News of Day

Talk about anything you want here
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

News of Day

Post by AndreaDraco »

I figured it out it might be interesting to have a place where to post the news of the day, the ones that interest or amuse us whatever the reason.

I really want to start with an

Hurray

for Barack Obama! I'm so happy he won! I sincerely hope that a lot of things will change, world-wide, as a reflexion of his victory, particularly here in Italy, where we all looked with great interest (we have a lot of political connections with USA) the election marathon the other night!

My best wishes to the 44th President of USA!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: News of Day

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:I figured it out it might be interesting to have a place where to post the news of the day, the ones that interest or amuse us whatever the reason.

I really want to start with an

Hurray

for Barack Obama! I'm so happy he won! I sincerely hope that a lot of things will change, world-wide, as a reflexion of his victory, particularly here in Italy, where we all looked with great interest (we have a lot of political connections with USA) the election marathon the other night!

My best wishes to the 44th President of USA!
I'm not particularly happy about Obama becoming president. Unfortunately, the outcome was practically assured.

To be honest, I didn't like McCain much either. Neither of the presidential candidates really suited me.

For those of you who aren't American or from the U. S., there's something to remember here -- the job of President of the United States is not to please foreign nations. If that can happen, that's great. However, the primary job of POTUS is to satisfy the American people (to the best of his ability, anyway). All foreign pursuits are considered secondary.

What I'm getting at here is I wouldn't throw a celebration quite yet. Politicians are notorious for saying one thing and doing another. Simply because Obama promised "this and that" during his campaign, it shouldn't be automatically assumed that he'll follow through.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Certainly true, still the us elections also tend to affect us outside of the us far more then say the European Parliament elections next year. Its not strange that the rest of the world is so invested.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Exactly, therogue.

The American President is a valuable piece on the world's political chessboard, and it's only fair that people outside America look at this election as a pivotal moment in our recent history.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I live in Canada and just about everything that happens to the US seems to affect us in some way. Their economy crashes, ours starts crashing. They go to war, we send troops. They get attacked, we need to spend months getting passports just to cross the border. Their president is a doofus, and we end up hearing nothing but Bush jokes for eight years.

I'm really glad Obama got in. He's such a great public speaker, and I get this vibe from him that most of what he's spewing isn't BS - mostly because he's always straight-to-the-point and doesn't dance around questions. I find him genuinely interesting to listen to. Unless he really is all talk, he'll be a hard president to make fun of.
Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

Most of the time, I vote for the least reprehensible candidate for political offices...which is a sad way of viewing our right to vote, to be honest. I won't deny that was partially the way I voted this time, but there was more to my choice as well.

The deep unease I feel locally, nationally and globally had a lot to do with my selection of a presidential candidate this time around. I am a confirmed cynic, but I cannot avoid the hope Mr. Obama brings to my eyes. But last night's election results weren't punctuated by cheers or by tears on my part -- they were more along the lines of "I hope that change can occur this time around." Added in with that, a realization that regardless of whether he manages to accomplish even a tenth of what he hopes to do -- or what I hope he can do -- that it could NOT get much worse, and it might have gotten much worse under McCain's leadership.
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

We have a new face and speaker for America - an outer shell. We have yet to see a core. We have yet to see his plans being executed and actually showing us his words he has been proclaiming.

I am most perturbed about the entire process. It is a game, a circus. Manipulation has run amok for interests of a certain few.

I am waiting for the day when the media will not choose our next president. I am waiting for the day candidates do not need to be relatively wealthy and raise millions to campaign. I am waiting for the day when America picks up a history book or at least some kind of non-biased source of information and educate themselves before making any decision whatsoever.

