Abrams to direct next Star Wars

Talk about anything you want here
Collector
Grand Poobah

Abrams to direct next Star Wars

Post by Collector »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21214040

The impression that Abrams leaves me with is that he is incapable of telling a good story and makes up for it with a bunch of meaningless, gratuitous action sequences. The perfect director for the ADD. I wish he would leave established franchises alone and botch his own property. I am not as big of a fan of Star Wars as many here, but if it had been as mindless and vapid as most of his stuff, no one would remember it.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

ClintRVA
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Re: Abrams to direct next Star Wars

Post by ClintRVA »

What is the expression... "cautiously optimistic?" That's me on this one. I know people complained about Star Trek altering the canon, and how that made the whole universe messy, but it was a fun movie... which is the point of movies. As for Star Wars, he's somebody who grew up loving the original trilogy, while Lucas just seemed bent on rewriting the story. Of all of the big budget Hollywood folks, the pick could be a whole lot worse. (And being a multimillion dollar Disney franchise, you know it'll be an established director!).
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

I liked two of Abrams movies, Super 8 and the new Star Trek movie. I thought the new Star Trek movie was a lot better than 4-6 and just as good as TNG movies. My first thoughts to Disney buying the rights to Star Wars wasn't optimistic at all. The last three Star Wars movies that were made weren't nearly as good as the original trilogy. I believe Lucas lost his ability to direct right after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Back to Disney buying the rights to the Star Wars franchise. Something good that can come out of this instead of a movie are more park attractions. One of my favorite things at Walt Disney World was the Star Tours area of the park.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I resort to the image I made:

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I think he is a good director, with a good sense of pace, and a strong sense of visuals. However, I don't like him very much as a storyteller, so I'd really like to know how's writing the script.

As a side note, when I heard that Disney bought the company and the franchise I shivered. I don't know if I think that making other Star Wars movies is such a good idea, especially not after the last - disappointing, at least to me - trilogy.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

QuestCollector wrote:Back to Disney buying the rights to the Star Wars franchise. Something good that can come out of this instead of a movie are more park attractions. One of my favorite things at Walt Disney World was the Star Tours area of the park.
Or as one of my friends suggested, a SW world in Kingdom Hearts :D .

Anyway, I thought the star trek movie was alright, but then, my st experiences are limited. I wached the original movies once in a tv marathon, but that was wayyy back, since I remembe taping them on vhs and watching them with my mom the day after. I think It'll be interesting to see what he makes of it, but atm I'm rather neutral as to the choice of director.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I see no problem with this.

Abrams has done a good enough job with other properties (like Star Trek), so I'm not too worried. Even if he does make a few mistakes, it's unlikely he'll do worse than Lucas did with the prequel trilogy.

As for Disney owning Star Wars... once again, I'm not concerned. Disney also owns Marvel and they've done an excellent job with recent Marvel movies (i.e. Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers). They could've completely screwed it up, but those have been some of the best superhero movies ever made, especially The Avengers.

So for everyone who's having a meltdown at the thought of Abrams and Disney manning the helm, I have two words for you: calm down. Whatever happens, we're virtually guaranteed to see a better end product than Episodes 1 through 3.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
El Ravager
Sierra Obsessed

Post by El Ravager »

I think he is a good director, with a good sense of pace, and a strong sense of visuals. However, I don't like him very much as a storyteller, so I'd really like to know how's writing the script.
The screenplay is being written by Michael Arndt (of Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 fame).
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Thanks, El. I haven't seen Toy Story 3, but I did quite like Little Miss Sunshine.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”