Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - A SHP Playthrough

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Thanks for reminding me Collector!
Good luck Dot! If you want to try room 5 again, you may want to check YouTube for some tactics. I died at least 30 times before I got to meet Wolfgang (because you might just click one time too many in your anxiety) but it's very satisfying when you do get there.
Attachments
GKSG.CAT
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 282 times
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Thanks Bonny. I'll finish this thing a little later.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

You guys will have to go on without me. Bonnie's savegames don't work with my version of GK1, and in an idiotic moment i saved her CAT file over my own. :oops:
I'll replay it and plug away at it till I finish (because now i'm pissed!). :evil:
I'll join you for GK2.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Dot, delete the Bonny's catalog file and run this in the game's folder to restore your catalog file.
Attachments
FIXSGCAT32.EXE
(46 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you Collector. I still can't get past the zombie though. :cry:
The rest of you keep going.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Collector, why do BBP saves don't work with Dot's copy? Is it a version issue? If so, Dot what version do you have? And is there someone who can provide saves for that version?

Also, I'm assuming these won't work, but how about these?

Otherwise, may offer a bit of advice on how to pass the mummy in Room 5? As soon as you enter the fifth chamber, exit, than re-enter. The mummy should have move slightly out of your way. Walk toward the northeast corner of the room, then immediately click on the door to exit the room. The mummy shouldn't be able to catch you.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Finally! I've finished the game...without using a savegame. It only took me 3 days to get past the zombies... don't ask me how, I don't remember. I tried your suggestion Andrea and it didn't work. I also tried the savegame from SHP and that didn't work either, got the same error as with Bonnie's savegame. Odd because I have the same version as the SHP savegame. Anyhoo, i'm ready to move on when you all are.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

dotkel50 wrote:I also tried the savegame from SHP and that didn't work either, got the same error as with Bonnie's savegame. Odd because I have the same version as the SHP savegame.
It is probably because of the patches that the SHP installer adds that SierraDude81 did not apply to his installation.

dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

So those savegames are useless to most of us then.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Congratulations Dot!! :geek:
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

OK! I'm glad that you're able to finish the game, Dot! Really glad :)

Today I've a very busy day (tonight is the first Act of our new live role-playing game of Vampire), but tomorrow I'll post the info and the surprise first thing tomorrow morning!
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Collector wrote:Can you attach a diagnostic log? Also, keep a save game from near one of the points where you encountered it.
Sure...how do I get a diagnostic log? I should also have a couple save games left right near the end where it was doing it.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Use the diagnostic tool in the game's folder.

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

The playthrough is almost done, but there are still two things that must be done before wrapping it up. First of all, my usual lists about interesting and/or funny things to try in the last two chapters of the game!

In the Snake Mound:

- Look at the mound from hill, then look at the driver and try to talk to him
- Inside the mound, look at the walls, at the creepy statues and at the vines and roots protruding from the ceiling
- In the inner circle, try to open the altar without the bars
- Look at the bottom and the top of the altar
- Of course, before reaching the inner circle, you can also try to get Gabriel killed, even in the in Room 7 after Wolfgang's appearance

In the Voodoo Hounfour:

- Try to give the wolf disguise to Mosely
- Unlock Room 1 and Room 11
- Take the money from Room 1, three times. You can even talk to money
- Try to rescue the animals from Room 10. Try to talk to them and then use all the cursors on the snake
- Walk behind the screen in Room 3 after Malia leaves
- Try to get he key from Dr. John's room while he's there, but save first
- Play the wrong drum message three times in a row, but save first
- Enter Grace's room and go to the ceremony without Mosely, but save first
- During the ritual, you can give the Talisman to Tetelo or use the dagger on her when you should rescue Mosely and Grace, but save first
- If you want to experience both the game endings, try to save Malia when she's hanging in the chasm or, alternatively, use the dagger on her or do nothing

And that's it. In the next post, you'll find the surprise.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

And now, let's hear about the game. Did you liked it? What you liked the most about it? And the least? But why not make this a little fun and do a sort of massive poll about Sins of the Fathers? I wrote down, during the playthrough, fifteen questions about the characters and pivotal moments of the adventure and I want to hear your opinion on them!

1. Who is you favorite supporting character of the game? Why? And the least favorite? Why?
2. Gabriel falls for Malia as soon as he meets her at the end of Day 1. What was your initial reaction to her appearance? Did you figure out her involvement in the story right away?
3. One of the most challening puzzles in Day 1 is the mime one. How do you feel about it? Did you like it or not?
4. How do you feel about the ending of Day 3 when Malia shows up just when Grace's leaving St. George? What do you think of Gabriel's behavior? And what about the sultry kiss between the two?
5. Crash's death is a pretty shocking and grim moment, and a very powerful, emotional one. How do you feel about Crash? Do you pity him or do you think he got what he bargained for?
6. The Bayou St. John segment is incredibly haunting and ominous. The feeling of danger is almost palpable. What do you think about the voodoo ceremony? Did it scare you?
7. The tone and atmosphere of the game changes radically as soon as Gabriel sets foot in Germany. Do you prefer the New Orleans' mood or the Schloss Ritter's one?
8. The Schattenjaeger Initiation ceremony is very profound and metaphorically rich. Which step resonated the most with you? And which one was more simbolically important to Gabriel, in your opinion?
9. Did you like Gabriel's eerie dream? In your opinion, who are the three women that purely loved Gabriel?
10. What do you think of the mummy-evading segment in Day 9? Do you think that its frenzied pace adds something to the experience?
11. Wolfgang's death. There's no way around it: this is a turning point, both for Gabriel and the game. What was your reaction to it?
12. The Voodoo Hounfour is an awesome location, one where you're led to constantly fear for Gabriel's safety. What was your favorite moment of the last segment of the game?
13. What was your reaction to Malia's death? Did it touch you as much as Wolfgang's?
14. What do you think of the final scene of Gabriel and Grace on the terrace? If you have already played GK2, which closing sequence do you prefer?
15. Finally, on a scale from one to ten, how would you rate the adventure?

Let's hear from you!

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”