Steam and GOG sales

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Steam and GOG sales

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thanks, NBH. :) I've enjoyed Noir ever since I played Grim Fandango, back in the 90s. Then I got into it in a major way, and started reading Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. They're both damn amazing.

So, I'm tossing up between Blacksad (serious noir) and Chicken Police (cheeky noir). Hmm ... ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

So GOG is having another sale, and someone has penned a game about the USA in the 1960s.

I think it sounds interesting. :) About 4 people panned this because it's supposedly "BLM" by showing how white people back then were racist, how some were members of the KKK, how (some) priests molested children, how white mothers adopted black children (or were in interracial relationships), etc. To all that, I say: rubbish! Read some history books - ALL those things happened in the 1960s. Some white people were racist/in the KKK, some priests molested kids, etc. The emphasis is on the word some. You don't have to be open-minded to accept that. The world was different in the 60s.

What's your take on this? I'm curious. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 am So GOG is having another sale, and someone has penned a game about the USA in the 1960s.

I think it sounds interesting. :) About 4 people panned this because it's supposedly "BLM" by showing how white people back then were racist, how some were members of the KKK, how (some) priests molested children, how white mothers adopted black children (or were in interracial relationships), etc. To all that, I say: rubbish! Read some history books - ALL those things happened in the 1960s. Some white people were racist/in the KKK, some priests molested kids, etc. The emphasis is on the word some. You don't have to be open-minded to accept that. The world was different in the 60s.

What's your take on this? I'm curious. ;)
Having not played the game, I can only say, yes the world was like that before (and still is today).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well ... GOG is having their annual Summer Sale, and I have my eye on Kingdom Come: Deliverance (which is on special). It seems like a historical RPG with a big, long story and some nice characters too. ;)

Has anyone played this game? What did you think? :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:12 am Well ... GOG is having their annual Summer Sale, and I have my eye on Kingdom Come: Deliverance (which is on special). It seems like a historical RPG with a big, long story and some nice characters too. ;)

I've not played.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:12 am Well ... GOG is having their annual Summer Sale, and I have my eye on Kingdom Come: Deliverance (which is on special). It seems like a historical RPG with a big, long story and some nice characters too. ;)

I don't think you'll like it.

Here's why:

1. It has a very difficult and cumbersome fighting system that relies heavily on timing and direction.

This means you have to be extremely quick and accurate in your timing to hit someone. If you simply mash the mouse button, you'll break your chain of attack and your opponent will be able to block or parry your attack. In addition, you'll need to aim and direct your weapon hits in order to hit individual areas on the enemy as the game considers where you're hitting and what sort of armor (if any) they have on.

Also, your character has to train and get good at fighting. In the beginning, he'll suck no matter how good or bad YOU are at the game itself, so while that's perhaps more realistic, it's also a real pain in the butt. Sure, that sounds like Skyrim's "do stuff to get good at it" game mechanic, but it's a lot more troublesome in KC:D.

2. Your clothing, armor, and weapons all break down. Yeah, you need to monitor what condition everything is in and you need to get those items repaired or replaced. I've always found this particular game mechanic annoying, but some people really like it.

3. You have to sleep, eat, drink, and wash.

Yes, you read that correctly, you need to wash as you'll get dirty and smelly over time and people will react poorly to this. Poor hygiene also contributes to your chances of catching a disease in the game. You also need to wash your clothing.

Additionally, if you don't sleep, you'll get tired and have worse reaction times, and if you don't eat and drink enough you'll get weak, but eat and drink too much and you'll get slow and sluggish.

Don't try to hoard food, though. All food slowly rots over time and you can get food poisoning (which drains your health and stamina until it wears off) if you take your chances and eat something that might not be fresh.

4. KC:D has a very weird save system where you need to drink a potion (that you can buy or craft) in order to save your game. So long as you have these potions, you can save, but if you don't have any you'll have to rely on relatively infrequent autosaves. Each potion counts against your weight limit, however, so people generally don't carry too many items, including potions, as all of their armor and weapons usually take up the bulk of their weight allowance.

5. You generally seem wary of large downloads, and according to the store page for KC:D on GOG, this game is around 50 GB to download (but likely somewhere between 70 GB and 90 GB fully installed since downloads are usually compressed). Regardless, you've been against downloading games much, much smaller before, so whether or not you're worried about data caps or download speeds, just know that this game is likely a lot larger than most games you've downloaded.
Last edited by DeadPoolX on Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... the fighting system sounds similar to Witcher 2, which I didn't like either. Yes, I died a lot in Witcher 2.

