Steam and GOG sales

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Steam and GOG sales

Post by DeadPoolX »

Hey Dot! Steam has Age of Empires III on sale for 50% off (that's $19.99 USD) until Monday, January 9th. :)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Thanks DPX but I have the CDs already.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The GFWL marketplace version doesn't require GFWL or its client does it? I'd rather just get the discs.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Oh wow it's on Steam now! That's a long time coming! Now they just need to throw AEO 1 and 2 and AOM on there. Or at least on GoG.

I'm not going to get it on Steam, though, because in this particular case I prefer a disc-based non online-DRM version. Otherwise I'd have no problem.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Sierra Quest games 50% off at GoG this weekend only.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/kings_quest_ ... a992b2786a
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Midweek Madness: Steam has Skyrim for 33% off and Oblivion for 50% off right now. The entire Elder Scrolls pack (which includes Morrowind in addition to the previously mentioned games) is also available for 50% off.

Since it's a Midweek Madness sale, it's good until Thursday at 4PM Pacific time.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to get the Elder Scrolls pack or not. I already have Oblivion and all expansions, but I never played Morrowind. But $50 for 3 games instead of $60 for just Skyrim seems good to me. I'm hoping to hold off for the inevitable Skyrim GOTY edition in a year or so with the added benefit of more bug fixes and mods.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maxor127 wrote:I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to get the Elder Scrolls pack or not. I already have Oblivion and all expansions, but I never played Morrowind. But $50 for 3 games instead of $60 for just Skyrim seems good to me. I'm hoping to hold off for the inevitable Skyrim GOTY edition in a year or so with the added benefit of more bug fixes and mods.
Honestly? I'd wait. Skyrim will undoubtedly have DLC and a GOTY edition will come out at some point, so if you're concerned about getting the best price possible, holding off for a while might be the best choice. At the very least, wait for a large event sale (usually these take place during the summer and around the holidays) and you'll probably see a lower price than what's offered right now.

As for Morrowind, the price of $9.99 is a pretty good one, but it's definitely a step backwards from Oblivion in terms of technology. However, I've heard some people say Morrowind is better in other ways.

I've played Morrowind briefly, but never really got anywhere in it. I've never tried Oblivion, mostly because I don't like the idea of enemies constantly leveling up with me all the time. I don't have Skyrim either, but that's because I still feel the price is too high and I doubt my machine could run it (or at least run it well), so buying it now seems impractical at best.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

A lot of people prefer the complexity and the inner workings of the stat system in Morrowind. Also the art style (the most different and original looking compared to Oblivion and Skyrim, the former of which is almost totally textbook fantasy). As well as the fact that every single thing in the game from the map design, dungeon design, character design, quest design, and item placements are almost entirely pre-conceived and not randomized. Also the Morrowind map is much bigger than Oblivion's by comparison.

I somewhat agree with most of that except that I dislike Morrowind's battle system which is a little bit of a dice-roll regardless of whether you're definitely physically right in front of the person and definitely hitting them or not. Oblivion and Skyrim's combat systems are a lot closer to FPS standard rules which I prefer.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is on sale for $10.19 USD on Steam. That's 66% off the normal price. The DLC is also discounted.

It's a one-day sale, so tomorrow it'll be over at 10AM PST.

If you're looking for a single-player games with a strong story and action that takes place in the near-future, definitely pick this one up! :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

L.A. Noire is 50% off the normal price on Steam until Thursday at 4pm Pacific Time.

Considering that it uses checkpoint saves (no saving anywhere you want or even quicksaves) and a third-party DRM scheme called "Game Shield" in addition to Steam, the 50% off price tag might make it worth it. I'm debating whether or not to buy it.

Right now I'm still playing Mass Effect 3, so that's my main gaming concern at the moment.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

I played LA Noire on Steam and if it uses extra DRM, it's not noticeable. The game is loaded with autosaves, and it's very difficult to die/fail. And in sections where you can fail, it usually allows you to retry right at the beginning of the action sequence. I easily played it for 40 hours and that was with using a walkthrough, so it's a good deal unless you have some hatred for the time period, genre, or long cutscenes.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maxor127 wrote:I played LA Noire on Steam and if it uses extra DRM, it's not noticeable. The game is loaded with autosaves, and it's very difficult to die/fail. And in sections where you can fail, it usually allows you to retry right at the beginning of the action sequence. I easily played it for 40 hours and that was with using a walkthrough, so it's a good deal unless you have some hatred for the time period, genre, or long cutscenes.
My only issue is the use of save points. I know you said it works here and for action sequences, maybe it does. However, there's supposed to be a strong storyline in L.A. Noire and in a game where the story is important, I like being able to save, try something, load, try something different, etc. It's really all about experimentation in a sense.

Without the ability to save and load when I want, I lose that freedom to experiment and explore. Instead, I know if I choose an action I have to live with it from then on.

I realize some people enjoy that. They say it makes you "deal with the consequences of your actions." While that's true, this is also a game, where the primary objective is entertainment, not being a real life simulator.

That said, it's only $15 USD right now so it might be worth trying anyway.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Thanks for pointing this out, DPX. I'm hugely interested in the game, and I may buy it right away, even it will be months before I can play it ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Steam Sale of the Day - KQ Collection:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10100/

22 hours left.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”