Dragon Age: Inquisition (Discussion)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition (Discussion)

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Apologies for the double-post... by the time I made this post, my earlier post was locked and I couldn't edit it. :(

Well, I started playing DA3, and I'm even more confused now. ;) I'm not sure what I can do - the circular map thing is not much help, but I can always open another view at the map, so that's ok. Regardless:

1. There are containers that I can loot (bodies, chests etc.), but I'm not sure how to interact with them. Any ideas? Would this be the right mouse button (i.e. right-click)?

2. I cannot interact with party members or with NPCs. Any ideas?

3. I'm not sure how to turn on subtitles.

4. When I level up, I can assign abilities (sword, shield etc.) but not attributes (e.g. strength, magic etc.) What's going on? Any ideas how I can do this?

5. I cannot set abilities or attributes when I start the game (like I could in DAO or DA2). Should I be able to do this?

Thanks for your help! :)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

1. You have to get near to them, or use the Tactical Camera (T) to impart the order.

2. Same as number 1. You have to get near to them. (At least I think this is your problem.)

3. There's an option in one of the... er... Options sub-menus.

4 & 5. Yes, you can only assign abilities. Attributes are calculated by the game. And no, the Character Menu is not available at the start.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Whoops. :oops: Sorry for missing the pre-existing thread. I'll give the game a try then. Thanks for your opinions. :)

******EDIT******

Well, I've started the installation... and I'm a bit concerned. What is this Origin thing but simply a game delivery system, like Steam? Do I need it? And another thing - why is it even there? DA:O didn't need it; DA2 didn't need it. Why does DA3 need it?

I'm not complaining, I'm just confused. Any ideas?
Origin is EA's version of Steam, only it's far more limited and less user-friendly.

Origin was first released in 2011, and since then all of EA's titles for the PC are exclusive to Origin. Older games, like Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, or The Sims 3 are available elsewhere (on Steam or in disc format) in addition to being on Origin as well.

Most of us here who play BioWare games were introduced to Origin when we played Mass Effect 3 since it was required to run the game. The same is true of Inquisition.

BTW, Rath, you set up your storyline through the Dragon Age Keep before playing, right? If you didn't, Inquisition will simply use a default storyline and background, which may ignore what you did or didn't do in previous games.

Just so you know, you log into the DAK using your Origin account name and password. It's because it links up with your account to import your selections into Inquisition.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:Whoops. :oops: Sorry for missing the pre-existing thread. I'll give the game a try then. Thanks for your opinions. :)

******EDIT******

Well, I've started the installation... and I'm a bit concerned. What is this Origin thing but simply a game delivery system, like Steam? Do I need it? And another thing - why is it even there? DA:O didn't need it; DA2 didn't need it. Why does DA3 need it?

Origin is EA's version of Steam, only it's far more limited and less user-friendly.

Origin was first released in 2011, and since then all of EA's titles for the PC are exclusive to Origin. Older games, like Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, or The Sims 3 are available elsewhere (on Steam or in disc format) in addition to being on Origin as well.

Most of us here who play BioWare games were introduced to Origin when we played Mass Effect 3 since it was required to run the game. The same is true of Inquisition.

BTW, Rath, you set up your storyline through the Dragon Age Keep before playing, right? If you didn't, Inquisition will simply use a default storyline and background, which may ignore what you did or didn't do in previous games.

Just so you know, you log into the DAK using your Origin account name and password. It's because it links up with your account to import your selections into Inquisition.
I haven't set up my storyline through the keep, no. Do I need to? I tried, and it gave me a "Default" world anyway - so I figured it didn't matter.....? *shrug*
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:

******EDIT******

I haven't set up my storyline through the keep, no. Do I need to? I tried, and it gave me a "Default" world anyway - so I figured it didn't matter.....? *shrug*
Well, it doesn't matter in the sense that the game will run just fine regardless, but the story used won't pay any attention to choices you made in the two previous games.

For instance, say you played a human noble in DA1 and decided to marry Anora. That makes your Warden the King or at least Prince Consort. Regardless, if you don't set it up that way in the DAK, then Inquisition will assume your Warden didn't take that action.

Another example is if you chose Loghain over Alistair. The default settings in the DAK likely assume you chose Alistair.

In short, many of your actions (good or bad) won't matter if you don't set it up through the DAK first before playing. Maybe the default world is close to what you did anyway, but even if it is, it still won't account for all of your decisions and therefore some things might be different.

