Star Wars / Star Trek Discussion (SciFi In General)

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Star Wars / Star Trek Discussion (SciFi In General)

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

YAS!

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: OK, obviously this is LucasFilm's equivalent of saying "Who cares if it has no story, makes no sense, and screws with the canon? Let's bring everyone together and have some silly fun!" :D

Then again, it's on Disney+. It's not supposed to make sense. ;)

So when will Disney+ do anything with the Monkey Island franchise that they bought? :x They have the rights to it, but they've done a big zip-ola with it since 2012. Same with Grim Fandango.

Maybe it's for the best. I shudder to think of what Disney would do. Maybe it would go like this: Guybrush Threepwood and LeChuck the Pirate suddenly become buddy-buddies and travel around the Caribbean together with Elaine Marley -- and then some Buried Evil(TM) that no-one's ever heard of erupts from Under The Sea(C), and Guybrush's parrot Squeaky flies off and Saves the Day(TM). The End. :P

Of course, I know why Disney+ will never do anything with Monkey Island ... they think people are morons and will confuse it with "Pirates of the Caribbean", and start complaining about there being no Captain Jack Sparrow. Grumble. :( Personally, I think the public is smarter than that, and you *can* have more than one pirate-related franchise out there. But hey, I'm not in charge of Disney+. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:21 pm :lol: OK, obviously this is LucasFilm's equivalent of saying "Who cares if it has no story, makes no sense, and screws with the canon? Let's bring everyone together and have some silly fun!" :D

Then again, it's on Disney+. It's not supposed to make sense. ;)

So when will Disney+ do anything with the Monkey Island franchise that they bought? :x They have the rights to it, but they've done a big zip-ola with it since 2012. Same with Grim Fandango.

Maybe it's for the best. I shudder to think of what Disney would do. Maybe it would go like this: Guybrush Threepwood and LeChuck the Pirate suddenly become buddy-buddies and travel around the Caribbean together with Elaine Marley -- and then some Buried Evil(TM) that no-one's ever heard of erupts from Under The Sea(C), and Guybrush's parrot Squeaky flies off and Saves the Day(TM). The End. :P

Of course, I know why Disney+ will never do anything with Monkey Island ... they think people are morons and will confuse it with "Pirates of the Caribbean", and start complaining about there being no Captain Jack Sparrow. Grumble. :( Personally, I think the public is smarter than that, and you *can* have more than one pirate-related franchise out there. But hey, I'm not in charge of Disney+. ;)
The funny thing about that is the first Pirates of the Caribbean film was originally supposed to be a movie based on The Secret of Monkey Island.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

How so? *curious* I doubt that Jack Sparrow would've been a wanna-be pirate who chases after ghost pirates, because that's Monkey Island's schtick. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:54 am How so? *curious* I doubt that Jack Sparrow would've been a wanna-be pirate who chases after ghost pirates, because that's Monkey Island's schtick. ;)
How so? Well, there's no hard proof, but there's major similarities, including the script writer of the canceled Monkey Island movie later working on Pirates of the Caribbean.

Jack Sparrow was created for PotC. He was never going to be in a Monkey Island movie. :roll:
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, it's all but accepted by the community that the first PotC movie started as a Monkey Island movie script.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK, fair enough. :) I've never seen any of the POTC movies, because I just wasn't interested in them. The Ghost Pirate LeChuck is enough of an antagonist for me. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm I've never seen any of the POTC movies, because I just wasn't interested in them.
:o :shock: :o :shock: x infinity
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm OK, fair enough. :) I've never seen any of the POTC movies, because I just wasn't interested in them. The Ghost Pirate LeChuck is enough of an antagonist for me. :D
The first is nothing but pure, plain fun. The second is a bit meh, and the third is a little too serious at times, but it wraps things up (although the ending is surprisingly sad/depressing by design). Don't even bother with the fourth movie unless you want something to watch while switching your brain off entirely. Sure, none of the PotC movies could ever be considered "intellectual," but the fourth movie just doesn't fit.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:30 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm OK, fair enough. :) I've never seen any of the POTC movies, because I just wasn't interested in them. The Ghost Pirate LeChuck is enough of an antagonist for me. :D
The first is nothing but pure, plain fun. The second is a bit meh, and the third is a little too serious at times, but it wraps things up (although the ending is surprisingly sad/depressing by design). Don't even bother with the fourth movie unless you want something to watch while switching your brain off entirely. Sure, none of the PotC movies could ever be considered "intellectual," but the fourth movie just doesn't fit.
I don't care for the 2nd one. Weakest one to me. 4th one was a bit like the first one - mixed in with the second one. First one goes back to being more about Jack Sparrow (almost a clean start), with the high fantasy of the second one (but not as corny).
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Don't forget the 5th one. I like them all but I think the 3rd is the worst. 1st is definitely the best. At least that one should be watched by anybody at least once.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:29 am Don't forget the 5th one. I like them all but I think the 3rd is the worst. 1st is definitely the best. At least that one should be watched by anybody at least once.
Wait a sec... there's a fifth PotC movie? :shock:

Okay, well, there is (not that I doubted you, MI, but it's possible you were pulling my leg too ;)) a fifth movie called Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, so I'll need to watch that. I had no idea another PotC film came out, let alone three years ago!

Chances are it's not all that good, but if it's on Amazon Prime or Netflix it's not like I'm paying more for it. Of course... that's a big if, considering the majority of stuff on Amazon Prime and Netflix is complete crap.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:40 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm I've never seen any of the POTC movies, because I just wasn't interested in them.
:o :shock: :o :shock: x infinity
What's wrong? Not everyone has to like everything. ;) Besides, I'd been busy the past few years working part-or-full-time, rehearsing/performing part-time, baby-sitting part-time, writing part-time, and looking for an agent/publisher part-time.

I was (and still am) fairly tired ALL OF THE TIME. ;) So if I went to see a movie, I'd probably fall asleep halfway through (plus, movie theatres are overpriced anyway).

I think the only movies I saw in the past 5 years are the Hobbit ones. Nothing else seemed interesting to me, you see -- the more that the ads say the words "BLOCKBUSTER", "Academy-Award nominated", "Smash hit" etc., the less interested I become. My brain just turns off and says "Hype hype hype, not interested". :P ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I won't try to convince you to watch it... but... it's kinda awesome. :D

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”