Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by therogue »

I'm not a big non fiction fan when it comes to my reading for pleasure, its rare for me to pick something non-fiction up. The last one in that category that I got through was Robert Graves's Goodbye to All That. Which broke my heart and while enthralling not a good choice to read in public transport as after a while people started to think I was clinically depressed.

I wish I could say something high brow was on my reading list for the rest but its practically all Terry Pratchett, Jim Butcher, Janet Evanovich and Neil Gaimann.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Love love love Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum books are laugh out loud funny. I recently finished Finger Lickin Fifteen, and tears were streaming down my face I laughed so much. She's starting a new series starring Diesel, I can't wait.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Can't wait for the next Terry Pratchett book! :D Incidentally, therogue, I don't think Pterry or Neil Gaiman are lowbrow at all... *raises eyebrow quizzically*

Finished reading the Rowan Atkinson biography - now reading the biography of the Two Ronnies.
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

I had sent off for an autographed copy of Dean Erickson's book, No One Laughs at a Dead Clown, and it came in today autographed and with a hat. I'm very excited.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Got the new Pterry book, "I Shall Wear Midnight"! :D Devouring that right now. :P
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Cool, Jasef! What kind of hat? Did he draw it or sent you an actual, physical hat?
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Actual hat. It's white and it has the logo of the book on it. It's actually a terrible hat that I would never wear, but it's still cool that I got it. ;)
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Just to say the third MINOTAUR book has picked up! :)
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

Haven't read anything lately, however I absolutely love the Neuromancer 'trilogy' by William Gibson. Takes me to a completely alien place - and I get something new out of it every time I read his books.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I'm re-reading my favourite non-fiction book: The Official Rock Paper Scissors Strategy Guide. Trying to make an audio book version for some friends too.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I've been re-reading the entire Nero Wolfe canon since the spring. Only have about 8 books left to go. After that i'm going to search out some non Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout. I love the way he uses language.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

gumby wrote:Haven't read anything lately, however I absolutely love the Neuromancer 'trilogy' by William Gibson. Takes me to a completely alien place - and I get something new out of it every time I read his books.
I really enjoy his novels as well. I love the "cyberpunk" setting. I even named my computer Idoru. :D
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

Maiandra wrote: I really enjoy his novels as well. I love the "cyberpunk" setting. I even named my computer Idoru. :D
Right on. If I was to do something similar, I think I'd choose the name 'Wintermute'.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

gumby wrote:
Maiandra wrote: I really enjoy his novels as well. I love the "cyberpunk" setting. I even named my computer Idoru. :D
Right on. If I was to do something similar, I think I'd choose the name 'Wintermute'.
It's interesting how books can do that...

Back in the days of the BBS... I named my BBS "The Nexus" which was named after the "Death Gate Cycle"... and my network at home is named "The Nexus"...

(Though my computer is named "Asgard" after Norse Mythos)...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I've been devouring history books for a while. Quite heavy. So, for some light entertainment (which is still quite educational), I picked up a book by John O'Farrell called:

The Utterly Impartial History of Britain
Or...
2,000 Years of Upper-Class Twits in Charge

I highly recommend it. Even if you're not interested in British history in the least, you'd probably get a kick out of this book... very, very amusing while also delivering a history lesson. You'll find yourself giggling during one paragraph and going "Oh wow! I didn't know that" during the next. ;)

Do yourself a favour, and at least check out the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=20&y=22

(OK, here's the bad points, just so I don't come across as a total fanboy. ;) One: this is NOT meant to be a work of reference, so if you're looking for one, forget it. Two: reading this, I get the idea that John is quite obviously left-wing, but the subtitle should let you know that anyway. ;)

Now here's the good point: when I was studying history in high-school, all I remember leaving with were a bunch of names and dates. The only one I remember from high-school is Gandhi, and that's only because my history teacher showed us the Gandhi film. ;) Now, John's book isn't going to tell you everything and what king did what and who and why. He comes in and tells you something like, "Hey, this bit in history is connected to that bit, because... and then without X, Y wouldn't happen..." etc., and then he throws in a gag to reinforce all that. So first you get the feeling, "Wow, I didn't know that" - and then you think "LOL! That kinda reinforces the point!") ;)

For all you American readers - don't worry: there's lots about the colonies, the American Revolution, and the American involvement in World War I and II and so on. ;)

For my money, this is history as it should be taught. Thumbs up! :D

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”