What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:19 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:37 pm Wolverine hasn't appeared in the MCU (yet... Disney did purchase FOX) and considering the overall success of the X-Men films, I think Wolverine definitely gained far more exposure and recognition than he did from comics or the animated series.
Right. That's what I was saying.
You think Wolverine became more well known than Captain America?
Even though the X-Men movies weren't nearly as successful as the MCU/Disney movies?
Maybe. Here's the thing: outside of North America, I don't think Captain America is really all that well known or at least remotely popular, and Wolverine has greater appeal to many because he doesn't appear to be a walking American flag (or even a walking Canadian flag).

Also, Wolverine (at least in the movies) has more personality than Cap. Don't get me wrong, I liked Captain America in the MCU, but beyond the first MCU Captain America movie (and maybe Infinity War and End Game), he really had very little personality to him and seemed to be solely defined by whatever mission he was currently on at that moment.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:41 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:19 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:37 pm Wolverine hasn't appeared in the MCU (yet... Disney did purchase FOX) and considering the overall success of the X-Men films, I think Wolverine definitely gained far more exposure and recognition than he did from comics or the animated series.
Right. That's what I was saying.
You think Wolverine became more well known than Captain America?
Even though the X-Men movies weren't nearly as successful as the MCU/Disney movies?
Maybe. Here's the thing: outside of North America, I don't think Captain America is really all that well known or at least remotely popular, and Wolverine has greater appeal to many because he doesn't appear to be a walking American flag (or even a walking Canadian flag).
Also, Wolverine (at least in the movies) has more personality than Cap. Don't get me wrong, I liked Captain America in the MCU, but beyond the first MCU Captain America movie (and maybe Infinity War and End Game), he really had very little personality to him and seemed to be solely defined by whatever mission he was currently on at that moment.
Well, you might be biased being in Canada all these years and knowing Wolverine is from there. :D

As for Wolverine having more personality than Cap?

You mean, more than snarl, growl, extend claws and leap at whatever was in front of him? :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:13 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:10 pm Just wondering: I've seen bits of the Thor film (i.e. the one where he gets transformed into a mortal and can't lift his mighty hammer). ;) IIRC, the only named deities there were Thor, Loki and Odin. I saw the film a year or two ago, so I can't remember much about details - but ... are any other Norse deities named in the film or comic?
I'm thinking more about the more obscure deities like Baldr, Njörður, Tyr, Forseti, Bragi and so on. (If you're not sure who I'm talking about, take a look: the lesser-known gods of Norse mythology) ;)
You insult me by thinking I don't know Norse mythology. :D

As for the comic, yes.

Baldr (as Baldur) has appeared for a VERY long time in the comics. Almost from the start. As has Heimdall. Tyr also appears. And...
Oh, forget it.

Here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... vel_Comics

The ones that are created for the comic are noted as such, as well as the slight name variations from lore to comics.
No need to take offense. I was only asking. ;) Not everyone is as knowledgeable about Norse mythology as you are! :)

I've read a book or two about Norse myth, as well as the way the Vikings lived, worshipped, dressed, ate and fought. Norse mythology is incredibly complicated. So I'm just wondering if how the comics (or films) compare! :) I don't expect the films to delve into it too deeply, that's not what the audiences are there to see - but hopefully the films or comics get it right, that's all. ;)

By the way, tiny nitpicking bit: I've noticed that in both the films and the comics, when a god's name includes the Norse letter "ð" (as in Njörður, etc.), it's converted into a "d" -- which is wrong. The letter "ð" is always pronounced "th" (so Njörður should be pronounced Nyor-thur, etc. :) I won't go into the "ö" sound - it's not easy).

Sorry, sorry! I'm going now. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:02 am Well, you might be biased being in Canada all these years and knowing Wolverine is from there. :D
I've only been living in Canada since 2008, so that's 14 years (and technically not even 14 years until August). I knew about Wolverine long before then and the X-Men movies came out before 2008 anyway. :)

For a long time I had no idea Wolverine was even Canadian! Thanks to that cheesy one-shot cartoon "Pryde of the X-Men" I thought he was Australian because some voice actor decided to give him a bad Aussie accent.
Tawmis wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:02 am As for Wolverine having more personality than Cap?

You mean, more than snarl, growl, extend claws and leap at whatever was in front of him? :D
Well, look at the first X-Men movie. The viewer gets to experience the film more or less from Wolverine's perspective. We're meant to be as surprised, distrusting, and overall incredulous as he is when presented with a "school for mutants."

Contrast that with Captain America: The First Avenger, where Cap is more or less the poster child for allied propaganda reels.

We never really get to know Cap as a person where we get a better idea of Logan as an individual. Sure, neither are particularly fleshed out, but between the two, Wolverine is better written (even if only slightly so) and more personable.

That said... they're both written a hell of lot better than Thor, whose personality is practically non-existent until he becomes a running joke in End Game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:40 am Well, look at the first X-Men movie. The viewer gets to experience the film more or less from Wolverine's perspective. We're meant to be as surprised, distrusting, and overall incredulous as he is when presented with a "school for mutants."
Contrast that with Captain America: The First Avenger, where Cap is more or less the poster child for allied propaganda reels.
We never really get to know Cap as a person where we get a better idea of Logan as an individual. Sure, neither are particularly fleshed out, but between the two, Wolverine is better written (even if only slightly so) and more personable.
I guess, I see it differently.

I saw way more in Cap as a person. The scrawny kid who wanted to be in the army, but couldn't.

