McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Post by Tawmis »

While many still speculate on who should play the titular character in "Wonder Woman", an interesting tidbit about possible movie director for the film comes forth. Sparking rumors on the subject, IESB has mentioned that Warner Bros. want "Terminator Salvation" helmer McG to direct the superheroine feature project.

Though bringing up the 40-year-old's name to the speculation plate, IESB noted that it is still unclear whether the film director has been signed or he is one of the potential candidates or even he is campaigning for the role. In addition, the studio have yet to send out any confirmation or denial regarding this rumor.

On the latest casting news, R 'n' B star Beyonce Knowles has spoken out about her hope of becoming the first African-American Wonder Woman to Los Angeles Times. "I want to do a superhero movie and what would be better than Wonder Woman? It would be great," she said in an interview posted on November 7. "And it would be a very bold choice. A black Wonder Woman would be a powerful thing. It's time for that, right?"

Though not much can be discussed on the future of the on-again off-again feature project, "Wonder Woman" is eying a 2009 release and will be produced by Joel Silver and Leonard Goldberg. Previously, writer/director Joss Whedon is attached to the project, but in early 2007, he suddenly gave up his position as both writer and director of the movie.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Re: McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Post by Datadog »

"And it would be a very bold choice. A black Wonder Woman would be a powerful thing. It's time for that, right?"
No, Beyonce. Considering that they haven't even made a good movie using the original white Wonder Woman yet, and considering the backlash for such movies as "Catwoman" and "The Last Airbender," it would not be a good time to continue experimenting with color-blind casting decisions.

Thank god that part is only rumor and speculation.

As for McG, I'm okay with McG. He's not the greatest director, but he delivers on action. As long as he's not writing the script.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:
"And it would be a very bold choice. A black Wonder Woman would be a powerful thing. It's time for that, right?"
No, Beyonce. Considering that they haven't even made a good movie using the original white Wonder Woman yet, and considering the backlash for such movies as "Catwoman" and "The Last Airbender," it would not be a good time to continue experimenting with color-blind casting decisions.
Thank god that part is only rumor and speculation.
As for McG, I'm okay with McG. He's not the greatest director, but he delivers on action. As long as he's not writing the script.
Well, it's not always bad (the experimenting with "color-blind" casting decissions). Kingpin in the Daredevil movie isn't black in the comics. But he was in the movie. GRANTED, Daredevil wasn't THAT great of a movie to begin with - so it was probably easily overlooked, but I thought he made a good Kingpin.

And then you have things like THE ULTIMATEs within MARVEL where they change things - and for example - and as it is in the movies - they made NICK FURY, who in classic comics for 40 years was WHITE - they went with the Ultimates version for the movie and made him black (and Samuel Jackson no less, who can take a long walk off a short cliff in terms of acting in my eyes).
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

You know...I think Wonder Woman is cool, but considering that the superhero movie market is getting way oversaturated, I'd rather they didn't do it. They'd probably screw it up by just picking some eye-candy with no acting ability.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The reason I'd LIKE them to do Wonder Woman is because she's such an iconic FEMALE character... We haven't really seen any strong female characters in the super hero comic area - so I'd like to see one done right - and preferably this one.

Considering McG had a strong hand in SUPERNATURAL (one of my favorite shows) and also had a hand in the episode of HUMAN TARGET that centered on Guerro (sp?) that was utterly excellent - my faith in him doing WONDER WOMAN right is pretty high.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Make WW black? Why is it when African Americans get involved it's always some racial issue? Maybe that makes me sound bad, but I'm sick of how racially motivated things are in the US. :roll:
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:Make WW black? Why is it when African Americans get involved it's always some racial issue? Maybe that makes me sound bad, but I'm sick of how racially motivated things are in the US. :roll:
I don't see why they don't just make her an Amazon as she's supposed to be. :D
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Tawmis wrote:The reason I'd LIKE them to do Wonder Woman is because she's such an iconic FEMALE character... We haven't really seen any strong female characters in the super hero comic area - so I'd like to see one done right - and preferably this one.
Oh, I agree. If it's done right.

