Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by AndreaDraco »

I've just begun today Summers of Night by Dan Simmons, a novelist whom I find incredibly good, even better sometimes than the so-called horror masters like Stephen King or Dan Koontz. Here's the summary:

For an eleven-year-old boy, summer vacation stretches ahead like a great banquet of sun-drenched freedom and adventure. But for the kids in little Elm Haven, Illinois, the summer of 1960 - perhaps the last American summer of innocence - is a time of dark nights, rustlings in the closet, stirrings under the bed, pale faces at the window, and the death of onw of their own. Something ancient and evil is stirring within the century-old walls of Old Central School and friends Mike, Duane, Dale, Harlen and Kevin have to stop it before it destroys not only their last summer of childhood... but their lives.

I've read that the book bears many similarities with It (King's masterpiece, in my opinion) but that it's also better written and more dark. I greatly enjoyed every Dan Simmons' novel I've read - Drood is a must-read - and I look forward to this novel. I love coming-of-age tales, and if they have a dark color to them all the better ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am currently, half heartedly, reading Empire of Blood, which is the third book in the Minotaur Wars series in Dragonlance.

Now when I say half-heartedly, I don't mean that because the book is bad, or slow. But because I have so many freaking hobbies, that sometimes, a lot of them fall onto the way side - whether it's because I am working on Neverending Nights, or because I am working on two different pbems that I run, or if I am randomly working on one of the way-too-many-to-list websites I dabble in, or just sometimes reading a comic series, or sometimes playing a game...

It's an excellent book. But some of the main characters died in the 2nd book, leaving the third book a little hollow for me. It's still incredibly written, but with some of the characters I loved not being in the third volume, sometimes makes it difficult.

Added to that, because I sometimes take forever to come back to the book, I often go back several chapters, to re-read them and refresh my mind (even if I know the general idea of the story still in my head, Richard A. Knaak is awesome for tiny details, that makes re-reading to refresh my mind, worth it).

I just wish the third book of the Dragonships would come out. Nothing has excited me in books as the first two books did in a very long time.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Sometimes I wonder why we have 20 pages of gaming discussions, 11 of television and only 4 of books ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:Sometimes I wonder why we have 20 pages of gaming discussions, 11 of television and only 4 of books ;)
Well, I think it's easier for television because you get weekly episodes you could discuss... then for gaming... Well, there's a common game that several of us like (Dragon Age)... that's taken off... but other gaming threads are still only a few pages... Books, take time to read... Well, they do for me, anyway. It can sometimes take me a year to read a book. And as it is, I don't think a single person who has read any of the books I have read, so it's not like there's much discussion there.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I just finished reading Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler. An adventure story about 2 married adventureers after a treasure stolen by Xerxes the Great, discovered and hidden by Napolean. Of course there's an evil megalomaniac after it too.. It was pretty good. I'm now reading a murder mystery written by Phoebe Atwood-Taylor, who's been dead longer than most of you have been alive. Her books are set on Cape Cod in the 1920;s and 30's. They're pretty dated. This one, Spring Harrowing, is the 14th in a series about a local freelance detective and jack of all trades named Asey Mayo (called the Codfish Sherlock by the press). I love both of these authors.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Maybe we should start a book club. Have anyone who wants to read the same book and then after say a month...discuss.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hey that's a great idea!
The book I've read most recently is not an overly spectacular or intellectual choice to brag about. I'm a huge fan of Thea Beckman, a Dutch author of youngster's books. She was my first experience with "unability to put down a book at any cost", with Crusade in Jeans. I read all 600 pages of it in one go on a hot summer day. I bought The Miracle Of Rotterdam last week, read it in one blow.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm reading"Barbarians: Secrets of the Dark Ages" by Richard Rudgley, a book based on a TV series of the same name, that was broadcast on channel 4 in the UK.

It's a fairly interesting read about some of the less well-known civilizations of the dark ages (e.g. the Huns, the Angles, the Saxons etc.), but I personally find that it over-simplifies some things and glosses over others. Still, a good refresher for serious students of history, and a good beginning for history buffs. If you're looking for an easier introduction, I'd definitely recommend The Enemies of Rome by Philip Matyszak. Matyszak clearly and gently introduces many of Rome's enemies, from Hannibal to Attila the Hun, and gives insights into their lives, the world in which they lived, anecdotes about them and so on. It's a terrific and easy read, made easier by the fact that Matyszak is a great storyteller - I have three of his books and was not disappointed by any of them. If you can find it, snap it up - a great buy! *thumbs up*
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I like the idea of a Book Club! :D

Who would like to partecipate?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Would love a book club but I'm not sure if it'd work.
Currently reading one of my birthday presents: The Evenings, by Gerard Reve, the audiobook. In Dutch, as read by the author.
I love The Evenings. It's the book I picked to read aloud at my Dutch oral exam, and I know the first page by heart.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Well, not too long ago I said I was half-heartedly reading Empire of Blood... Well, last weekend, I took it to work to read on lunch and stuff - and am once again, full swing into the book!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

The last book I read cover to cover in one go by virtue of being on a long plane trip. It was entertaining enough to keep my mind somewhat sane by not focussing on the 9 hours of sustained turbulence in an 11 hour flight.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is as glorious as the title suggests. Certainly not something to take deathly serious but a good way to pass a few hours.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Even though I suggested a book club, I think it's gonna be hard to get everyone to agree on which book to read. How about a fantasy that's not too focused on killing everything in sight, or a good mystery. Any suggestions?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

A good mystery sounds good. *nodnod* I don't know what mysteries other people have been reading, but I'm rather partial to any of the Agatha Christie "Poirot" novels. I've read a couple of Raymond Chandlers as well.

I can't say that I can discuss any of the Edgar Allan Poe mysteries (e.g. The Case at the Rue Morgue etc.), but if anyone's interested in his better-known horror stories, I can recommend some. I know even less about the Sherlock Holmes stories - sorry about that!

However, I've got plenty to say about any of Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" police procedural novels (i.e. the City Watch books!) :D

What about the rest of you?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I'm open to anything fantasy or mystery, really. I'd like to share thoughts on books I've already read or discover new ones :)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”