What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Collector »

Or gat all of the old Win7 games for it. https://winaero.com/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah my dad had downloaded that but it's annoying as listening to Katy Perry with one ear and Anita Ward with the other. There are ads every few games that last 30 seconds and are sometimes nausea- or seizure-inducing - and woe to the unfortunate soul who's clicked on them.

I like MineSweeper Online's option to No Guess game - especially the "evil" setting lets your head work. I'm currently earning a lot of icecreams in their summer event. Plus it challenges to do different styles of playing - flagless or for efficiency or for winning streaks rather than simply speed, but also different sizes.

Dungeon Crawler is proving to be very addictive as well. It's got so many elements it makes your head spin -I'm learning something new every day about the game. I'm impressed by the extensive music selection!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Yesterday I played KQ1 (SCI) and KQ4 back-to-back. First time I can ever recall playing more than one KQ in its entirety in a single day.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:52 pm Yesterday I played KQ1 (SCI) and KQ4 back-to-back. First time I can ever recall playing more than one KQ in its entirety in a single day.
KQ4 <3

I guess, with what we know now, going through KQ and even LSL, can easily be done in a day. LSL1 can probably be spedrun in like 30 minutes. (20 of that being the gambling portion) :D
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:18 pm
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:52 pm Yesterday I played KQ1 (SCI) and KQ4 back-to-back. First time I can ever recall playing more than one KQ in its entirety in a single day.
KQ4 <3

I guess, with what we know now, going through KQ and even LSL, can easily be done in a day. LSL1 can probably be spedrun in like 30 minutes. (20 of that being the gambling portion) :D
Replaying KQ1 made me appreciate how good the EGA artwork is. Right up there with LB1. Probably two of the best looking 16-color Sierra games.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

KQ1 SCI is about the most charming of all of the KQ games. It is a true masterpiece by Josh Mandel. I have always said that TCB has the best graphics of all EGA games, bar none.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

The annual AIVD Christmas puzzle, am now on the home stretch (due to hand in on 17 January).
BF is being a sweetheart in solving the nigh impossible chessdoku for me, let's see if I can find something else...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:01 pm The annual AIVD Christmas puzzle, am now on the home stretch (due to hand in on 17 January).
BF is being a sweetheart in solving the nigh impossible chessdoku for me, let's see if I can find something else...
I've played chess for decades, but never tried Sudoku. Could I help? (Or would my lack of Sudoku experience quickly tell against me?) :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Sure! You may be a bit late to party, but every little bit helps. And deepl.com is only a click away. :)

https://www.aivd.nl/onderwerpen/aivd-ke ... dformulier
Download by pressing the button that says "download in Nederlands: AIVD kerstpuzzel 2022: opgaven en antwoordformulier." And then it's question 23.

It's a problem in 4 steps:
-finding the mate in 2 for all 4 of the boards
-using the winning move to solve the sudoku.
The following rules apply: for the sum sudoku bottom right and greater-than sudoku at the top left, the values in the table on page 18 count.
The top right has the "anti-check" rule - none of the kings on the board may be checked;
Top left has the "vampire" rule: on an otherwise empty board, no piece may be able to take an enemy piece of the same type.
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well ... heck, this is easy. ;)

Top left: White puts a new knight (schaak ridder) on f6 - check. If the black king moves to d8, then queen to d7 and checkmate. If the king moves to f8, put a new rook (toren) on e8 - checkmate.

Top right: White moves his rook (toren) to c7. Now he threatens to move queen to h7, checkmate.

If the black bishop takes the white rook, then it's queen to h7 and checkmate.
If the black rook takes the white rook, then white places a new knight (ridder) on g3 -- checkmate. (g3 is right next to the white king).

Bottom left: White puts a new knight (ridder) on f6. Checkmate right away. :)

Bottom Right... Sorry, I have no idea what I'm looking at. :(

Hope that helps you :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I started Pathfinder: Kingmaker this weekend, since I had gotten it for free.

Plays very, very, very much like Pillars of Eternity.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm sure it does, but some of the reviews really put me off. Like this one. Or this one (scroll down to the first review.

To quote:
Good Game with big issues.
September 26, 2018

The game starts out fairly well and seems to be an interesting take on the CRPG genre. Time is real tangible resource in the game as new events pop out with time and punish you if you don't deal with them. This is additionally managed through rest, which takes time but needs to be done when your characters are tired.

Characters seem alright so far, though they aren't terribly original. It has a good amount of reactivity, the story seems fun, though not record-breaking.

Getting the good out of the way, there are some issues here. If you are not already familiar with the Pathfinder ruleset then don't expect this game to tell you anything. The game is horrible when it comes to actually communicating its mechanics to the player.

At first everything went fine, got out of the prologue without any major issues. Then in the very first side-quest you find you encounter spiders in a cave. So far, so CRPG. Fought them and got absolutely obliterated by a spider-swarm. No Problem, you just have to figure out how to beat it. But the game doesn't let you find out.

There's a combat log, but that just tells you how much your characters would do damage and then with another line saying "Damage was reduced to 0". No indication why that happens or how to circumvent it. After lots of experimentation I found out that physical attacks don't work, only magic.

