Most frustrating Game Moment.

Talk about anything you want here
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Most frustrating Game Moment.

Post by AndreaDraco »

Actually, I liked the post the way it was. The mixture of Rosella and Alexander seemed to me appropriate in highlighting problems from both games (III and IV), such as the infamous cliffs of Llewedor and the stairs/whale-tongue Rosella encounters in Tamir.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Klausse
Noob

Post by Klausse »

GK 3 or rather it's 3D graphics. I do want to play it but I only can do it for an hour or so because all those movements, switching of the cameras et cetera makes my head spin.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

That is a very common reaction that many have with the 3-D games. It is a subject that keeps resurfacing on Adventure Gamers. Many that do not have the problem often have very little sympathy for those that suffer from it. I am afflicted by it to some degree, myself. Certain 3-D engines are worse than others. The worst for me is the Half-Life engine. 15 minuets with that one makes me want to puke my guts up.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

ThePudd
Sierra Fan

Post by ThePudd »

Almirena wrote:I had a "I haven't had enough coffee so my brain is letting my fingers type wrong things!" moment.

Oops!

<hurriedly edits post in furtive manner and hopes no one notices...>

I didn't notice!

*holds out coffee mug*

Since you've already got a pot on...
:D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I loved the Gabriel Knight games, but some parts in all of the GK games had me completely, utterly stumped. Here are some:

- GK1 during the action sequence in the burial mound, trying to get to the exit without being eaten by zombies. AGH!!! How many times was Gabriel munched?

- GK2 as Grace, trying to find everything in the Ludwig castle/museum/Wagner museum. I never got past that. :(

- GK3 as Gabriel... the pendulum action sequence. All I can say is... bleh, bleh and bleh again! I had such a hard time getting past that, and Gabriel's scream when he dies literally sent a shiver down my spine. It got so bad that I played that sequence with the sound turned off, just so I wouldn't have to listen to that scream.

- And finally... (a nostalgic one for all you QfG players *G*) QfG1 and the sword fight with Swordy Lordy; QfG1 and Keapon Laffin's maze.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ohhhh. The Sword Fight in QFG1... Good call. I think the trick was slowing your PC down as much as you could...
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I never done it... Is it a feat doable only by the Fighter?
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I believe it is. Don't recall ever encountering him in the castle with the thief or magic-user.
Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

Actually, I think you could run into him (I'm thinking of the EGA version). However, if you were anything but a fighter, I don't think he would fight you.
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

KQV was frustrating all the way to the end for me. There was simply to many dead ends in the game.

For instance the first time I scaled the mountain, I ate the pie instead of the ham, so naturally I could defeat the yeti.

One time I forgot to give the ham to the eagle and got stuck again!

The number one frustration in KQV for me was getting Mordack's wand. I'll be honest. I got it on accident. That took me forever.

I also just gave up on Codename: Iceman. It was just hard...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

QuestCollector wrote: I also just gave up on Codename: Iceman. It was just hard...
I am on a mission to beat this game and save the save games for folks to download...
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Defeating Swordy Lordy was impossible on most computers, even when one was a fighter with maximised skill level, until the advent of DOSBox.

DOSBox made it possible for me to completely crush Swordy Lordy's ego in one magnificent display of swordfighting. It was a very, very good feeling.

(It was annoying not being able to complete this task as a fighter, because it meant getting less than full points.)
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Yes, DOSBox does make this otherwise impossible feat possible. The Sword Master does have a fragile ego, doesn't he?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis already mentioned the cables in SQ3. I believe I accidentally pressed F5 instead of F7 just as I began falling. I had previous saved games, of course, but that was incredibly frustrating. I hate starting over again when it's not my decision to do so. Fortunately, that wasn't an issue with the game itself.

KQ4 also stumped me for a short period of time. I remember being the dwarves' home and couldn't figure out what to do. It never occurred to me that I should... clean the place! :lol:

It was either in KQ1 or KQ2 (I don't quite remember) that there was this annoying little thief that'd appear out of nowhere and take one of your inventory items. That forced you to load the game and was completely unnecessary.

To add to that, I'd include any game that forces the player to restart because they missed one little item. That's just poor game design.

And finally... I know these three aren't Sierra games, but Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge from LucasArts probably had some of the most convoluted puzzles that I had ever run across. For some reason or another, Full Throttle (also from LucasArts) would consistently crash during the ending sequence, so I never got to see how the game ended. I've read about it on Wikipedia and other places, but it would have been nice to actually see it. The last game on my list is Runaway: A Road Adventure by Pendulo Studios. That title must have had the dumbest puzzles ever placed in a game, period. As an example, you end up using... lipstick as bullets for a machine gun and successfully melt peanuts (using sunlight) into peanut butter. :shock:
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

DeadPoolX wrote:KQ4 also stumped me for a short period of time. I remember being the dwarves' home and couldn't figure out what to do. It never occurred to me that I should... clean the place! :lol:
It is rather frustrating when a game requires you to know a separate story so you can advance in a current one. KQ did this several times throughout the series. In the same game, who would have ever figured that in order to get the frog, you need to drop a gold ball into the pond unless you read the "The Frog Prince?" Besides, the dwarves' house puzzle required a command that you would almost never use in an adventure game because you know from experience that you'll probably get some generic "You can't do that" statement.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”