Even though I do not agree with Obama’s policies, I have faith that he will strive to do good. It is Washington that worries me. It is set up for a reason that it is not to be changed. No matter who is elected, never doubt that manipulation, lies, lobbying, earmarks, and deep persuasion will arise.
misslilo
Caffeine Queen

Post by misslilo »

And to think, it will only get worse as time goes by! That's just how life is for you...
Unless of course - someone invents a machine or pill or something, that fixes people to always do right!
"You cannot escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova
Twitter/Steam/Twitch: @wowdane
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Jules wrote:I am waiting for the day when America picks up a history book or at least some kind of non-biased source of information and educate themselves before making any decision whatsoever.
That's why I think parties should stop using terms like "Republican" and "Democrat." Many voters are conditioned to vote for the same party over and over again, no matter who's in the race. If the parties were assigned random colors and randomly generated names each election (i.e. "Pizza Hat" vs "Taco Pants,") people would be forced to educate themselves before casting their vote.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

therogue wrote:Certainly true, still the us elections also tend to affect us outside of the us far more then say the European Parliament elections next year. Its not strange that the rest of the world is so invested.
I agree. It's not strange. However, I believe it's premature -- and just a bit naive -- to assume that Obama is the cure to all of life's many problems. He hasn't been in office one day yet and before this, he was a junior senator (whom most had never even heard of).

Maybe he'll do exactly what he says. I'd be surprised, though, considering politicians are masters at fooling the public, both domestic and abroad.
AndreaDraco wrote:Exactly, therogue. The American President is a valuable piece on the world's political chessboard, and it's only fair that people outside America look at this election as a pivotal moment in our recent history.
Okay... I can see why you'd be happy -- Obama seems like he'd be more likely to think internationally than McCain -- but "a pivotal moment in our recent history?" That's a little over-the-top, don't you think? The election of a new U.S. president is in no way a defining moment. It's simply an election.

Datadog wrote:I'm really glad Obama got in. He's such a great public speaker, and I get this vibe from him that most of what he's spewing isn't BS - mostly because he's always straight-to-the-point and doesn't dance around questions. I find him genuinely interesting to listen to. Unless he really is all talk, he'll be a hard president to make fun of.
That has to be the one thing I truly hate about so many Obama supporters. They like him simply because he "can speak well." Excuse me for saying so, but that has to be one of the dumbest reasons to elect a leader.

Someone's ability to speak well in front of a crowd does not make them a good president. Many entertainers are fantastic at publicly speaking, but very few of them would be remotely qualified to be president. In fact, I've met tons of people who've been poor at public speaking and yet, are incredibly intelligent. Whether or not they're qualified is anyone's guess, but the point is that someone's speaking ability is not tied in with intellect (such as many have assumed with Bush and Obama).

As far as Obama not "spewing BS," that remains to be seen. Like I said above, he hasn't been in office a single day. All politicians lie, especially if it gets them power. Even when politicians want to do something, it's not entirely up to them. It depends on their constituents, other members in their party, the opposing party and overall situation. The U.S. president is no different, since anything he does must run through both chambers in Congress and be approved by the Supreme Court (which can deny the Executive and Legislative branches from taking any action).

While the president is a Democrat, in addition to both the Senate and House of Representatives being mostly Democrat (meaning there might be less opposition in the way of Obama), a couple of justices on the Supreme Court were last approved and appointed by Bush. All Supreme Court justices are there for life or until they retire. That makes a new appointment by a president very important, since at the moment, the Supreme Court is far more conservative and staffed with more Republicans than Democrats.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Okay... I can see why you'd be happy -- Obama seems like he'd be more likely to think internationally than McCain -- but "a pivotal moment in our recent history?" That's a little over-the-top, don't you think? The election of a new U.S. president is in no way a defining moment. It's simply an election.
Offcourse it is, a lot of it is media, the way things are spun. However, especially in this tiny corner of Europe it is felt that a lot of the issues facing our countries stem from American policies, our economies tend to stand or fall following the US economy. Some of the EU countries have been drawn into, to put it politically, military conflicts that have never been popular. Heck, especially if you have a PM like ours (or the EU for that matter) who generally asks how high, when the US says jump.

Heh, the man has just been appointed to the hardest job in the world, with the whole world watching and insanely high expectations. I certainly hope, at least some of the problems can be solved or lessened.

