The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Talk about anything you want here
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Re: The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Post by JasefWisener »

Tawmis wrote:
JasefWisener wrote:I guess I'm jumping on the bandwagon, and I've started watching Dexter. I'm extremely impressed by the show so far.
Hopefully you began with Season 1?
Yep. I got through the first 5 episodes last night, and I'll probably watch more tonight.

On a sidenote, I love free time in college.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Anyone watching DEXTER this season?
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

We're still waiting for the end of Season 3 from the library. Apparently so is everyone else around here. :?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maia and I just finished the Season 4 of Dexter. The fourth disc, which had the season finale and extra features, simply would NOT play on our DVR. It wouldn't play on our computers -- all three of them -- either until I used Windows Media Center on my laptop. Until I did that, the DVR and all of our computers saw the disc as a "data disc" without any video at all.

Weird, huh? Especially since every other disc of every other season (including the other Season 4 discs) worked just fine.

We were finally able to get it running and to sum up Season 4, I have to first say this: I did NOT need to see John Lithgow's naked body in any capacity. I could've lived a very happy life without seeing ANY part of him.

Having got that out of the way... it seemed like Dexter was acting dumber this season. He was making far too many careless mistakes, which wasn't like him. Yeah, I'm sure Rita and the kids probably had something to do with it, but he had one screw up after another going on.

I'm glad there's a Season 5 (and apparently Showtime has said "yes" to a Season 6), because the ending to Season 4 is bad. I don't mean "bad" as in poor production or anything; I mean "bad" as in: "You've gotta be f*cking kidding me!"

If you haven't already seen Season 4, don't read this spoiler below:

I can't believe they killed off Rita! It's made worse by knowing how she died, considering Trinity's methods of execution. Rita was good for him, despite whatever distractions she may have caused. Having her proved Dexter could, with some effort, be a normal person (or at least as normal as he could ever hope to be).

What I'd like to know now is what does Dexter do with the kids? With the hours his job requires, in addition to killing people, he can't take care of three children.

I hope the kids don't go off to "live with a relative" or something. Earlier in Season 4 they mentioned grandparents (Rita's previous husband's parents) when they'd never done that before. I wonder if that was setting up who to give the kids to after Rita was murdered.

Regardless, with Rita dead and if the kids leave, Dexter's effectively back to Season 1. In fact, he's worse off since in S1 he still had Rita and the kids, although he wasn't anywhere near as attached. Now he'll have no one except Debra and his "dark passenger."
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: I'm glad there's a Season 5 (and apparently Showtime has said "yes" to a Season 6), because the ending to Season 4 is bad. I don't mean "bad" as in poor production or anything; I mean "bad" as in: "You've gotta be f*cking kidding me!"

If you haven't already seen Season 4, don't read this spoiler below:

I can't believe they killed off Rita! It's made worse by knowing how she died, considering Trinity's methods of execution. Rita was good for him, despite whatever distractions she may have caused. Having her proved Dexter could, with some effort, be a normal person (or at least as normal as he could ever hope to be).

What I'd like to know now is what does Dexter do with the kids? With the hours his job requires, in addition to killing people, he can't take care of three children.

I hope the kids don't go off to "live with a relative" or something. Earlier in Season 4 they mentioned grandparents (Rita's previous husband's parents) when they'd never done that before. I wonder if that was setting up who to give the kids to after Rita was murdered.

Regardless, with Rita dead and if the kids leave, Dexter's effectively back to Season 1. In fact, he's worse off since in S1 he still had Rita and the kids, although he wasn't anywhere near as attached. Now he'll have no one except Debra and his "dark passenger."
I will say this...

One of the kids will be seen much more than the other - and causes ... some trouble for Dexter... The BABY that Dexter has with Rita continues throughout the show... Rita's kids - like I said - you will see one of them a bit. You see them all again... but one of them does something to stand out more than the other.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

OH MY GODS...

I had an orgasm.

No, really.

Amazing.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:OH MY GODS...

I had an orgasm.

No, really.

Amazing.
I believe the proper word is: "nerdgasm." :D
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Yes, I had two of them ;)
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

:lol: @ Andrea. I think you mentioned you are a fan of the author, so that must be pretty exciting for you. I hope it feels like a faithful rendition.

Now that I see that video, I recall seeing it on HBO Canada before. At the time, I thought that I'd like to check the show out when it starts and I think I willl. There's not much of interest on TV for me these days and I'm looking forward to something a little less "real".
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I'm sure you'll love it. And if you have the time for a long series of very long, very massive novels, I strongly recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire books. Considering you're a fantasy fan, I have no doubt you'll like them very much ;)
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Yeah, yeah. I'm very behind. I just started Season 3 of Dexter (I'm on the 3rd episode). It's pretty good so far, and I love Jimmy Smitt's role.

Although, I'll admit that I was pretty shocked about Rita being pregnant. Not that it was completely unexpected, though. I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

I haven't read the books but HBO has produced lots of quality shows before, so I expect good things.

Anyone here watching The Good Wife? Its totally out of my comfort zone genre wise but I've fallen hard for it despite this, especially during the second season so far.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

therogue wrote:Anyone here watching The Good Wife? Its totally out of my comfort zone genre wise but I've fallen hard for it despite this, especially during the second season so far.
I keep hearing how good it is, but it's not my genre either, so I never watched.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

AndreaDraco wrote:
therogue wrote:Anyone here watching The Good Wife? Its totally out of my comfort zone genre wise but I've fallen hard for it despite this, especially during the second season so far.
I keep hearing how good it is, but it's not my genre either, so I never watched.
In my opinion The Good Wife has some of the best writing for female characters. The show isn't perfect but then again what is. Still, the characters of Alicia, Kalinda and Diana are magnificent. I'm also very fond of Alan Cumming as Eli Gold in the second season.

Another show which I'm particularly fond of and which is also way out of my comfort zone genre wise: SouthLand.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

My wife watches it and loves it.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”