Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by BBP »

Not sure if you caught that story, but about half a year ago I was approached by a musicologist who wanted to use one of my drawings, a Circle of Fifths in the shape of a peacock, in his book. He couldn't pay me but with credits and a link to my page. Me, I was honored at getting a publication anyway so I said yes, and then he sent me a lengthy mail to thank me... in which he continuously misspelled my name.

I haven't heard from the book yet, maybe it fell through or got delayed, but I should open bonnie.ploeg.ws for business, just in case. :roll:

Anyway, finished Triomf van de Verschroeide Aarde yesterday, great read!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Currently reading Musashi by Ejii Yoshikawa. Since it's an epic of over 1200 pages, that'll keep me off the street. Also recently finished Thea Beckman's Vrijgevochten and occasionally I inch my way forward in Oliver Sacks's Migraine.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finished Musashi and am moving on to Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse.
Skip to new scripts
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

I'm currently reading The Best of Fritz Leiber, really enjoying it. It's a collection of short stories, kind of reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I just finished reading Global Village Idiot by John O'Farrell - it's basically a collection of his newspaper opinion columns from late 2000 to early 2003. It's fairly interesting (and also humorous!), in the sense that it captures a snapshot of left-wing British opinion at a rather turbulent time. The benefit of hindsight can be a wonderful thing.

Why am I reading O'Farrell's books, you may ask? Mainly because I've also read his books about British history, which are wonderfully comic (e.g. An Utterly Impartial History of Britain (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge). A very funny read, even if you don't care about history one way or the other. ;)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

gumby wrote:I'm currently reading The Best of Fritz Leiber, really enjoying it. It's a collection of short stories, kind of reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft.
I take it that it has some of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories. It has been years since I have read Leiber.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Can't recall if I said it in here - but currently reading the first HARRY POTTER book. I've been writing a story for Dexter (my friend's son who has Down Syndrome) and it's a Harry Potter meets Chronicles of Narnia meets Norse mythology kind of story - so reading Harry Potter to put myself in the mindset of writing for a younger audience.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

And are you liking it? I've read all the Harry Potter books.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Scratch the Hesse: I had three books for my birthday: one on Zappa's ill-fated 1988 tour, and two Murakami novels. I started on Norwegian Wood this morning and am half-way already, hard to put down!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:And are you liking it? I've read all the Harry Potter books.
Heh - in the server move, I think some messages are lost. Not a big deal. Expected of new messages.

So I will reply again - I am! It's not my typical book I enjoy these days - but it reminds me of my childhood with Chronicles of Narnia, and the Black Cauldron (or whatever that entire series was called). I have viciously hunted down those old school books with the covers I remembered as a child. So I am hoping that I can channel that energy into the book I hope to one day finish before I leave this world, for Dexter.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finished Norwegian Wood this afternoon, now I can watch the film! Great book too!
Moving on to Zappa The Hard Way, about Zappa's ill-fated 1988 tour when he ended up firing most of his band.
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Norwegian Wood? Surely you don't mean this classic? ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Book is named after that song.
Finished Zappa The Hard Way yesterday, moving on to a Murakami story collection that I think my father gave to me because it has "elephant" in the title.
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Norwegian Wood? Surely you don't mean this classic? ;)
I thought it was an adult book... :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”