And it goes on like this afterwards. Enemies one-shot your party members and take no damage themselves, enemies cast AoE spells that disable your entire party for 20 seconds. If you long for a CRPG, get Pillars of Eternity or Underrail right now. If you are heavily familiar with the Pathfinder ruleset, this game can be very fun. Otherwise wait till the developers balanced it correctly.
OK, so that was over 4 years ago. ;) Has anything changed since then? Just wondering.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So...
My thoughts on what you quoted.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 am The game starts out fairly well and seems to be an interesting take on the CRPG genre. Time is real tangible resource in the game as new events pop out with time and punish you if you don't deal with them. This is additionally managed through rest, which takes time but needs to be done when your characters are tired.
You can technically rest on any screen - as long as you're not on the travel map. So you can go to any location. Your characters may get too exhausted and force a rest, however.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 am Characters seem alright so far, though they aren't terribly original. It has a good amount of reactivity, the story seems fun, though not record-breaking.
You never get to know your characters from the very start. It's through the game where their personality develops - and just like any good CRPG, it's IF you take the time to talk to them. If you didn't talk to the people in Dragon Age while you were in camp, those characters would be pretty boring. It was talking to them that allows you to really get to know them. Similar to Dragon Age, the characters will make comments on travel and during combat that add some flavor from time to time, but it's really after resting at certain areas that allow it, that you can speak to them and get to know them. I reached an outpost and rested there, and the following morning was able to talk to 2 of the 3 people with me. (I couldn't find where the third person was in the outpost, or if they were even there to talk to)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 am Getting the good out of the way, there are some issues here. If you are not already familiar with the Pathfinder ruleset then don't expect this game to tell you anything. The game is horrible when it comes to actually communicating its mechanics to the player.
Who cares about the mechanics? Most games don't tell you the mechanics. Neverwinter Nights didn't. Pillars of Eternity doesn't.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 am At first everything went fine, got out of the prologue without any major issues. Then in the very first side-quest you find you encounter spiders in a cave. So far, so CRPG. Fought them and got absolutely obliterated by a spider-swarm. No Problem, you just have to figure out how to beat it. But the game doesn't let you find out.
There's a combat log, but that just tells you how much your characters would do damage and then with another line saying "Damage was reduced to 0". No indication why that happens or how to circumvent it. After lots of experimentation I found out that physical attacks don't work, only magic.
OK - this one I agree with. You get one quest, then another, then go somewhere (won't say where in case you pick up the game) - and get this side quest to go fetch something inside a cave full of spiders. Now, as they said - the spiders were not the problem. The SWARM of them is. Because they're immune to physical attacks (the idea being that there's so many that stomping on them or smashing them will never be enough to kill them). NOW - JUST BEFORE THEY APPEAR - there is a POP UP that mentions something about the swarms. But I was being hasty and clicked through it, so I didn't read it. And suffered the same thing. Got destroyed by the swarm. I managed to flee (not out of the cave, because similar to Pillars, it won't let you exit an area if you're in combat). But it took down my bard while the others ran, barely alive. And got far enough away that combat ended, and the bard stood up and ran back to us. Now, I know you can kill it with magic (but... well, the magic user... depends on what you do in the game... he's not with us). But you can also use alchemist fire, which you can get before you get here. However, not knowing that you can't prep it during combat. And it takes a few rounds of it (and if your party is too close... well, they're going to burn too). So having something like that, where learning the mechanics is new - is a pain. HOWEVER, before combat starts, it pauses if you turn that on, so you can try to sort yourself out. But the swarm came in the midst of fighting the normal spiders so there was nothing I could do.

I tried to camp in and out of the cave, but kept getting attacked by spiders (which isn't a problem). So I finally left the area. (I also found what I needed... but can't ... uh, get it... I mean, it's in reach... but you need something or to do something or have a specific skill... so I left... and plan to come back).

But yes, I will fully agree to have a swarm like that in your first side quest was very, very, very, very poor planning.

For them saying that they didn't know - and they looked at the damage logs. They were not paying attention to their characters then. Because melee and ranged (arrows) immediately show "Immune!" as soon as it hits.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 am And it goes on like this afterwards. Enemies one-shot your party members and take no damage themselves, enemies cast AoE spells that disable your entire party for 20 seconds. If you long for a CRPG, get Pillars of Eternity or Underrail right now. If you are heavily familiar with the Pathfinder ruleset, this game can be very fun. Otherwise wait till the developers balanced it correctly.
Not encountered an issue so far, with people shutting down the party. (But I've only dumped about two hours into it)

I also got it for free, during one of those "This game is free for one week!"
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Psssst Rath! You're not supposed to literally post answers publically!
(however as today is the hand-in date, and nobody is going to be able to solve that chess-doku on such short notice, and you have 3/4 wrong, I'll let it slide. :) )
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Whoops! Sorry, BBP. :) I also noticed that the hand-in date is today, and this forum isn't that public. (It's not like YouTube, etc.)

Hopefully no-one else accidentally stumbles on my wrong answers. :) Just curious: which one did I get right?

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”