Question for people who use GOG (Good Old Games)...

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Question for people who use GOG (Good Old Games)...

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 pm Coming back to the thread topic (Steam and GOG) - This article from Lifehacker summarises the good, the bad, and the ugly about them both. :) It's from early 2016, though... any idea if it's still accurate?
Everyone's experience differs. I've never had a problem with Steam's customer support (and I've returned a my fair share of games). I've also returned a couple on GOG, and it's a lot more difficult there, but they will do it eventually.

Steam's return window of "less than 14 days and played under two hours" is really there to prevent people from playing a game and then returning it, or in some cases, using it simply to get cards. Yes, people actually buy games just to get trading cards to sell on the marketplace and then try to return the game. I don't see how anyone makes money by selling cards there since the vast majority of cards sell for around five-to-ten cents each. You'd need to spend all day, every day, gaining and selling cards just to afford a discounted title, let alone games at full price.

Speaking of pricing... that can be a little weird. In most cases, GOG is more expensive than Steam, at least in Canadian dollars. Sometimes they're equal and on rare occasions, might even be the reverse. If you did a direct monetary conversion from USD to CAD, you'd find that in MOST cases, Steam charges less than if you went by pure conversion rate.

I think GOG might be more fair to Europeans, but I don't know that for sure. I know I have bought games on GOG and been given a small credit in return, but even if you take the credit into account, the price is usually still more than you'd find on Steam.

That said, it might be different in Australian dollars or any other currency. I wouldn't know, would I?

One area where GOG is much better than Steam is gifting games. Steam won't let you gift someone a game if the price is more than 20% higher or lower in their own currency. In other words, I've been prevented from getting games for my brother and Dad because the price difference was enough between USD and CAD that it wasn't allowed.

Why does Steam do this? Here's a quote about it from Kotaku:
[...] this will also probably strike a heavy blow to sketchy gray market sites like G2A, seeing as there are now fewer ways for people to acquire Steam keys. Moreover, the way it worked previously was, resellers would sometimes buy a gift, keep it in their inventory, sell a copy of a game on G2A, and then friend whoever they’d sold the game to and give them the game as a gift. Now that’s no longer possible. This, when paired with upcoming changes that’ll allow developers to directly hand out keys to reviewers within Steam (rather than distribute them as exploitable keys), will likely turn that scene on its head.
In other words, people were acting like assholes, so everyone suffers. Same story as always.

GOG will let you gift a game to anyone, but I have a feeling part of their more relaxed attitude on this is due to have a smaller user base. GOG has a lot of users, but it's nowhere near the amount Steam has, so GOG can be more flexible at times in regards to rules.

Something else GOG does every once in a while (it's really up to the game publishers) is called GOG Connect. Honestly, I'm way too tired to try to explain this one, so here's a link about it: https://www.gog.com/connect

In terms of the actual client, GOG Galaxy is... well, I'd only use it to update games. It has a lot of problems otherwise, including extremely slow download speeds. And that is the fault of the client, because download speeds are much faster when downloading directly from the website or through the Downloader. A small handful of games actually NEED the Galaxy client because they're online games. Unsurprisingly, there are lots of arguments on the discussion forums at GOG relating to this issue.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm
MusicallyInspired wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 am Now everyone and their dog is on there
Wait - is that a jab at me?!?!? :lol:
Lol I didn't even think of that honestly.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 pm :shock: Wow! It looks like I haven't missed anything by not having FB. Yikes.
It wasn't always like this. It was just a nice, fast way to connect. I never considered it a place to meet new people. But turning into what it is now was inevitable.
DeadPoolX wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:24 am Steam's return window of "less than 14 days and played under two hours" is really there to prevent people from playing a game and then returning it, or in some cases, using it simply to get cards. Yes, people actually buy games just to get trading cards to sell on the marketplace and then try to return the game. I don't see how anyone makes money by selling cards there since the vast majority of cards sell for around five-to-ten cents each. You'd need to spend all day, every day, gaining and selling cards just to afford a discounted title, let alone games at full price.
When I first found out you could sell the trading cards I looked through my collection (that I didn't care about) and sold each and every one of them. I made almost $40 or something. Bought a few games. You can't really "make" money as all you get is funds in your Steam wallet that you can't transfer out, but it was a nice way to pick up some titles I had never purchased yet. I remember at one point I had sold so many that Valve required me to fill out a special tax form or something because I had made over a certain amount in a year. Lol