And the moment, when everyone else ducks for cover, and he jumps on the grenade, even before he's Cap.

I feel like in that moment alone, we saw more personality, then we saw of cranky Wolverine.

Not to say Hugh Jackman did a bad Wolverine - heck, he's who I "envision" as Wolverine all the time now because of how much he embraced it and looks like the closest living version of Logan. :)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, Captain America was never that big in Canada. I just saw him as a cheap attempt to copy Superman when I was a kid when I actually heard about his existence. But I knew very well who Wolverine was. And again, I was not that into comic books.

Also, No Way Home was the best MCU movie since Infinity War if you ask me. Not as good as Infinity War, but still good. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, DPX.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm Yeah, Captain America was never that big in Canada. I just saw him as a cheap attempt to copy Superman when I was a kid
I... :o ... that is... :shock: ... wait.

Superman?

Cap as a cheap attempt at Superman?

I feel like they're night and day difference.

Their only similarity is their "Cub Scout Goodness."

Cap can't fly. Can't shoot beams. Is nowhere near as strong as Superman. Isn't invulnerable. Isn't an alien. And the list goes on. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Then again, Superman doesn't have a shield, a mask, or a star as his symbol. ;) And I'm pretty sure that, whatever else Superman has done, he'd never punched out Hitler. :P
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm Yeah, Captain America was never that big in Canada.
And there's a good reason for that. How could Captain America ever compete with Captain Canuck? :shock:
MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm Also, No Way Home was the best MCU movie since Infinity War if you ask me. Not as good as Infinity War, but still good. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, DPX.
Unfortunately, it won't be on Netflix or Disney+ for a long, long time due to the distribution rights belonging to Sony and not Disney.
Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 pm I... :o ... that is... :shock: ... wait.

Superman?

Cap as a cheap attempt at Superman?

I feel like they're night and day difference.

Their only similarity is their "Cub Scout Goodness."

Cap can't fly. Can't shoot beams. Is nowhere near as strong as Superman. Isn't invulnerable. Isn't an alien. And the list goes on. :D
As a kid, MI probably saw the similar color scheme and without knowing much about comics, probably then thought Cap was a knockoff.

Today he knows different, but as a kid you think weird things sometimes. For instance, when I was a kid I wanted to know why Webster (from the TV show of the same name) had his own dictionary. :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:11 am Then again, Superman doesn't have a shield, a mask, or a star as his symbol. ;) And I'm pretty sure that, whatever else Superman has done, he'd never punched out Hitler. :P
So... are you replying to MI? Because your statement makes no sense if you were responding to Tawmis. :?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:23 am
MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm Yeah, Captain America was never that big in Canada.
And there's a good reason for that. How could Captain America ever compete with Captain Canuck? :shock:
Um ... Captain America was first released in 1941. Captain Canuck was first released in 1975. So ... yeah, CA could compete during those 30-odd years or so.

I'm not trying to start anything here - just pointing that out. ;)
Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 pm Cap can't fly. Can't shoot beams. Is nowhere near as strong as Superman. Isn't invulnerable. Isn't an alien. And the list goes on. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:11 am Then again, Superman doesn't have a shield, a mask, or a star as his symbol. ;) And I'm pretty sure that, whatever else Superman has done, he'd never punched out Hitler. :P
So... are you replying to MI? Because your statement makes no sense if you were responding to Tawmis. :?
I'm replying to Tawm here. He says "Captain America can't fly, shoot beams" etc. -- and my reply: "Also, Superman has no shield, mask or star" etc. I'm simply reinforcing his point that Captain America and Superman look and 'feel' completely different.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Superman never punched out Hitler. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:54 pm
Um ... Captain America was first released in 1941. Captain Canuck was first released in 1975. So ... yeah, CA could compete during those 30-odd years or so.

I'm not trying to start anything here - just pointing that out. ;)
Sometimes I don't think you understand certain kinds of humor, Rath, because I was being facetious when referring to Captain Canuck and how ridiculous of a character he is. :roll:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:54 pm I'm replying to Tawm here. He says "Captain America can't fly, shoot beams" etc. -- and my reply: "Also, Superman has no shield, mask or star" etc. I'm simply reinforcing his point that Captain America and Superman look and 'feel' completely different.
I think it was the "then again" part of your statement that made it seem like you were disputing whoever you were replying to in your response, because saying "then again" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense if you're agreeing with someone.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:54 pm Also, I'm pretty sure that Superman never punched out Hitler. ;)
While Superman never "punched out Hitler," he did capture Hitler and Tojo in Superman, Vol 1, Issue 17. Truth be told, I don't think the actual story within the comic had anything to do with the cover, so that's a little weird, but I guess the cover artwork was done simply to be patriotic given that it was 1942 at the time.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah, the better symbol for Canada would be Alpha Flight's Vindicator (or Guardian, depends on which name Mac/Heather were going by).
Vindicator.jpg
They both, literally, bare the general symbol of their country's flag.

(Sigh, I miss Alpha Flight...)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Yeah I never even heard of Captain Canuck until I was married. lol
Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 pm Cap can't fly. Can't shoot beams. Is nowhere near as strong as Superman. Isn't invulnerable. Isn't an alien. And the list goes on. :D
Hence the term "cheap copy". :lol:
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huh? *confused* That's the third time this happened on this thread. I post, and I come back, and my post is gone? :(

I only tried to say that, AFAIK, when I think of Canada, I think of this. Still pretty awesome after 20 years. ;)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

You're not being logged out after you press submit are you? Happens to me all the time and I have to relogin and resubmit.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”