In other global politics news, Russia seems to be devolving back in the USSR. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7710362.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6717927.stm
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

DeadPoolX wrote: Okay... I can see why you'd be happy -- Obama seems like he'd be more likely to think internationally than McCain -- but "a pivotal moment in our recent history?" That's a little over-the-top, don't you think? The election of a new U.S. president is in no way a defining moment. It's simply an election.
Considering that my current Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, was a close friend of George W. Bush and that we Italians have soldiers in Iraq to support Bush's war (and believe me: public opinion is so not happy about it), I think that a "change of course" - given that this supposed change indeed there will be - is really a pivotal moment, since many things were promised to be changed: if this change really occurs, than Obama's victory will be a considerable turn of the tide.

I agree with the Rogue. When USA asks to jump many of our prime ministers outdone themselves to be the first ones in line to jump. And Silvio Berlusconi has just bought a trampoline. So I guess that I just hope that these kind of things are going to change, for the best.

Also, DPX, I disagree with you when you say that oratory is the stupidest reason to support a leader. I'm not American and when I heard some of Obama speeches I had goosebumps - oratory isn't all, and surely the media add a great deal, but oratory should be a device used to convince people of an intent, and Obama - should I be proved right or wrong - convinced me to support him, even if I live in a different country (thus, I'm less exposed to media manipulation): he convinced me for the things he said and for the ways he says them.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I find it interesting that both of you claim that EU leaders do practically whatever the U.S. wants. I find that hard to believe. More often than not, many nations tell the U.S. to "screw off" when we want something done. It's quite frustrating.

However, I can see why other nations wouldn't do what the U.S. asks at times. A leader of whatever country has an obligation to that country and the people -- not to please foreign interests. The same is true of the U.S. The well being of the United States and Americans should, first and foremost, be the most important subject for the President of the United States.

As for speaking ability, I understand that getting your point across is beneficial to politicians. Having a "silver tongue" is often a good attribute for anyone in government, especially a leader. However, being able to speak well does not, in of itself, qualify anyone to become their country's president or prime minister or whatever. There are many more factors -- most of which are of far greater importance -- than whether or not a country's leader can speak eloquently. Anyone who thinks differently is merely getting caught up in the rhetoric being spoken and fails to see beyond the words at any press conference.

I don't trust any politician. They lie and scam their way into power. Knowing this, I never take anything said by a politician at face value. More often than not, there's a hidden agenda behind what's being done.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

DeadPoolX wrote:I find it interesting that both of you claim that EU leaders do practically whatever the U.S. wants. I find that hard to believe. More often than not, many nations tell the U.S. to "screw off" when we want something done. It's quite frustrating.
Are you serious? Because I can think at least of one person - the same, old, bald Silvio Berlusconi - who would have done anything Bush would have asked him to do. Bush said Italy should support America in Iraqi War, and we sent soldiers, despite quite all the popular opinion being against this resolution.
DeadPoolX wrote:There are many more factors -- most of which are of far greater importance -- than whether or not a country's leader can speak eloquently.
You are totally right. I was only stating that a good oratory is a quality nonetheless, and even an important one. Obviously it can't be all smoke, there must be a good piece of roasted meat beneath.
DeadPoolX wrote:I don't trust any politician. They lie and scam their way into power. Knowing this, I never take anything said by a politician at face value. More often than not, there's a hidden agenda behind what's being done.
Maybe you're right. I just hope you're not. ;)
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

See the thing about change is that pretty much anyone could run for president, say the same things, and it will be so much better than what Bush did. Pretty much ANY candidate running would do a better job than he did. Being a great speaker is one good quality but actually executing the plans the best way possible is something totally different.

He may use his tongue to get his way and to put his plans into action but are his plans the best way possible? What DPX is trying to say, and so am I, is that we’re so fed up with our politicians that we have become so skeptical when one has a silver tongue. It is absolutely frustrating. We’ve been lied to so many times and if a good guy comes along, we’ll assume he’s fake as well. See how frustrating it is?

If he does change America for the better, then more power to him. That’s excellent. But for now, we’re not going to give praise until we actually see and experience it.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”