Oldbie

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by Maiandra »

Welcome, Lounge Lizard and Peter!
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Expack3's Introduction

Post by Expack3 »

Hello, everyone! I'm Expack3 and, due to a distinct lack of an "Introductions" section on the forums, am posting here to introduce myself. Thanks to never having been able to play the great MS-DOS games of the '90s, including Sierra's Quest series of adventure games, I ended up buying the King's Quest and Space Quest collections put out by Vividenvi Universal. Thanks to the excellent installers by Collector, which I chanced upon thanks to a reference from Vividenvi's Adventure Gaming forums while said forums were still on-line, I was able to experience them in a hassle-free way which I hadn't been able to before.

There are several Sierra games which my parents bought for me during that time period which I still own and love to play, which include the SierraOriginals CD-ROM re-release of The Island of Dr. Brain (still haven't gotten that stupid briefcase!), which was the only game I kept from a SierraOriginals bundle I had, such as Hoyle Kids Games and CD-ROM version of the first EcoQuest game, 3-D Ultra Pinball, 3-D Ultra Pinball: The Lost Continent, and 3-D Ultra Minigolf. Heck, as a young kid, I even had Sierra Schoolhouse Math at one point, from which I was able to unlock and play EcoQuest 2 - which, thanks to an "Out-Of-Memory" error, led to some unintentional nightmare fuel for me when the game froze one the screen had faded to black after Mother Tree died and gave Adam her seedling. Combined with Mother Tree's poignant death and the villain's theme playing, it resulted in what can only be described as the WORST. FIVE MINUTES. EVER. :cry:

I've also been able to play the Quest for Glory Anthology - an excellent series of adventure/RPG hybrids, might I add - albeit not in its entirety (I skipped around at bit, and I almost got half-way through the first game as a thief-fighter hybrid), in addition to some of Dynamix's games (other than Space Quest 5), such as The Incredible Machine 2 and EarthSiege. Thanks to GOG.com (awesome site to be affiliated with, by the way!), I've been able to get the Incredible Machine Mega Pack - with my only complaint being that the awesome CD-ROM soundtrack from The Incredible Machine 2/3 is only included as part of The Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions, not to mention that the digital soundtrack to The Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions is not incorporated into the game.

I also like to dabble in converting images and video footage from modern games into the color palates used by older systems, such as the Amiga, Windows 3.x VGA mode, and DOS CGA mode. Here are some examples:

I decided to join the Sierra Help Files forum community after I got fed up of only being able to read the continuing adventures of Collector, DeadPoolX, Tawmis, and the rest of the Sierra Help Files forum community - I wanted to become part of the adventure, and definitely help out using my troubleshooting skills and my experience gained from making many CD-ROM DOS games run just fine without their CDs! (Admittedly, though, I don't think I'll be of much help in terms of CD-free DOS games - Collector definitely has that angle covered already! :) )
dotkel50
Village Elder

Re: Expack3's Introduction

Post by dotkel50 »

Welcome to the asylum. :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Welcome.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Nice to meet you. :)

I think that's the first time I've ever seen my screen name written alongside "the continuing adventures of..."

Nice old graphical conversion of Hard Reset. Never played it, but I've been on the Steam boards and seen TotalBiscuit's review on YouTube. I can't say I recognize the screen shot of the second game. It looks like Wipeout or something similar.

BTW, there actually is an "introductions" area on this board. It's this thread, but it's not easy to find since it's hidden under "Announcements."
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

DeadPoolX wrote:BTW, there actually is an "introductions" area on this board. It's this thread, but it's not easy to find since it's hidden under "Announcements."
I'll let this thread run its course and then merge them.

Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

DeadPoolX wrote: Nice old graphical conversion of Hard Reset. Never played it, but I've been on the Steam boards and seen TotalBiscuit's review on YouTube. I can't say I recognize the screen shot of the second game. It looks like Wipeout or something similar.
The second screenshot is from a game called X: Rebirth which I converted to conform with the Commodore Amiga's 32-color mode, while the video is footage I took is from the PC version of Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box which I converted to conform with the Amiga's 64-color mode and used a whole bunch of effects in Adobe After Effects and Adobe Audition to make it look and sound like an older video game for a YouTube show I hope to eventually create.
DeadPoolX wrote: BTW, there actually is an "introductions" area on this board. It's this thread, but it's not easy to find since it's hidden under "Announcements."
Whoops. Sorry about that. :(
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Welcome Expack3! I'm sure you'll have a great time on this board!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Welcome to the board! :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Welcome to the madness - and the fact you used Burnout makes you Awesome Sauce. :lol:
piesel
Noob

Post by piesel »

Hello,my name is Nicola and i'n an Italian guy that loves old PC games. I discovered this great board and i hope to have a great time with all of you.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Hi Nicola! Welcome to the board!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

piesel wrote:Hello,my name is Nicola and i'n an Italian guy that loves old PC games. I discovered this great board and i hope to have a great time with all of you.
Ah! Welcome to the forums - again. (I actually saw your post of your Sierra games first and welcomed you there, because I didn't recognize the name!) Hang out with us! We're a crazy, chatty, lot - but we love new people and new opinions, new thoughts - all to freshen up the forum!
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Welcome :)
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Welcome.

Return to “Announcements”