Who wants a script?

Feeling like this game could be murder... literally? Well, come on in here for some extra detective work (and clues/hints/etc!) for the Laura Bow games (The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra).
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Who wants a script?

Post by BBP »

Got that but still it's more than my programming skill's worth. I'm beyond the Hello World stage but am still looking for a place that is able to tell you what is what in understandable language.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

SIgh. I've played LB2 but never LB1 -- it's on my list though :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:51 am SIgh. I've played LB2 but never LB1 -- it's on my list though :)
I prefer LB1 by a lot. LB2 is great. But I love the setting of LB1. It's what inspired me to make Final Soul.
OmerMor
Sierra Obsessed

Post by OmerMor »

BBP wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:55 pm Pleased to present part 2 of the Laura Bow screenshots!
Now featuring:
-the cemetery ghost
-the flying statue easter egg
-three alternative endings
-full score ending and notebook
-And of course Gloria in the well.
I think you'll be interested in reading these 2 blog posts that dissect The Colonel's Bequest's code:
The Colonel’s Bequest – Super Sleuth
The Colonel’s Bequest – Case Cracked
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

That is really interesting. The random number generator was disabled in order to crack the finger prints, causing the game to effectively lose its number generator and thus everything that depends on randomness behaves a lot different from expected.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Those are great reads! TCB appears to have a lot of bugs - saying people aren't there when they are there, or saying the wrong thing to the wrong command.

I'm now wondering about the cracked copy I have - it doesn't appear to be always Celie. I'll check again...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I guess it's not a cracked copy... can't get in with the Celie thing. Makes me wonder what happened to it since the ghost didn't show up. There are so many random things in this game...
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

BBP wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am Those are great reads! TCB appears to have a lot of bugs - saying people aren't there when they are there, or saying the wrong thing to the wrong command.

I'm now wondering about the cracked copy I have - it doesn't appear to be always Celie. I'll check again...
Even the "flying statue" is a bug. The egg is supposed to be a Fokker DR-1 Triplane from Dynamix's Red Baron.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

OmerMor wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 am I think you'll be interested in reading these 2 blog posts that dissect The Colonel's Bequest's code:
The Colonel’s Bequest – Super Sleuth
The Colonel’s Bequest – Case Cracked
Thank you so much for sharing these. Those were absolutely fascinating reads. I’m incredibly impressed at his painstaking research, even tracing the randomness crack all the way back to its source!

I first played TCB back in 2001 after getting the 1997 KQ Collection. I’d had LB2 at my disposal for years and was very anxious to try my hands at Laura’s first adventure. I’ll be honest, though, I didn’t fancy having to flip through the book and find the right fingerprint each and every time, so I did track down the cracked executable, having learned it would only offer Celie’s fingerprint. I didn’t feel overly guilty about doing this because I owned a legal copy. I never knew until now, however, just how much was affected.

This article answered a question I’d long wondered about, because I did notice the chandelier always tinkling in the “Celie” version but only doing so occasionally in the “normal” version. I remember thinking, even as a kid, that something else must’ve been affected by the crack but didn’t have the knowledge to piece it together. I didn’t register the other anomalies at the time, but now that he’s pointed them out a lot of dots have been connected.

As for Super Sleuth, that took me a long time to obtain. I finally managed it only a few years ago. In previous playthroughs, I would always miss at least one. The one which took me the longest to figure out was looking at the Colonel’s bag in Act VIII, because it never made sense to me not to head straight for the attic to investigate the scuffling sounds. Interesting to learn how lucky I got with some of the earlier ones.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Regarding the whole "Jacques Dijon" mystery that was brought up a few years ago, you can indeed get this information from Celie in Act V. Just wanted to share this screenshot to prove it once and for all.
Jacques.png
Jacques.png (4.97 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I love things like this. Almost like digital archaeology. I wonder if this guy can figure out what goes wrong with the bad ending in PQ3 if you buy a rose more than once.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:47 pm I wonder if this guy can figure out what goes wrong with the bad ending in PQ3 if you buy a rose more than once.
... don't remind me... :x

Return to “The Laura Bow Games”