Who wants a script?

Feeling like this game could be murder... literally? Well, come on in here for some extra detective work (and clues/hints/etc!) for the Laura Bow games (The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra).
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Who wants a script?

Post by Collector »

Don't forget to update the Wiki with your new version.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Found a fun easter egg: in the stable, Ask about Wilbur. There's a mention of this on SHP but only when Wilbur's there, but it also works when he's not.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Got a question - I'm trying to find Gloria in the well.

When I was looking for the alternate location of Wilbur, I got it on my first try, starting with the save I took right after the start of Act III in the library, while Wilbur was there.
Unfortunately, 30 tries in, I haven't been able to find Gloria in the well starting from Act IV (starting in the billiard room with Gloria there).

Are there some conditions that need to be met or are the odds you can find Gloria there significantly smaller?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

It may have taken me several years, but yesterday evening I finally finished The Colonel's Bequest! I still need to replay for the other endings.

I'm still not fully "done" in the sense that there are still things I'm missing:

-in spite of over 80 attempts I haven't managed to find Gloria in the well, even with different savegames and playing from scratch and all.
-Haven't managed to start the flying statue egg, but that's not really something I've been hunting for yet.
-The ghost never appeared at the cemetery.
-There's weirdness in the barn - the messages "kiss horse" and "kill horse" appear to be reversed. Typing "kiss horse" gets the "That's not very nice, Laura!" message. Kill horse gives "Move closer."
-More weirdness in Act... 4 I think? Lillian is obviously in the Laura + Lillian bedroom, but when you look at or talk to her, it says she's not there.
-I got a lot of error messages when talking to the colonel in chapter 7.
-"Take shower" when Clarence's body is in the bath tub yields "What a morbid thought!" However, type Wash, and the shower scene starts - with Clarence there.

Script finds;
-The Mr Ed easter egg :D
-In my quest to type as little as possible, I found that "c" in the vocabulary is a aynonym for Wilbur.
-In the "is it in" realm there's one thing I couldn't find - Gloria is the only character who has lines about her boa. Yet, " ask about boa" yields no result.
GS "Do you like the boa with my gown?"(ask boa)
LB "Oh, yes! You look very glamorous."
GS "I bought it in Hollywood. Don't you just adore it?"(ask boa)
LB "It looks nice on you, but I don't know how I would look in it."

-What can you ask about? All characters, the dog, the parrot, the horse of course, but also: Bible, cane, cigar, valve handle, crank, Wilbur's bag, hanky, necklace; the estate, Sarah and Crouton, and the treasure and ghost. And, with Celie, voodoo.
Character pairings can be asked about, characters can be listed in either order but must always contain "and". Character pairings that work are:
-Clarence and Gertie, Clarence and Gloria, Clarence and Wilbur, and later Clarence and Rudy opens up.
-Henri and Fifi if you spied on them, and Jeeves and Fifi.
-Lillian and Celie, Lillian and Ethel, and later Lillian and Henri opens up.
-Rudy and Gloria, later Rudy and Fifi

Since I was playing with a "hacked" version (one that didn't even skip the copy protection with the fingerprints) I assume that the weirdness with the ghost and possibly Gloria in the well, are caused by the hacked version. I'll give my Roberta Williams Anthology another spin.

And there's a little something for Collector attached.
Attachments
sciv_1898.zip
(10.49 MiB) Downloaded 287 times
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:23 am It may have taken me several years, but yesterday evening I finally finished The Colonel's Bequest! I still need to replay for the other endings.
I'm still not fully "done" in the sense that there are still things I'm missing:

-in spite of over 80 attempts I haven't managed to find Gloria in the well, even with different savegames and playing from scratch and all.
-Haven't managed to start the flying statue egg, but that's not really something I've been hunting for yet.
-The ghost never appeared at the cemetery.
-There's weirdness in the barn - the messages "kiss horse" and "kill horse" appear to be reversed. Typing "kiss horse" gets the "That's not very nice, Laura!" message. Kill horse gives "Move closer."
-More weirdness in Act... 4 I think? Lillian is obviously in the Laura + Lillian bedroom, but when you look at or talk to her, it says she's not there.
-I got a lot of error messages when talking to the colonel in chapter 7.
-"Take shower" when Clarence's body is in the bath tub yields "What a morbid thought!" However, type Wash, and the shower scene starts - with Clarence there.
I don't think in the MANY replays I've done of TCB - I've ever seen a =====ghost===== in the cemetery. I didn't even know that was a thing?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:04 pm I don't think in the MANY replays I've done of TCB - I've ever seen a =====ghost===== in the cemetery. I didn't even know that was a thing?
Attachments
LauraAngel.gif
LauraAngel.gif (13.73 KiB) Viewed 13887 times

