Board (Bored?) Games!

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Board (Bored?) Games!

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:We've started on a round of Clue - Master Detective, and it's turning into one of the weirdest games I've yet played.
Go on! Details?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

There are 4 players and one host.
The first player wasn't able to respond within 24 hours after the host showed him his die roll, so his turn was skipped and the next person rolled.
Understandable, but after the second one moved, it took 5 days for the host to respond with a new turn.

It is Master Detective, which works with slightly different rules - one important difference is that everybody is asked to disprove at the same time. If you have more than one clue you can show 2 or even 3 cards. But if you have one, you must show.
Normally in Master Detective you'd know who'd disprove and how many cards are shown, but now we're not, so I can't learn from other people's turns.

Upon my first turn I didn't even receive a PM with disproved suggestions. Neither did the one after that (the guy whose turn was forfeited). When we asked, the host replied: "I forgot who has what card. Please PM me your cards."
{thud}

You can see how it plays out here:
http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
And if you'd like I could tell you what cards I have and which ones've been shown to me but because you can't see the results from other people's suggestions there's not much to play, it's more a guessing game now.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:There are 4 players and one host.
The first player wasn't able to respond within 24 hours after the host showed him his die roll, so his turn was skipped and the next person rolled.
Understandable, but after the second one moved, it took 5 days for the host to respond with a new turn.

It is Master Detective, which works with slightly different rules - one important difference is that everybody is asked to disprove at the same time. If you have more than one clue you can show 2 or even 3 cards. But if you have one, you must show.
Normally in Master Detective you'd know who'd disprove and how many cards are shown, but now we're not, so I can't learn from other people's turns.

Upon my first turn I didn't even receive a PM with disproved suggestions. Neither did the one after that (the guy whose turn was forfeited). When we asked, the host replied: "I forgot who has what card. Please PM me your cards."
{thud}

You can see how it plays out here:
http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
And if you'd like I could tell you what cards I have and which ones've been shown to me but because you can't see the results from other people's suggestions there's not much to play, it's more a guessing game now.
Oh! Very cool. So it's all done online (forum). I ran a D&D game, similar, PBeM (Play By Email) for _many_ years (over 10 years, one campaign!) It's cool, because it's all recorded.

I dig it. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

We played a new game called Codename: Pictures which proved to be pretty fun. We did guys vs gals.

Essentially, 20 (I think) pictures (5 x 4, I believe) are laid out on the table, face up with odd photos (all black and white). None of the pictures "make sense" - for example, there's one of a cookie being sewn, another of a teapot with butterflies over it, one with a clock melting inside a pan, etc.

And the way it works, each team assigns one clue giver. That clue giver has a card that shows where their team must guess (Red and Blue teams) on a colored tile card that mimic in color, what the "board" shows (so it has 5x4 rows of cards, seven colored red, seven colored blue, 5 white spots which are "innocents" and one black spot which is the assassin) and that only the clue giver(s) can see (there's an entire deck of colored tile cards, so you can literally use the same picture cards and change the clue giver card 100 times, and it will never be the same).

The clue giver can only give ONE clue, and say how many they are referencing. So for example, the red clue giver can say, "Animal. Three." Meaning, he's looking at three cards, with animals on them. His red team members must try to guess, which of the 20 cards, their clue giver is referencing. The problem is, these cards (as I said) don't make "sense" - so sometimes, you have monkeys, fish, bugs, fictional animals, on these cards, that also have other things on the same card. So for example, they could be a card with a unicorn on a surfboard.

If your team picks where the "assassin" card is, they automatically lose. The first one to correctly guess seven pictures wins.

(I might have the numbers wrong on how many tiles and how many cards, but you get the general idea). It's funner with a larger group, because then the team who is guessing, has to discuss it among their team, as to which cards they agree on. And when they do, they touch the card and that's how the final "guess" is determined.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I finally managed to acquire a board game I've been dying to get for years - it was never released in The Netherlands, but lo and behold, there was the German edition in my second-hand shop for less than 2 euros: Agathas Letzter Wille or 13 Dead End Drive! Hurray!