I'd love to see a female superhero movie, but I don't really trust them to do it right, given the current climate. If they could, that would be great, but it hinges on more than one person. The actress, the producer(s), the director, and the writer(s) could all make or break it.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Tawmis wrote:Well, it's not always bad (the experimenting with "color-blind" casting decissions). Kingpin in the Daredevil movie isn't black in the comics. But he was in the movie. GRANTED, Daredevil wasn't THAT great of a movie to begin with - so it was probably easily overlooked, but I thought he made a good Kingpin.
I'll agree there's some been good decisions. I did think Kingpin was the only well-cast character in all of Daredevil, and I really liked Mos Def as Ford Prefect in "Hitchhiker's Guide." For the more iconic characters, however, I still find audiences will over-react to even the smallest changes, and that's not even taking race into account. Just look at "Batman & Robin," - over a decade later, and people are still freaking out over the bat-nipples. :lol:

It's just a rumor anyway - and one that Beyonce started nonetheless. Much like that time Jack Black was going play Green Lantern, it probably won't pan out.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/nbc-pic ... ngs-drama/

I'm pretty sure the movie version is as dead as can be considering NBC picked up a pilot for Wonder Woman after all. My expectations though for it are as low as can be.

I don't read the Wonder Woman comics but isn't she supposed to be an Amazon/modeled on Ancient Greece? in which case she should be far less N/W European looking than she's generally depicted.

Honestly, so much of her story would have to be reworked for any kind of modern version be it on the small screen or the big one. For one, the star spangled knickers have got to go. I mean seriously. Also, any serious effort would have to have some sort of scope beyond the American market. The Captain America movie for one is likely going to have to do some creative marketing in overseas markets.

Also, I think its freaking terrible that people get so worked up about casting like Idris Elba in Thor or Mos Def in HHGTTG when so many characters originally depicted as not white are cast with white actors barely raises an eyebrow. I mean seriously, the cast of that awful Airbender movie was almost exclusively white, excepting the villains. I liked the Prince of Persia movie for the schlock it was but all the Persians were played by white actors and for some reason all spoke with a british accent.

Personally, I love me some comic book movies but by god, is the treatment of female characters in them almost exclusively attrocious. Not to mention how women are drawn and treated in the actual comics. Nah, I'll take Yoko Tsuno instead please.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I was about to past the same thing, about NBC and the picked up show.

Considering how usually fare superhero TV shows, I fear this project ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

therogue wrote:I don't read the Wonder Woman comics but isn't she supposed to be an Amazon/modeled on Ancient Greece? in which case she should be far less N/W European looking than she's generally depicted.

Her Greek background has been expanded on over time. Granted, it's not exactly authentic, but she's in a world where superheroes exist. Editing the Greek gods is probably fairly being when it comes to realism.
therogue wrote:Honestly, so much of her story would have to be reworked for any kind of modern version be it on the small screen or the big one. For one, the star spangled knickers have got to go. I mean seriously. Also, any serious effort would have to have some sort of scope beyond the American market. The Captain America movie for one is likely going to have to do some creative marketing in overseas markets.

The problem is she was created in 1941, when the US entered WW2. Most heroes back then were US-centric, if no other reason the majority originated in America. So it's completely understandable that her costume would reflect the times.

However, her costume IS a little out of place today, especially when you consider her origin story. Unfortunately, it's iconic and can't really be changed. Minor changes here and there perhaps, but nothing big. Redoing her entire costume wouldn't only piss off fans, but make her more difficult to recognize.

It's like when DC (temporarily) changed Superman and Batman's outfits. There was a huge outcry and their outfits were changed back. Like Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman are iconic figures, all of which include their costumes.

DC Comics has changed her outfit over the years. Most of the early changes were relatively minor (like removing her skirt), but other outlandish costumes have been tried. More recently, DC once again tried changing her costume. After using that outfit for a little while, she changed back to her normal outfit.

I'm not against some MINOR changes to Wonder Woman's costume. I'm emphasizing the "minor" part because she still has to in some way resemble Wonder Woman as the world knows her.

As for Captain America... there some very minor changes occurring, but that's about it. You can't really get rid of the "Go America!" theme -- after all, he's Captain America, not Captain World or Captain Global or Captain UN (or some other nonsense).

Not to be outdone, the UK (Captain Britain) and Canada (Captain Canada) created their own versions years ago. Both seem just as silly as Captain America. I know Captain Britain still exists, but I have no idea about Captain Canada.

Funny tidbit: there was one female Captain Britain who referred to Captain America as "Captain United States." She changed her codename to "Lionheart" after the original Captain Britain returned.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

DeadPoolX wrote: The problem is she was created in 1941, when the US entered WW2. Most heroes back then were US-centric, if no other reason the majority originated in America. So it's completely understandable that her costume would reflect the times.

However, her costume IS a little out of place today, especially when you consider her origin story. Unfortunately, it's iconic and can't really be changed. Minor changes here and there perhaps, but nothing big. Redoing her entire costume wouldn't only piss off fans, but make her more difficult to recognize.
See that's what I don't get. As far I know, lets say X-Men most of their costumes are considered iconic. In comics its fine that for example Wolverine runs around in yellow spandex but in a movie thats just going to look silly unless the movie is really going for the camp factor. Why is it acceptable that the X-Men run around in more real world costumes in the movie, but giving a real world version costume with some freaking trousers to Wonder Woman so she wouldn't have her arse hanging out there is unacceptable? :?
I mean, if they go camp with it, have her run around in a pair of sparkly knickers but if its a more serious approach (tv/movie wise) just no. Superman isn't out there hanging out in a pair of shiny hotpants either.

