Choose my next adventure

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
adeyke
Oldbie

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by adeyke »

*Shrug*. In this case, it really is just a matter of taste, and I certainly don't begrudge people liking it. I just personally don't think it accomplished what it set out to do.

I suppose I'll give just one non-spoiler example of the sort of thing I'm talking about. In the first chapter,you need to find some berries. When asked what kind of berries they are, the character says they're "chuck berries", followed by an audible rimshot. An adult would recognize this as a reference to musician Chuck Berry (but it still wouldn't actually be funny). A child, on the other hand, probably wouldn't get the reference at all, so it's a line obviously intended as a joke, but with no discernible punchline. If the game had been designed for children, the joke would be something that they would understand. And if it had properly been designed for families, that sort of reference could be made, but without attention being drawn to it (i.e. if it's just mentioned in passing, the adult would still get the reference, but the child wouldn't realize that any sort of joke/reference had been intended).

But humor is subjective, and on this issue, I'm just presenting my own personal opinion, rather than any sort of moral stance. So if you play it and enjoy it, good for you.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:*Shrug*. In this case, it really is just a matter of taste, and I certainly don't begrudge people liking it. I just personally don't think it accomplished what it set out to do.
I suppose I'll give just one non-spoiler example of the sort of thing I'm talking about. In the first chapter,you need to find some berries. When asked what kind of berries they are, the character says they're "chuck berries", followed by an audible rimshot. An adult would recognize this as a reference to musician Chuck Berry (but it still wouldn't actually be funny). A child, on the other hand, probably wouldn't get the reference at all, so it's a line obviously intended as a joke, but with no discernible punchline. If the game had been designed for children, the joke would be something that they would understand. And if it had properly been designed for families, that sort of reference could be made, but without attention being drawn to it (i.e. if it's just mentioned in passing, the adult would still get the reference, but the child wouldn't realize that any sort of joke/reference had been intended).
But humor is subjective, and on this issue, I'm just presenting my own personal opinion, rather than any sort of moral stance. So if you play it and enjoy it, good for you.
I get where you're coming from. So, for example... I am not a coffee drinker. Never have been. Can't even tolerate the taste... the smell... any of it. In Shrek (which, for all intents and purposes is attempting the same thing Torin's Passage is - being marketable to both children/younger people and adults). There's "Starbucks Coffee" scene (see here for more) when the Giant Sized Ginger Bread Cookie threatens to destroy one - and all the patrons run across the street to the other one. I get the joke. There's a Starbucks on every corner. People in the theater laughed at that scene. I didn't. I didn't even find it remotely funny, even though I understood the reference. Heck, even said youtube link I referenced calls it "Funniest scene in Shrek 2." So humor is definitely subjective; even when one does get the joke.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (51.71 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So far I have one vote for Longbow, one for Phantasmagoria 2, and one for Torin's Passage. Collector and adeyke: do you have votes?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I'll go with Torin.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Given that you already own the games and will play them all anyways, with the voting just determining the order, I suppose I'll also say Torin. Not as an endorsement, but just so I can see if you see where I'm coming from regarding it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:Given that you already own the games and will play them all anyways, with the voting just determining the order, I suppose I'll also say Torin. Not as an endorsement, but just so I can see if you see where I'm coming from regarding it.
:lol: Get some tag team action going?
Attachments
BrsJ.gif
BrsJ.gif (716.07 KiB) Viewed 4555 times
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

My vote's Torin. Or Willy Beamish. One of those seems like a good follow-up to Camelot.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So I have 4 for Torin's Passage, 1 for Conquests of the Longbow and 1 for Phantasmagoria 2. So Torin's Passage it will be. Funny how my most recent acquisition ends up being the next one. I'm not too familiar with this one, so this should be interesting.

BTW, is there a way to do strikethroughs here? I wanted to show my complete list and strike through the games that I've done, but I don't see how to do that with the full editor.
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Strikethroughs are done via the s tag.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

adeyke wrote:Strikethroughs are done via the s tag.
Got it. Thanks.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm, I can't vote here because I haven't played Torin's Passage or Phantasmagoria. (I have no interest in Phantasmagoria either, because I really don't like anything to do with horror. :( I just can't watch it - even if I know it's a joke, watching more than about 2-3 minutes of it makes me physically ill. (I don't mean throwing up or anything, but I just can't watch it - I have to shut it off, get up and move away. *shrug* Not sure why. Maybe I've got an overactive imagination). ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Aw, Torin's cute!

I suppose Phantas was my baptism of fire in the horror genre - my least favourite genre since watching Amsterdamned at age 7 gave me horrible serial killer nightmares for years. After playing the first three chapters I found the promise disappointing, by chapter 4 I was like, finally, a corpse, and by chapter 5 I was reaching for the bucket.

By now I almost miss the days when films scared me. Watched Ringu without twitching.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:
adeyke wrote:Strikethroughs are done via the s tag.
Got it. Thanks.
Wait - since you did a strike through - does that mean you don't get it? :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmm, I can't vote here because I haven't played Torin's Passage or Phantasmagoria. (I have no interest in Phantasmagoria either, because I really don't like anything to do with horror. :( I just can't watch it - even if I know it's a joke, watching more than about 2-3 minutes of it makes me physically ill. (I don't mean throwing up or anything, but I just can't watch it - I have to shut it off, get up and move away. *shrug* Not sure why. Maybe I've got an overactive imagination). ;)
You could probably make it through the first few chapters of the game... But by Chapter 4 or 5 (I can't remember which, where it REALLY begins to take a turn) would have you turning it off... and Chapter 7 (the final one) would probably send you up the wall. :lol:
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Torin's Passage is in the bag. So what's next?

The Adventures of Willy Beamish
The Black Cauldron
The Colonel's Bequest / Dagger of Amon Ra
Conquests of Camelot
Conquests of the Longbow
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gold Rush
Heart of China
Lighthouse
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Torin's Passage

And yes, I've added another one: Gold Rush. I got this off of Steam. I knew it had been released some time ago but I kind of forgot about it. This is the AGI version and not the remake, although looking at the beginning it looks like anything Sierra has been removed. For anyone wondering, the remaining advenute games that I haven't played and are not available are the Ecoquest games and anything from Coktel Vision, though I'm not sure which are adventure and which are not. There's also David Wolf: Secret Agent from Dynamix, but I don't think that is adventure.

Anyway, polls close Wednesday.

Return to “Other Sierra Games”