These days I tend to try to collect a few cards to unlock the bonus extras it gives you (Steam profile backgrounds, emotes, etc) just for fun. I only do it for my favourite games to show I'm a fan. But I mean, who really looks at Steam profiles anyway? It's not that kind of a social platform. It's just fun personally to do. I still sell the ones I don't care about but I'll never make as much as I did before unless I wait years and collect a ton more before selling.
Speaking of pricing... that can be a little weird. In most cases, GOG is more expensive than Steam, at least in Canadian dollars. Sometimes they're equal and on rare occasions, might even be the reverse. If you did a direct monetary conversion from USD to CAD, you'd find that in MOST cases, Steam charges less than if you went by pure conversion rate.
Yeah, I've been through this. GOG prices seem to be better now, but in the recent past Steam was always cheaper in Canada. I'd do the math every time on the exchange to see if paying in Canadian dollars was worth it. Most of the time it wasn't. That's changed recently, though. When our dollar was a lot better than USD a number of years ago, buying on Steam awesome because it would pretty much always turn out to save a few cents. Not anymore. Steam and GOG (GOG first) started catching up to the exchange difference and started changing their Canadian prices to match the exchange with USD.
One area where GOG is much better than Steam is gifting games. Steam won't let you gift someone a game if the price is more than 20% higher or lower in their own currency. In other words, I've been prevented from getting games for my brother and Dad because the price difference was enough between USD and CAD that it wasn't allowed.
I never knew that. Huh.
Something else GOG does every once in a while (it's really up to the game publishers) is called GOG Connect. Honestly, I'm way too tired to try to explain this one, so here's a link about it: https://www.gog.com/connect
Basically, every now and then GOG, with the support and blessing of a few publishers at a time, will allow you to redeem some of the games you have on Steam on GOG. It's always for a limited time but it's nice to get some of your Steam titles DRM-free on GOG with this method. Though, the last time it happened it simply would not recognize some of the games I had on Steam and wouldn't redeem it. I had my Steam privacy settings set right and everything...oh well. I didn't care about the title in question anyway.
In terms of the actual client, GOG Galaxy is... well, I'd only use it to update games. It has a lot of problems otherwise, including extremely slow download speeds. And that is the fault of the client, because download speeds are much faster when downloading directly from the website or through the Downloader. A small handful of games actually NEED the Galaxy client because they're online games. Unsurprisingly, there are lots of arguments on the discussion forums at GOG relating to this issue.
I use the client whenever I play a GOG game (not often atm). I don't notice the stunted speeds as I've got a pretty fast connection now and I just leave it to run and come back to it. I'm never in a position where I want to play something "now!" and am waiting on slow speeds.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK. in Australian dollars, I noticed that GOG prices have come down significantly, especially for older games - e.g. "CivCity: Rome" (a nice little city builder from 2006) was $13. Thanks to a sale, it's now $4. :shock:

So, I guess the downloader is the best way to go, then? After all, I doubt this game will ever be updated. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:48 pm So, I guess the downloader is the best way to go, then? After all, I doubt this game will ever be updated. ;)
Well, it's not the game itself that's typically updated with older games - but sometimes they update the installer.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Er... *confused* If I install the game, what difference does it make if they update the installer file?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 pm Er... *confused* If I install the game, what difference does it make if they update the installer file?
Different/better configurations, applied patches, any mistakes made with the earlier installer, etc.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:57 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 pm Er... *confused* If I install the game, what difference does it make if they update the installer file?
Different/better configurations, applied patches, any mistakes made with the earlier installer, etc.
^ This.

And sometimes, as some games (King's Quest VI) become compatible with ScummVM, they might change the installer from DOSBox (hooray!) to ScummVM (boo!) because it will support the "Windows" version (which has better graphics).
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:48 pm So, I guess the downloader is the best way to go, then? After all, I doubt this game will ever be updated. ;)
I'd say use the Downloader to actually download the games and then use Galaxy to keep them updated. And yes, sometimes Galaxy will update itself as well (just like Steam).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:16 am
I'd say use the Downloader to actually download the games and then use Galaxy to keep them updated. And yes, sometimes Galaxy will update itself as well (just like Steam).
Er, what? *confused* So you're saying that I should use both the Downloader and Galaxy? I thought my choice was either/or.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:11 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:16 am
Er, what? *confused* So you're saying that I should use both the Downloader and Galaxy? I thought my choice was either/or.
It is.

He's literally saying use the Downloader to download the games.
But keep GoG Galaxy running also, since that will keep the games up to date, rather than you (if you wanted) going to GoG and occasionally seeing if the game or the installers have been updated.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmmm. I'm just confused because I normally play games when I'm offline, so do I need to update installers or a game? After all, a game like CivCity: Rome is over 12 years old, so I doubt anyone's making mods for it. (I doubt that mods are even possible for a city builder)! ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm He's literally saying use the Downloader to download the games.
But keep GoG Galaxy running also, since that will keep the games up to date, rather than you (if you wanted) going to GoG and occasionally seeing if the game or the installers have been updated.
Exactly. I'd say just use GOG Galaxy if the download speeds were sufficient, but in my experience (and the experience of many others, judging by the complaints on GOG's forums) Galaxy downloads files a lot slower than the Downloader does, regardless of your Internet speed capability.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:31 pm Hmmm. I'm just confused because I normally play games when I'm offline, so do I need to update installers or a game? After all, a game like CivCity: Rome is over 12 years old, so I doubt anyone's making mods for it. (I doubt that mods are even possible for a city builder)! ;)
I'm just recommending using the Downloader to download games because it's fast and then use GOG Galaxy to keep games updated because I have a lot of games through GOG, many of which are new (or at least recent) and are still receiving regular updates. If your sole reason for using GOG is to play games that are at least a decade old or more, then no, you probably don't need to worry too much about updates.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, OK. Thanks for your advice! :)

Hmm, just wondering now ... does GOG have any games that are not at least a decade old? ;) I'd have thought that was GOG's entire reason for existing - to provide old games for old gamers, for the sake of nostalgia. (And also, for those old gamers, to introduce new gamers to the old games!) :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 pm Ah, OK. Thanks for your advice! :)

Hmm, just wondering now ... does GOG have any games that are not at least a decade old? ;) I'd have thought that was GOG's entire reason for existing - to provide old games for old gamers, for the sake of nostalgia. (And also, for those old gamers, to introduce new gamers to the old games!) :)
Pillars of Eternity is one, right off the bat, that I know is brand new.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 pm Ah, OK. Thanks for your advice! :)

They have a LOT of games that are new from all different genres. GOG hasn't been about "old games" for a long time now. In fact, they actually call themselves "GOG" and no longer use it as an acronym for "good old games."

You might want to take a look at their library of games. You'll find games ranging from the late 1970s/early 1980s to 2018. I'd even say they have more games that are new (or at least less than five years old) than they do really old games nowadays.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”