I don't read (US) comics so I'll gladly take you word regarding the costumes. I'm just talking about movies/tv where the intended market normally is wider than the comic book fans.
DeadPoolX wrote: As for Captain America... there some very minor changes occurring, but that's about it. You can't really get rid of the "Go America!" theme -- after all, he's Captain America, not Captain World or Captain Global or Captain UN (or some other nonsense).

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/114/1145579p1.html

What I meant is that in the overseas marketing the 'Go America' theme is being played down a lot more than in the domestic marketing for the movie. Not surprising as a big budget movie will have to do business in these overseas markets. Also, the brand of Captain America is not well known in numerous markets. For at least 3 international markets the title will be shortened to First Avenger.

Another superhero example. The Green Hornet movie, around here wasn't so much marketed as a superhero movie with Seth Rogen in the lead, but more as a martial arts movie with superhero elements with Jay Chou as the lead. Every single commercial I've seen for it, and they marketed the hell out of it for a while, focussed on Jay Chou and barely mentioned Rogen or Diaz. Hell, I didn't know Diaz was in it until I read a review for it.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

therogue wrote:See that's what I don't get. As far I know, lets say X-Men most of their costumes are considered iconic. In comics its fine that for example Wolverine runs around in yellow spandex but in a movie thats just going to look silly unless the movie is really going for the camp factor.
I think the major difference here is that the X-Men were created as a team. Many older superheroes -- like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman -- were created to be self-contained individual heroes.

The Justice League of America was formed later on when each hero already have their own look. The X-Men didn't do this -- the team was formed first and then the characters took on different costumes from time to time.

If you showed the average person the X-Men symbol (before the movies were released), they'd say it's just an "X" and wouldn't know anything beyond that. However, show someone Superman's, Batman's and Wonder Woman's emblems and you'll see immediate recognition.

I think Marvel superheroes tend to change their outfits more often than their DC counterparts. Iron Man, for instance, changes his armor every couple of years or so. The explanation used is that he upgrades or changes based upon need and technology. It's also a good excuse for artists to design new and different armors. :D
therogue wrote:Why is it acceptable that the X-Men run around in more real world costumes in the movie, but giving a real world version costume with some freaking trousers to Wonder Woman so she wouldn't have her arse hanging out there is unacceptable? :?
Like I said above, the X-Men can get away with that because their outfits aren't internationally known. Even if you've NEVER read a single Superman comic, you'd still recognize him. Why? His outfit. Without that he looks like any other comic book superhero.
therogue wrote:Superman isn't out there hanging out in a pair of shiny hotpants either.

No, but he does wear skin-tight spandex with red underwear (or whatever that is) on the outside of his costume. Does he show some skin? No, but his outfit looks just as stupid. :P
therogue wrote:I don't read (US) comics so I'll gladly take you word regarding the costumes. I'm just talking about movies/tv where the intended market normally is wider than the comic book fans.

Very true. However, the first people to purchase movie tickets will be the fans. The fans will also be the most critical, but that's normal. When you know something before it's turned into a movie, you'll pick apart every detail.
therogue wrote:What I meant is that in the overseas marketing the 'Go America' theme is being played down a lot more than in the domestic marketing for the movie. Not surprising as a big budget movie will have to do business in these overseas markets. Also, the brand of Captain America is not well known in numerous markets. For at least 3 international markets the title will be shortened to First Avenger.
I read that the name was changed in Russia, South Korea and the Ukraine. I'd be surprised if China doesn't jump on that bandwagon too.

Regardless, The First Avenger sounds pretty good to me. All you need is a picture of Captain America to realize who the movie is about. Unless they remove the photo too, in which case I have to ask: "why even show the movie if you're that much against it?"
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:
therogue wrote:See that's what I don't get. As far I know, lets say X-Men most of their costumes are considered iconic. In comics its fine that for example Wolverine runs around in yellow spandex but in a movie thats just going to look silly unless the movie is really going for the camp factor.
I think the major difference here is that the X-Men were created as a team. Many older superheroes -- like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman -- were created to be self-contained individual heroes.
Ironically, such is not the case with WOLVERINE. Wolverine was created before he ever became an X-MEN, appearing in the pages of THE INCREDIBLE HULK #180 (or 181 for his FULL appearance - 1974) before GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 (1975), where he joined the X-MEN.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”