Now as far as the DAK giving you a default world no matter what you do, that's not the case. Something went wrong, either by the site screwing up (make sure you allow javascript and cookies!) or you didn't save the profile and import it correctly.

The DAK seems pretty self-explanatory (I've used it already, and the most difficult thing for me was remembering my decisions in DA1 and DA2), but if you're having problems, I'm sure there are some guides out there somewhere.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

DeadPoolX wrote:
The DAK seems pretty self-explanatory (I've used it already, and the most difficult thing for me was remembering my decisions in DA1 and DA2), but if you're having problems, I'm sure there are some guides out there somewhere.
Same here. I didn't even remember that some choices existed at all. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Everyone answered everything else, so...
Dude, first don't worry about missing the original thread. It was buried over on page 2 or 3. I just remembered and existing one, so I searched "Inquisition" and merged them! No big deal at all. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Cheers Tawm! :)

Hmm... some impressions of DA3 so far for me. Well, I'm playing through the Hinterlands and looking around, and the game looks fairly spectacular so far, but not all that solid. :| Gameplay-wise, it appears to be DA2 all over again - albeit with a far bigger world with far more backgrounds, and without zillions of enemies dropping off the ceiling. ;) Still, the Hinterlands appears to be simply a case of "Find Quest A; Run Around, Killing Enemies; Solve Quest A. Lather, Rinse, Repeat." There are far too many small little side-quests to do, and the Hinterlands is a HUGE place. It could easily swallow the Deep Roads section from DAO without even a burp. :P

I guess perhaps one thing that bugs me about DA3 so far is that I feel a lack of personal involvement, in that - in comparison to DA2 and certainly to DAO - there are very few philosophical questions (like, for instance, the lust demon who ensnared a templar in DAO and who provided him with the illusion of happiness; do you kill the demon, thus destroying the templar's illusion, or do you let him be happy - albeit in a deluded way?) These questions of grey-and-gray-morality are one reason why DAO was so compelling for me in the first place.

There are also very few ways to talk to your companions at camp (as you could in DAO), engage them in conversation - bring them out of themselves. I miss that. It made your party members come alive more - they became real people with their own desires and wants, rather than just a bunch of pixels. The same thing was missing from DA2.

As Tawm mentioned - once opponents stop you, there are very few ways to stop the carnage and actually talk to people. It's one thing that's been missing since DAO (for instance, the Carta dwarves in DAO getting beaten and yelling "Sweet merciful stone, you fight like a bleeding Archdemon!" etc.) ;)

I've also noticed that there is no way to keep track of your party members' affection or hatred towards you (as you could in DAO and DA2). Or have I missed something? I thought the DAO version was simplest and easiest to understand.

Two final things: I'm not sure why they've put those Breaches so high up - it becomes very difficult to find the right spot to seal them, and then you play a frustrating game of "hunt the pixel". Or am I missing something? I've also noticed that the monsters in this game (particularly the demons and dragons/dragonlings) are far tougher than before. I'm at level 6, and already I have to tackle a level 12 flame demon to close a breach, or to run across a canyon infested with dragonlings to get to another breach. That flame demon takes down my party with no trouble, and those dragonlings are vicious - any more than two of them, and my party is toast (figuratively and literally). :P Is there any way to make battles easier? I've already turned the difficulty all the way down. :|

Anyway, I've talked too much already, so I'll shut up now. :P Thanks for your help! :)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Some fights are meant to be tough. You can always -- and should -- postpone them for later. And while it's true that sidequests are sometimes tedious (ok, often), it's also true that the more important ones and the main quest are far meatier than DA2.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK... one more question. Is there a way to sell equipment to merchants? I find that I'm currently loaded down with swords, maces, staves, various types of armour etc. - all of which I don't need, but there is no option to sell them to merchants at Haven and make more money. :( Is there a way to do this? Am I just missing something?

