Legend of Grimrock

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Legend of Grimrock

Post by Tawmis »

Anyone else playing Legend of Grimrock?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by DeadPoolX »

No, but I've seen it for sale on GOG and Steam. TotalBiscuit also did a "WTF is..." review of LoG as well.

It looks sort of interesting. The whole "dungeon crawl" idea doesn't really appeal to me a whole lot. If it were co-op, so Maia and I could play together, I might be more inclined to try it, but not as a single player game.

Even if it were co-op, there are three things (beyond the dungeon crawl mechanics) about LoG I don't really care for:

1. Your characters need to eat. I've never liked this idea.
2. Torches go out, which means you've got to constantly resupply yourself.
3. You fight in real-time, not turn-based. You can't even pause to issue orders or anything. That can make combat overly stressful.

That said, the game looks impressive, considering it was made by an indie developer. If you like dungeon crawls, then I'd probably recommend this game.

Oh and if you look on message boards, it appears a lot of people think it's "Grimlock" instead of "Grimrock." :P
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

I don't like dungeon crawlers either. I prefer exploring vast overworlds and towns. I find dungeon crawling tedious. Dungeons are always the worst part of a game for me. I might get it if it's on sale, just because it has gotten good reviews from what I've seen, and I like when games try something different from what's currently out there. I remember being excited for Eye of the Beholder, but it was so boring and frustrating. The graphics were good at the time, though. But I remember getting fed up with exploring level after mazelike level and I just started wandering as far and deep as I could with what I think was just a mid-level party, avoiding tough encounters as much as possible. And somehow I just stumbled upon the beholder you have to find, killed him, and won.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I think because some of my first games I ever played on the computer were WIZARDRY (like the old school ones) - to see (back then) a computer be able to do more than just have text... I was blown away!

I mean, to be those graphics were amazing! (Hey, I was like 10 years old and there was nothing like this that I had seen!) I played all the WIZARDY games, I remember scribbling maps down on graph paper (and sometimes just lines on regular paper, if graph paper wasn't handy!)

And the fact that the option for turn based isn't there, is a small negative; even I admit that. I wish the option to pick was there (whether you wanted turn based or real time; because Wizardry 8 offered that). But as for torches; trust me, they're every 30 feet throughout the dungeon (well at least on the first two top layers of the Dungeon, which is as far as I have gotten so far). It took some getting used to (I did the first/top floor first; to get a feel for the game; then restarted, once I knew how it worked - which was like 20 minutes of lost time, no big deal). As for food; that's all over (again, at least on the first two layers of the dungeon) - because when you kill specific animals or creatures, they will often drop "meat." (Kind of gross to think of eating sliced slug meat, but hey, when you're in a dungeon, you gotta do what you gotta do!)

The game DEFINITELY appeals to us "old school" gamers, I think who played games like the original Wizardry. It has a lot of cool puzzles as well, with little hidden secrets throughout the game.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

I bought the game, but haven't had time to try it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote:I bought the game, but haven't had time to try it.
Let me know what you think (or if you have questions!) Been playing it a bit now and enjoying it! Found several "Secret" spots already on the first top (two) floors.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

I've recently bought Legend of Grimrock, and, I must say - I'm absolutely loving the game! Besides the solid controls, clever puzzles, and the unique enemies, I also like the fact that you don't need scrolls to actually discover potion and spell combinations (I found the Poignant Potion combination this way). While, yes, I dislike the 'eating' part as it feels unnecessarily superfluous, the torches actually add an element of stealth to the game as a lack of light makes combat more difficult for both you and your enemies - plus, it makes it harder for them to find you! (I imagine there are foes which can see in the dark, but I'm only on Level 3.) Also, I've never been a big fan of turned-based combat (small-scale combat is alright, but I hate large/grand-scale combat), so the real-time combat makes it more interesting for me.

...plus, it doesn't hurt that the game looks like Crysis - which, for an independent production, is an outstanding achievement!
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

I am on level 9 now.
This is a tricky level as there seems no end to those blue beasts.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Egads! I go on vacation for a week! And now everyone's ahead of me! I am on Level 3 still.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

It seems as I am up against the final boss of the game now.
I was killed pretty fast on the first try as there are a lot of enemies swarming around and I couldn't move anymore.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote:It seems as I am up against the final boss of the game now.
I was killed pretty fast on the first try as there are a lot of enemies swarming around and I couldn't move anymore.
Damn! See I need to catch up!

So you liked it?
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Yeah I like(d) it.
I didn't really like the old school dungeon crawlers though. I like the fact that the main part is not the fighting, but the exploring of the dungeon.
Solving puzzles, avoiding traps.

It was better than I anticipated, but not perfect. (wouldn't have mind some more variation in colours for example)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote:Yeah I like(d) it.
I didn't really like the old school dungeon crawlers though. I like the fact that the main part is not the fighting, but the exploring of the dungeon.
Solving puzzles, avoiding traps.

It was better than I anticipated, but not perfect. (wouldn't have mind some more variation in colours for example)
I agree. It could always be a little better. But for a small company, I think it's pretty amazing thus far... and I am just at the end of Level 3, about to venture down into Level 4.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

If you have not gotten LEGEND OF GRIMROCK and enjoy the old school RPG feel - now's the time to get it! Normally 15 bucks, now 60% off on Steam!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”