My chandelier is in one piece but it's gotten pretty fragile, so I won't let it fall many more times. It's missing the chandelier decals, the mantlepiece and the bookshelf flipping mechanism, but OMG it's cool!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK...? I don't think I understand what makes this board game so special. :? Please feel free to go into details...? :)

I have never seen this game in my life. What is all about?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Aunt Agatha has passed away. Unfortunately she had no family. Who will inherit her fortune? Is it her cook, her hairdresser or her cat?

Twelve potential heirs (butler, boyfriend, gossip friend, chauffeur, hair dresser, GP, tennis teacher, gardener, maid, fortune teller, chef and cat) gather around the table of Agatha's mansion in 13 Dead End Drive, to see who will inherit the fortune. However strange accidents start happening in her home...

Each player is given 3 or 4 suspects. They need to keep a secret which characters are theirs. Goal of the game is to:
-either have a character you own escape the house while their portrait is on the wall (which indicates they're the current heir);
-or have the portrait of one of your characters on the wall when the inspector reaches the door;
-or to have one of your characters as the last person alive in the house.

At the start of the game, the portrait gallery is uncovered, showing who the current favourite heir is. From this point on, one person will want to escape but the others will do their best to either change the portrait (when you roll double) or kill that character.

Yes, kill. This game allows you to actually kill these 12 characters in a number of amusing ways - falling down the stairs, dropping a statue on them, having a bookcase collapse on them, push them into the fireplace or have a chandelier drop on them. The game features actual working traps so you can let out a lot of agression on the cardboard pieces.

There's a whole lot of rules to keep the mayhem within limits, but it's been a slaughterhouse when I just played it for the first time!

Setting up the game takes quite some time - which I love. Unfortunately the chandelier is rather fragile and it makes a 20 cm drop - it's one of the first things to break. But it looks awesome and is an enormous stress relief!
Attachments
20200629_181447.jpg
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Ooh I've been watching a couple of reviews but I adore this guy's accent the most:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=13+dead+end+d ... cnz0x_yDZw
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Now I get it! :) It sounds fun.

But, aw ... you can't send someone into the fireplace or send the chandelier crashing on their heads. :twisted: That's so much less lethal. ;)

I used to have (a few) board games when I was younger. They're all gone now (or left behind at my parents' place). :( It'd be good if maybe I could get my niece/nephews involved, but one of my nephews is not yet 4 and he might choke on the tiny pieces... no good.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I keep wanting to buy the 1972 CLUE game, because it's the one I grew up on.

Despite how bad I was at CLUE.

And uh, well, the inability to play it with people, because of Covid.
Attachments
23f0abf683908a5494b5d8d74c366f36.jpg
d9nsvmu-ed986c37-c2f4-4f85-a22a-23f32499671a.jpg
d9pisfu-cd148eee-e397-4503-baf0-e05c61d8e788.jpg
fc5558046187571ec151c5523e0050f4.jpg
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Say we could run a game here if you'd like, or you could join us at theartofmurder.com...

I got it! Sierra Clue! Where we can all be one of our favourite characters!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Over the holiday season I played a game for the first time that I loved so much, that I bought it as soon as I could, got the PC version, and have played it relentlessly, instantly becoming no 2 on my favourite board game list between Cluedo and 13 Dead End Drive.

And it's called Pandemic.
And I keep on losing it, it's so hard, but so much fun I can't wait to play again!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

BBP wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:09 pm Say we could run a game here if you'd like, or you could join us at theartofmurder.com...

I got it! Sierra Clue! Where we can all be one of our favourite characters!
Start a new thread for it in the community games forum.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

BF bought me Pandemic: Rising Tide.Much like Pandemic with rule variation and setting in The Netherlands.

We saved our nation on our first game :D
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”