Thanks...! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Hmm... some impressions of DA3 so far for me. Well, I'm playing through the Hinterlands and looking around, and the game looks fairly spectacular so far, but not all that solid. :| Gameplay-wise, it appears to be DA2 all over again - albeit with a far bigger world with far more backgrounds, and without zillions of enemies dropping off the ceiling. ;) Still, the Hinterlands appears to be simply a case of "Find Quest A; Run Around, Killing Enemies; Solve Quest A. Lather, Rinse, Repeat." There are far too many small little side-quests to do, and the Hinterlands is a HUGE place. It could easily swallow the Deep Roads section from DAO without even a burp. :P
It does feel a bit like a Single Player MMO style themed set of Quests. But, most of those are for the "Completionists" - who must find and complete every quest they get, and uncover every area of the map. I am one of those people. I, like you, started in the Hinterlands - and uncovered everything I could. And only just now "finished" that area (though I am sure I will find myself going back there as other quests unlock - and there's the matter of a certain enemy who is not required that I wish to defeat - but I will spare the name or details, to prevent spoilers!) Now, I have been doing the Haven things, and moving the story forward (finished three little "mini areas" that I unlocked so far thanks to the events of Haven's War Room).

DAO remains my favorite thus far, but DAI is miles ahead of DA2 in the "Awesome" Rating. It's like night and day to me.
Rath Darkblade wrote: I guess perhaps one thing that bugs me about DA3 so far is that I feel a lack of personal involvement, in that - in comparison to DA2 and certainly to DAO - there are very few philosophical questions (like, for instance, the lust demon who ensnared a templar in DAO and who provided him with the illusion of happiness; do you kill the demon, thus destroying the templar's illusion, or do you let him be happy - albeit in a deluded way?) These questions of grey-and-gray-morality are one reason why DAO was so compelling for me in the first place.
I feel the same, in that regard. I don't feel like I am impacting the lives of other characters, the way I was able to in DAO, which made you do - as you showed in the example - more morally questionable choices - which really made me feel invested in my character - because I felt like I was having to really decide for the character and shape the character. There was a quest in DAI in the Hinterlands called "Blood Brothers" or something like that - about a brother mage and a brother templar - and I thought, "Oh! This is going to be cool! Trying to convince them to settle things peacefully!" And... lo and behold, that's not even an option - talking to them wasn't even an option because they were both already dead! I was disappointed.
Rath Darkblade wrote: I've also noticed that there is no way to keep track of your party members' affection or hatred towards you (as you could in DAO and DA2). Or have I missed something? I thought the DAO version was simplest and easiest to understand.
This is all done strictly through conversation and choices you make in the War Room.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Two final things: I'm not sure why they've put those Breaches so high up - it becomes very difficult to find the right spot to seal them, and then you play a frustrating game of "hunt the pixel". Or am I missing something? I've also noticed that the monsters in this game (particularly the demons and dragons/dragonlings) are far tougher than before. I'm at level 6, and already I have to tackle a level 12 flame demon to close a breach, or to run across a canyon infested with dragonlings to get to another breach. That flame demon takes down my party with no trouble, and those dragonlings are vicious - any more than two of them, and my party is toast (figuratively and literally). :P Is there any way to make battles easier? I've already turned the difficulty all the way down. :|
What does your party consist of?

As for the Dragon - leave him alone. Come back for him much later. (I am level 12 and I have yet to go back for him!)

So, here's a thing I do...

There's a Rift in the Hinterlands near the farm, next to a waterfall. I was level 7 when I came across it and the monsters not only had the red dot - but they had red skulls. Needless to say I couldn't beat it.

Until I tried something different.

I am playing a Warrior (Sword & Shield), had Varrick, Solaris and Cassandra.

I initiated the fight; immediately switched to Solaris.

Spammed magic missile attacks (frost in this case), while the other three just fought (I didn't issue any commands; just let the AI do all the fighting).

By doing this, I was able to stay out of the range of the fight - and had my warrior and Cassandra always taunting, so it kept it off my mage. I was able to fight the demons this way; until the Rift was nothing - and then switched back to my own character, and closed the Rift. I have used this method of combat three times now, during tough fights. (Mages are insanely powerful in Dragon Age, and with no "Mana Pool" to have to worry about; you can literally spam magic attacks)!