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Got the captures. Thanks. As to Douglas Herring's Easter egg:

It only has a 1 in 200 chance of being triggered. OmerMor explored it several years ago. The relevant script is this:

Code: Select all

(if (== Random(1 200) 95)
      (Plane:
          loop(1)
          play()
      )
      (airplane:
          setCycle(Fwd)
          illegalBits(0)
          setLoop(3)
          ignoreHorizon(1)
          xStep(10)
          setMotion(MoveTo 380 68)
          init()
      )
  )

(instance airplane of Act
    (properties
        y 68
        x -120
        view 104
        loop 3
    )
  )
However, the script refers to an airplane, and not a statue.
OmerMor wrote:Looking at the object's view (104) I noticed it contains 3 loops. The first is a statue, the second shows the benches, and the third is a never-before-seen airplane.
The script sets the airplane's loop to 3, but since we use zero-based counting, the airplane's loop should've been 2.
Fixing the script once again, I was able to trigger the egg as it was meant to be seen.
Douglas Herring wrote:Statues and benches should not be seen flying there. I am a huge fan of DC's "Enemy Ace" and of Manfred Von Richthofen. The red Fokker DR1 was an easter egg I designed... The sound of course are twin spandau's firing...

Note the satyr/Pan statue there too. I am a Greek Mythology fan as well. My love of Dinosaurs shows up in the game too.
Here are OmerMor's patches.
Attachments
lb1_egg.zip
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

No the ghost in the cemetery, not Laura's ghost when you fall down the chute or drop down the ledge. I'll get a screen grab for you.

Will be making more screenshots from the regular LB1 but need to install it first. :D
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I am again playing through Colonel's Bequest, the Roberta Williams Anthology version, and this time it took me only two visits to the graveyard to get the ghost.
Attachments
sciv_1983.png
sciv_1983.png (8.44 KiB) Viewed 13599 times
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 pm I am again playing through Colonel's Bequest, the Roberta Williams Anthology version, and this time it took me only two visits to the graveyard to get the ghost.
Oh wow. I swear, I don't think I've ever seen the ghost... or don't remember...! :shock:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I finally, finally, finally got Gloria in the well

Will attach picture once I'm done shooting the footage... :D

Never been this happy to see a corpse! :D
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Pleased to present part 2 of the Laura Bow screenshots!
Now featuring:
-the cemetery ghost
-the flying statue easter egg
-three alternative endings
-full score ending and notebook
-And of course Gloria in the well.
Attachments
sciv_2214.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 247 times
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Do you know what triggers the --------------well =============scene?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Well:

I walked around 200 times over to the well before I realized that, from the savegames I used, I never had operated the well bucket before that. So I made a new savegame from the same place (just before starting Act 4, outside the billiard room). I've tried various options, both starting act IV at the billiard room and at other places (attic, playhouse). Before I made the savegame after turning the well crank, I had about 150 tries with no results.
When I worked with the new save, the well scene came relatively quickly, but after making screenshots and walking away (the body then drops down and is gone straight away, if you pull the bucket back up she's gone) I remembered I wanted to make a savegame to save the moment for posterity and I couldn't repeat it for the next 10 times I've tried it.
Since I was at about 200 attempts I didn't feel like trying it more often to get an idea of the frequency.

I'm not sure if pulling up the bucket at an earlier time is a trigger but it doesn't hurt to try.

Unfortunately I can't find the lines in the script and learning scripting may be on the to do list but I can't easily find any trigger, there doesn't seem to be one. Rudy's site doesn't even mention the option and it definitely appears to be rarer than the other alternate locations (Ethel, Clarence, Wilbur) which have about 50/50 chance, so I guess it's along the rarity lines of the statue egg.

I've downloaded SGI Companion and SGI Studios for the express reason to find out what are the triggers to find Gloria in the well - no dice. My scripter's not proficient.
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Forget SGI Studio. It is too primitive. Only SGI Companion 3+ has the decompiler.

Return to “The Laura Bow Games”