Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Maiandra wrote: I'm currently rereading the entire Fables graphic novel series. I have no idea why, but I like just about anything that's folklore and fairy tale related.
I got her started on that series. It was when Maia and I were still in a long-distance relationship and visiting each other. She wanted something to read, so I gave her the first two or three volumes of Fables. She read them and then asked me for more. I didn't have any more, but we fixed that. :P
Truly Destiny was cheering you two on, as ye came together! <3
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I've finished Gertrud, wow! Amazing work!

Moved on to Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

The Island Of The Colour-Blind and Cycad Island by Oliver Sacks.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Currently, aside from the books I read for work, I'm reading Tender Is the Night by F.S. Fitzgerald, At Home by Bill Bryson and The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

A bizarre little book named L'Art d'Être Aimée, The Art Of Being Loved, by Dominique Le Bourg. It dates from 1948, looks exquisite with pretty font and ink/watercolour illustrations, and seems to be very anti-feminist.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Last evening I had an hour to spare. So I picked up a Thea Beckman I had lying around, Hasse Simonsdochter, and didn't put it down until I finished it. Wonderful, but it kept me up 'til two hours past bedtime. Zzzzzzz...
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hasse got me on a Thea Beckman trip, which involved me re-reading most of her books I have, buying 2 more and reading both of those in one day.
Inbetween I found Hermann Hesse's Peter Camenzind, which does have very similar themes to several other books I have (lonely and suffering protagonist, true friendship, physical journeys, spiritual journey), and you spend the first page thinking "it's one of those books again", and then you almost miss your train stop since putting it down is more than you can ask for.

Today I bought a nice curiosity: Vampire Knits by Genevieve Miller. Besides a werewolf hat and paw warmers, it has vampiric shrugs, blood drop style stockings and cable knit jugular protectors. Anybody want a vampire tote with your name on it?

And then there's the little Art d'Être Aimée booklet, which I've translated. Currently I'm busy publishing it on my forum. It ranges between sound advice, bizarre purple prose and blatant sexism. If you'd like to read it and give pointers (to major grammatical errors or general unreadability or anything else), you're more than welcome!
http://packardgoose.ploeg.ws/interactiv ... hp?tid=574
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm currently reading The Greek and Roman Myths: A Guide to the Classical Stories by Phillip Matyszak. Very approachable, easy to read and understand. Also adds sections about how the myths influenced later art - fascinating. Clearly laid out and even humorous in parts. Being a mythology/history and fantasy junkie, I found it a keeper (just like most of Matyszak's books). Highly recommended. :)
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I recently finished reading City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte. Considering I just randomly grabbed it off the shelf at the library, it was suprisingly enjoyable. It's feels like a somewhat "Chick Lit" version of a Jane Jensen story.

It takes place in Prague and involves an interesting combination of history, mystery, alchemy, cold war espionage, Beethoven, time travel, and a little physics. It was actually quite a good read.

I thought it could make a great adventure game, given the research, exploration, and investigation aspects of the story.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Stephen Fry - Making History
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finished it today while in the train to Leiden. A two hour trip, and with nothing to read on the way back I scored the fresh Dutch translation of Haruki Mirakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years Of Pilgrimage. Bought it three hours ago and I'm halfway already.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finished the book on the same night and am now busy reading another sleep-robber by Thea Beckman, Triomf Van De Verschroeide Aarde. Still have an Oliver Sacks (Migraine) on the To Read pile.
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote:I've finished Gertrud, wow! Amazing work!

Moved on to Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss.
A bit late, I'm sure, but how did you find E, S & L? ;) I liked the bits of humour about grammar. I've had things like that happening to me (like the time I noticed a sign saying "GRAN SALE! YOU CAN'T LOOSE!") :P
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Charity shop. The money I paid went to Terre des Hommes.
...Oh, what I THINK of it! Loved it of course! I'm a terrible stickler, partly because I'm the youngest at home and was always immediately corrected whenever I made a little mistake. I think one of the worst cases of bad spelling I know is on the cemetery where my grandma is, that's a conjugation D/T error on a tombstone. I even buy stuff like that just for kicks, such as one Mensa IQ game that says "test your brain to it's limits", and, another cute doozie, the Japanese band Dir en grey had a single out called Filth, but used such a difficult font for them to read, they didn't notice the cover spells "fhlth".
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote:Charity shop. The money I paid went to Terre des Hommes.
...Oh, what I THINK of it! Loved it of course! I'm a terrible stickler, partly because I'm the youngest at home and was always immediately corrected whenever I made a little mistake. I think one of the worst cases of bad spelling I know is on the cemetery where my grandma is, that's a conjugation D/T error on a tombstone. I even buy stuff like that just for kicks, such as one Mensa IQ game that says "test your brain to it's limits", and, another cute doozie, the Japanese band Dir en grey had a single out called Filth, but used such a difficult font for them to read, they didn't notice the cover spells "fhlth".
*snigger* :lol: You think they would have checked their work - after all, it's their livelihood on the line here. ;)

Hmm... nothing wrong with being a stickler. I work in accounts and admin, and deal with people's names and contact details (as well as their credit card details) all day. In a job like that, you have to have a good eye for detail. ;) I'm sure that people wouldn't appreciate it (for example) if I spell their name wrong, or if their stuff goes astray because I put down the wrong address - although I've had a few that didn't seem to care very much. I've even had one person who tried to insist that she paid for a course. I didn't get her payment, so I asked her how she paid - and she said "I put the cash in an envelope and sent it to you guys!" :shock:

Cue a second or two of shock, followed by an explosion of laughter... ;)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”