.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”