What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by BBP »

I did 4 and 6 already. Needed a lot of help with both of them :D
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:36 pm I did 4 and 6 already. Needed a lot of help with both of them :D
4 is pretty mean. SQ3 has death traps everywhere.

SQ1 and SQ2 do have death traps - but I feel like SQ3 they really had a lot of fun of that.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I didn't pick up anything for this year's summer sales, so I dug into my backlog for a summer RPG and tried out "Alpha Protocol". And for a game I've barely heard of, I REALLY liked it! It's a "tactical espionage RPG", similar to "Mass Effect", but with the pastiche of a globe-trotting "Mission Impossible" movie. In fact, it's probably the most Bioware-like game I've played that doesn't come from Bioware. Lots of dialogue trees, branching stories, and character relationships can change based the order you play your missions. It's a really fun ride.

Unfortunately, something I discovered just now is that this game is no longer available for purchase anywhere. Sounds like they had a copyright issue with the game's soundtrack and lost distribution rights this year. I'll keep an ear out in case it turns up in stores again.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am on travel... and recently purchased the PlayStation Mini (Mini PlayStation? Whichever it's called) for $20 - all because of Final Fantasy VII (I got to the end and never beat Seperoth back in the day! Because of that damn Meteor Summon he does!) - so because it's so small (weighs less than a pound! No joke!) - I brought it with me - plugs into the HDMI slot on the hotel TV and uses USB power! So it's SUPER convenient! So while I have been in San Jose I have been playing Final Fantasy VII again. :) Will probably always take it with me on travel and probably only play it then (and not at home all that much).

Problem is - it's WAY more pixelated than I remember. I am not sure if it's because of high resolution 4K TVs these days....
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

CRT TVs hide the pixelation with its bleeding phosphors quite a bit. I was thinking of picking up the PSmini myself at some point. I wonder if it can be hacked like the NES/SNES minis can.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:23 pm CRT TVs hide the pixelation with its bleeding phosphors quite a bit. I was thinking of picking up the PSmini myself at some point. I wonder if it can be hacked like the NES/SNES minis can.
Is there anything that can't be hacked? It has "virtual" drives on it so I don't see why it can't be.
I've got no interest in hacking mine, since I got it strictly for FFVII. $20 for FFVII is worth it. To have it be portable and easy even better! Throw another... whatever 60? ... games on there, bonus.

My wife, Christmas (this past year) also got me the ATARI VCS... Which I am still waiting for.
https://atarivcs.com/
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:53 pm$20 for FFVII is worth it. To have it be portable and easy even better! Throw another... whatever 60? ... games on there, bonus.
A portable FF7 is definitely worth $20. I've previously bought it for PS1, PC, and PS3 digital, and it still feels like a fulfilling way to spend 60+ hours in front of a TV. :)

But definitely set a few hours aside for the ending boss. And don't worry about Sephiroth's supernova attack - it's gravity-based and only lowers your health instead of kill you directly. Just keep healing magic available. And maybe hoard your mega-potions for this fight.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

I've been on a Tomb Raider kick lately. Recently finished Underworld and I'm on the last level of Anniversary. Been 10 years or so since I first played them, so I'd forgotten enough to make them seem like new again.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I just finished playing the first Broken Sword game. It was fun. :) I played the second one many, many years ago - I wonder how the rest in the series stack up. Any ideas? ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Most people agree that the first is the best. I've played both the original and the remake. Remake may have more puzzles but the original is much harder. You can actually die in the original - and the deaths are pretty cruel.

Second has some great segments. There's a long Maya disk puzzle that is very lasting and repetitive, but you can bypass it by clicking a certain pixel.

Third - I actually just watched a playthrough of this - I have to say I enjoyed it in spite of its problems. There are some standard puzzles that are boring and a lot of simple crate puzzles, stealth sections that seem nigh impossible and the ending will make you think WTF, but there are some great characters! Some great segments too - the abandoned theatre, the Congo temple...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:21 pm I've been on a Tomb Raider kick lately. Recently finished Underworld and I'm on the last level of Anniversary. Been 10 years or so since I first played them, so I'd forgotten enough to make them seem like new again.
Nice! I grabbed the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy from Steam last year ($1 per game, can't complain) and I've been saving them for when I eventually get through the rest of my backlog. Tomb Raider's always been a fun series to return to.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am I just finished playing the first Broken Sword game. It was fun. :) I played the second one many, many years ago - I wonder how the rest in the series stack up. Any ideas? ;)
First, best.
Second, still good and fun.
Third? I rather like it, despite the box pushing puzzles.
Fourth? No. Just... no.
Fifth, can't say yet. I'll get around to it one day.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP, you can die in the original Broken Sword? How? :? I played right through, no problems. Never felt like I was in danger.

Lady Piermont was fun. :lol: So was the rude clerk in the hotel. "Mais non, monsieur! I will not help you in any way at all!" ;)

I was a bit disappointed that we never got to see the Sword of Baphomet, though.

I remember the Mayan disk thing in BS2. It took forever. I can't remember much else about BS2, though, except that it was set in Ecuador, I think? Which confused me, because the Mayans never got anywhere near Ecuador.

Datadog ... box pushing puzzles? What do you mean? :?
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pmDatadog ... box pushing puzzles? What do you mean? :?
BS3 uses 3D controls, so they included a few platforming, stealth and box pushing segments similar to other 3D games of its era. It's still an adventure game, but those segments might be off-putting if you're expecting a similar experience to BS1 or 2.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, OK. I can't remember those - maybe I didn't get as far as that.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I just started playing the original Alone in the Dark for the first time with my son. Despite the exceedingly aged graphics, it still managed to creep out my son who had trouble watching lol. I have clear memories of playing Alone in the Dark 3 which my dad bought on CD-ROM when it was newer. That was fun and I loved the music. It's nice to see where it all started. I remember the beginning area from an Alone in the Dark demo I had played once since as a kid, but never got through it. This time I'm more patient lol. Managed to get downstairs, though, and making my way through the place.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”