New Easter egg found?

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Rudy
Village Elder

New Easter egg found?

Post by Rudy »

I'm currently upgrading the Police Quest 1 (AGI) in the Chest, adding screenshots, music and also Easter Eggs. When I stopped the drunk driver, I noticed something:

The picture looks a bit like Al Lowe. It also mentions "programmer" and Al was a programmer for PQ1. The birthday doesn't match though. Anyway, could this be an Easter egg referring to Al, or am i completely wrong about it?

Also, it says in the Easter eggs here at Sierrahelp that sometimes Sonny pulls over the speeding car in front of Lefty's Bar. I think that may not be correct. I pulled her over several times, hoping to end up in front of Lefty's and it did not occur. I did end up several times in front of Larry's Disco though (and that works for all drivers Sonny pulls over).

Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: New Easter egg found?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Don't worry, Rudy - I've noticed that too. ;) Art's license plate is PRGRMR1. Here's what the Police Quest Omnipedia (http://policequest.wikia.com/wiki/Art_Serabian) has to say:

" * Art Serabian does not appear in Police Quest 1 VGA; William J. Barnum appears instead.
* Art Serabian also appears in Leisure Suit Larry 6, and he is mistaken for Al Lowe; in reality, Art is Lowe's mentor, and according to Lowe Art looks more like "Ralph Roberts" than Lowe."

Hope this clears things up! :)

As for the background for Larry's disco and stopping the speeding car in front of that same background - you're right, I never noticed that! Nice catch. :D
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I dunno... it seems like a stretch, especially with the name. Unless there was a programmer by that name working at Sierra at the time the game was made.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Al's mentor? When he was learning music or something? Let's ask Al :)
cpages2
Sierra Obsessed

Post by cpages2 »

I think you guys are reading to much into this. Guy looks like Al, hes a programmer, you pull him over in front of the LSL disco...

Its a joke on Al Lowe.....
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

I've always thought that was Al Lowe myself. I never checked the birthdate though to check, just figured it. Let's just say it's Al ;)
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

QuestCollector wrote:Let's just say it's Al ;)
Assumptions are the way to the Dark Side, young Padawan :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rudy wrote:Al's mentor? When he was learning music or something? Let's ask Al :)
Art was Al Lowe's programming mentor. (I thought it was somewhere on my site where Al Lowe mentioned it...)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Emailed Al Lowe for verification. :)
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Tawmis wrote:Emailed Al Lowe for verification. :)
Beat you to it :P .

Al's reply: "When I first started programming, my mentor was a friend and co-worker who coincidentally looked a lot like me, Art. So whenever I was stuck for a game character's name, I enjoyed giving a little tribute to a man who meant so much to me and gave of his time so freely. "
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rudy wrote:
Tawmis wrote:Emailed Al Lowe for verification. :)
Beat you to it :P .
Al's reply: "When I first started programming, my mentor was a friend and co-worker who coincidentally looked a lot like me, Art. So whenever I was stuck for a game character's name, I enjoyed giving a little tribute to a man who meant so much to me and gave of his time so freely. "
Awesome. He mentioned it somewhere. For the life of me I can't find it. Thought it was on his site somewhere. I thought I had put it somewhere on my site too, because I thought that was a fun tidbit - but couldn't find it on either one.

But I remembered it was his programming mentor. I just couldn't remember where I had seen it.

Return to “The Police Quest Series”