See if that helps.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:OK... one more question. Is there a way to sell equipment to merchants? I find that I'm currently loaded down with swords, maces, staves, various types of armour etc. - all of which I don't need, but there is no option to sell them to merchants at Haven and make more money. :( Is there a way to do this? Am I just missing something?
Thanks...! :)
Yes there is. Once you enter Haven (through the doors), and run up the stairs, there's a merchant immediately to your side (has a table with weapons). Or you can go to the stables (if facing the stables), all the way to the right where they're forging weapons and such; there's an option to sell.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote: I've also noticed that there is no way to keep track of your party members' affection or hatred towards you (as you could in DAO and DA2). Or have I missed something? I thought the DAO version was simplest and easiest to understand.
This is all done strictly through conversation and choices you make in the War Room.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Two final things: I'm not sure why they've put those Breaches so high up - it becomes very difficult to find the right spot to seal them, and then you play a frustrating game of "hunt the pixel". Or am I missing something? I've also noticed that the monsters in this game (particularly the demons and dragons/dragonlings) are far tougher than before. I'm at level 6, and already I have to tackle a level 12 flame demon to close a breach, or to run across a canyon infested with dragonlings to get to another breach. That flame demon takes down my party with no trouble, and those dragonlings are vicious - any more than two of them, and my party is toast (figuratively and literally). :P Is there any way to make battles easier? I've already turned the difficulty all the way down. :|
What does your party consist of?

As for the Dragon - leave him alone. Come back for him much later. (I am level 12 and I have yet to go back for him!)

So, here's a thing I do...

There's a Rift in the Hinterlands near the farm, next to a waterfall. I was level 7 when I came across it and the monsters not only had the red dot - but they had red skulls. Needless to say I couldn't beat it.

Until I tried something different.

I am playing a Warrior (Sword & Shield), had Varrick, Solaris and Cassandra.

I initiated the fight; immediately switched to Solaris.

Spammed magic missile attacks (frost in this case), while the other three just fought (I didn't issue any commands; just let the AI do all the fighting).

By doing this, I was able to stay out of the range of the fight - and had my warrior and Cassandra always taunting, so it kept it off my mage. I was able to fight the demons this way; until the Rift was nothing - and then switched back to my own character, and closed the Rift. I have used this method of combat three times now, during tough fights. (Mages are insanely powerful in Dragon Age, and with no "Mana Pool" to have to worry about; you can literally spam magic attacks)!

See if that helps.
My party is much the same as yours - Warrior (sword & shield), Varric, Cassandra and Solas. I had no idea mages were so powerful in DA3 - I guess I'm still used to the D&D idea of mages (i.e. fairly weak, at least to start with). ;)

If that's all you're doing, wouldn't the healing potions run out sooner or later, and warrior-and-Cassandra would die before the demons do? That's what often happens to me when I try to fight "red skull" opponents. :( Mind you, my characters seem to be much tougher now - having advanced to level 8, they just killed a level-7 giant on the Storm Coast (and those things are tough.) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: My party is much the same as yours - Warrior (sword & shield), Varric, Cassandra and Solas. I had no idea mages were so powerful in DA3 - I guess I'm still used to the D&D idea of mages (i.e. fairly weak, at least to start with). ;)

If that's all you're doing, wouldn't the healing potions run out sooner or later, and warrior-and-Cassandra would die before the demons do? That's what often happens to me when I try to fight "red skull" opponents. :( Mind you, my characters seem to be much tougher now - having advanced to level 8, they just killed a level-7 giant on the Storm Coast (and those things are tough.) ;)
In Haven, there's something you can do to upgrade the amount of potions you can carry (initially it's 8, mine is currently 12).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm... would this be recovering the notes for the apothecary? I have done that, but still I haven't gotten anywhere (except for the option to craft lyrium potions - which, for some reason, I still can't craft despite having the right ingredients, and I'm not sure why). :( Any ideas about this? Spoilers welcome. :)

Incidentally, some other questions:

1. Can warriors use bows? If so, how? I'd like my warrior to try using a bow to bring down some of the rams in the Hinterlands (for the subquest to bring meat to the refugees), but whenever the rams see my warrior, they run away. (I know I can use my thief and/or mage for this, but a bow-using warrior would be useful in another ways - challenging dragons, for instance!) ;)

Besides, both warriors and rogues could switch between bows and melee weapons in DAO, so has this changed in DAI? I think it might have, but I'm not sure.

2. I found Blackwall, and I know that I can try looking for missing Wardens in another location (hmm, I'd forgotten its name - but it's in Ferelden, it's not the Hinterlands or the swamps, and it features forests and grasslands and high plateaus). At any rate, I cannot find anything despite having the markers on the map... I get to the right spot, but there is nothing there. What's going on? :|

3. Some other miscellaneous quests in the Hinterlands tell me to find certain spots to find warm blankets for the refugees. I try to do so, but it seems to be a climb up a sheer rock-face - so I can't get there, despite running around the mountain to find a path up. Any ideas?

Thanks... :)

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”