McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:Wonder Woman should be flying, but I guess running is a lot cheaper.
Uh. What?
I thought she couldn't fly?
She flew around in an invisible jet. But I don't recall her flying on her own like Superman. (I am probably wrong; or perhaps later she got the flying? Because everyone has new powers and such over the years; before all White Queen could do was be a telepath; now she can turn her skin to diamond, because of the comic story evolved her as a "secondary" mutation.... :roll: ... So when she first appeared, I don't recall that she could fly).

And probably, they're going for a more "realistic" hero type show. So they'd have her running, so people associate with the character more, perhaps? Flying might be too much for people. Not to mention, if she were to lay flat down for the flying, I can't imagine how she wouldn't fall out of that outfit. (Oh, to have copies of those bloopers...) :lol: (Yeah, I am a typically scummy guy!)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:Wonder Woman should be flying, but I guess running is a lot cheaper.
Uh. What?
I thought she couldn't fly?
She flew around in an invisible jet. But I don't recall her flying on her own like Superman. (I am probably wrong; or perhaps later she got the flying? Because everyone has new powers and such over the years; before all White Queen could do was be a telepath; now she can turn her skin to diamond, because of the comic story evolved her as a "secondary" mutation.... :roll: ... So when she first appeared, I don't recall that she could fly).
In the DC post-crisis world (1986 and on), WW has been able to fly on her own in comics and the JLU animated TV series. More recently, she did acquire an invisible jet, but she doesn't need it. I imagine she uses it if she's tired or wants to actually sleep on a long flight.
Tawmis wrote:And probably, they're going for a more "realistic" hero type show. So they'd have her running, so people associate with the character more, perhaps? Flying might be too much for people. Not to mention, if she were to lay flat down for the flying, I can't imagine how she wouldn't fall out of that outfit. (Oh, to have copies of those bloopers...) :lol: (Yeah, I am a typically scummy guy!)
Realistic, huh? I guess there's nothing unrealistic about an immortal Amazon warrior made from clay who relies on ancient Greek gods. :P
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: In the DC post-crisis world (1986 and on), WW has been able to fly on her own in comics and the JLU animated TV series. More recently, she did acquire an invisible jet, but she doesn't need it. I imagine she uses it if she's tired or wants to actually sleep on a long flight.
Makes sense, since the Invisible Jet was something that was "Ok" in the 60s and 70s (Groovy man!) but these days, folks who would read the comic would think it's ridiculous and would much rather she fly on her own.
DeadPoolX wrote:
Tawmis wrote:And probably, they're going for a more "realistic" hero type show. So they'd have her running, so people associate with the character more, perhaps? Flying might be too much for people.
Realistic, huh? I guess there's nothing unrealistic about an immortal Amazon warrior made from clay who relies on ancient Greek gods. :P
I would be surprised if they say she's made of clay or anything like that - I'd wager they stick with the fact that she's an immortal Amazon (Amazon version of Hercules or something).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

More on the Wonder Woman costume change...

When "Wonder Woman" announced that Adrianne Palicki had been cast in the title role, buzz on the superhero show quickly shot through the roof. But then fans got a look at the ill-advised costume. Outrage quickly ensued. And hell hath no fury like a comic fan outraged.

The anger stemmed from Wonder Woman's shiny, rubber-like pants and high heels. It looked like a cheap version of a "sexy" Halloween costume. Fans cried out -- this is no way for a superhero, especially one of the most beloved of all time, to dress.

The blogosphere immediately went into cynical overdrive. Commenters on EW's article speculated that the show would be canceled in a matter of weeks. SlashFilm wrote that the outfit did little to inspire confidence in the show's prospects.

Apparently the producers of the show were listening. Some photos of the actress on the set have surfaced, and eagle-eyed fans quickly spotted the changes to Wonder Woman's threads. The shiny pants have been replaced by a more natural-looking fabric. Her footwear has gone through a transformation as well. The bright boots, which were once blue, are now red. And, even more important, no more high heels.

But even though some of Wonder Woman's outfit has changed, much of it remains the same. The red bustier is still intact as are her trademark tiara and lasso of truth. Time will tell if these modest changes to Wonder Woman's threads have a positive effect on the show when it premieres on NBC this fall.

Ms. Palicki is probably best known her work on the acclaimed TV series "Friday Night Lights." And though she isn't well known, fans seem to be pretty supportive of her taking up the tiara. That includes Lynda Carter, who played Wonder Woman in the beloved (and campy) TV show from way back when. Carter even liked the original outfit, saying: "What's not to like! Adrianne [Palicki] looks gorgeous."
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/12/nbc-r ... der-woman/

Good. I'd love to see a Wonder Woman tv show but as much as I love the actress the whole project is terrible and it never seeing the light of day is best.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

And in other NBC-related news, Chuck has been renewed for a fifth and final season. However, I'm even more happy about Jason Katim's Parenthood being renewed for a third season.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

NBC also renewed the Kathy Bates show, Harry's Law, my new favorite. I'm glad they cancelled Law & Order: LA.....why? ... because they cancelled the original Law & Order (my former favorite) to make room for it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/nbc-passes-on- ... ilot--2972

This spring, no pilot was more buzzy, controversial, or intensely scrutinized than "Wonder Woman." But evidently, buzz is not enough to overcome the stink of a misbegotten failure: This week, NBC declined to pick up the show.

The news comes as the networks prepare for their upfront presentations (where they unveil their fall schedules for advertisers). "Wonder Woman" would have seemed to be a sure thing: It was produced by David E. Kelley, whose TV successes with the network date back to "L.A. Law," and starred geek-bait stars like Cary "The Princess Bride" Elwes and Elizabeth "Austin Powers" Hurley. But reports of its abysmal script (which was later rewritten, to slightly more positive effect) seem to have been borne out in a pilot episode NBC could not approve. The ongoing agita over the design of the title character's costume — which producers attempted to quell by announcing Wonder Woman would actually alternate three different looks — probably didn't help either.

"Wonder Woman" is not the only pilot NBC commissioned, and then (reportedly) rejected. "A. Mann's World," a dramedy from "Sex and the City" producer Michael Patrick King, would have starred Don Johnson as a hairstylist, and Ellen Barkin as his ex-wife. "17th Precinct" would have reteamed "Battlestar Galactica" co-creator Ron Moore with "Galactica" stars James Callis and Jamie Bamber, but the notion of a series about a magic police station (really) may have been too strange for network television. And author A.J. Jacobs has expressed equanimity about the death of a sitcom pilot based on his book "My Life as an Experiment": "As the Jews say, may its memory be a blessing!...I will always have the fake BlackBerry prop that I stole from the set. They can't take that away from me!"

Fortunately for David E. Kelley, he has had some good news from NBC this week: It has picked up his surprise hit dramedy "Harry's Law" for a second season. Maybe he can write in a role for Adrianne Palicki, the would-have-been Wonder Woman: I see her as a sassy, very tall brunette paralegal, who never dresses in latex bustiers.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”