Clothing/armour/etc. breaking down is similar to Oblivion, which I liked in spite of that.

Sleeping/eating/drinking/washing is fine. No, really. ;) I've tried some similar mods in Skyrim, because it struck me as unrealistic how the Dragonborn can do anything he wants and never get tired, hungry, thirsty or dirty. ;)

The save system sounds a little odd, but I guess it's something I can live with.

Is that all there is to it, then? :| How easy is it to find somewhere to sleep, something to eat/drink, somewhere to wash? As for the fighting system ... how easy is it to learn? I understand my character will need to train and get good at fighting. That's fine; I don't expect him to be a fantastic warrior from the start, or it will be too easy. ;) Training to become a better fighter etc. is part of every RPG. Is there some kind of stat screen where I can track how well my character is doing (e.g. "Sword" skill at 20 or 50 or 100, etc.)?

Thanks! :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

The combat system is NOTHING like The Witcher 2, where it was fairly easy to fight. In comparison, KC:D is a real chore, not the least of which is because melee combat is awkward in first-person view and as far as I can recall, you can't do third-person view which I generally find easier for melee.

That said... I'd suggest looking at some reviews of KC:D on YouTube. Most of these will be about four years old or so, which means the game has probably received some patches, updates, and DLC since those reviews. However, four year-old reviews are better than no reviews, and you might even come across a few more recent reviews as well.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK. I've read an IGN review online, and looked at IGN's review on YouTube (plus a few minutes of gameplay). I'm sure it will be different if/once I start playing.

How hard/easy is it to find somewhere to sleep, or something to eat/drink? I saw that my character can wash in a horse trough, but I presume the results are not that great. ;) Can he wash with soap somewhere?

Also, is there some kind of stat screen where I can track how well my character is doing (e.g. "Sword" skill at 20 or 50 or 100, etc.)?

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:31 pm OK. I've read an IGN review online, and looked at IGN's review on YouTube (plus a few minutes of gameplay). I'm sure it will be different if/once I start playing.

How hard/easy is it to find somewhere to sleep, or something to eat/drink? I saw that my character can wash in a horse trough, but I presume the results are not that great. ;) Can he wash with soap somewhere?

Also, is there some kind of stat screen where I can track how well my character is doing (e.g. "Sword" skill at 20 or 50 or 100, etc.)?

Look at gameplay footage or reviews from YouTubers, not just IGN. I'd recommend ACG for an in-depth review (his review is over 18 minutes whereas IGN's review was about five minutes) and SplatterCatGaming for actual gameplay.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Yes, ACG's review is very in-depth; he mentions that this game is buggy, but since he created that review about 4 years, I presume the bugs have been ironed out by now. (He mentioned also that the developers of this game are very meticulous about bugs, so that's good). :)

So I think I might grab this game and see how I go. Thanks, DPX! :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I picked up a few games... no idea when I will play them...

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition
Dark Fall: The Journal
realMyst: Masterpiece Edition
Vikings - Wolves of Midgard
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

By the way, I also noticed a game called Divinity: Original Sin. Has anyone played this? Does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks again. ;)

In the meantime, I'll put Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on my list ... haven't played it in a long time. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:24 pm By the way, I also noticed a game called Divinity: Original Sin. Has anyone played this? Does anyone have an opinion?
I've mentioned Divinity: Original Sin (both 1 and 2) many times on here, including some threads where you, Tawmis, and I have been discussing RPGs.

As for D:OS, I'd recommend both that game and its sequel. The first game has a lot more player freedom and creative player input, but the second definitely has a better story, characters, and many gameplay mechanics have been improved (or new and better ones created).

Look up information about both games online, such as written reviews or better yet, YouTube videos. You'll find a ton of information and gameplay footage that'll help a lot more than anything anyone could say here.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:34 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:24 pm By the way, I also noticed a game called Divinity: Original Sin. Has anyone played this? Does anyone have an opinion?
I've mentioned Divinity: Original Sin (both 1 and 2) many times on here, including some threads where you, Tawmis, and I have been discussing RPGs.
Just few times here and there on the forums.

To be fair, I can barely remember a week ago... :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”