Kyrandia Book 1 (Complete), II (Complete), III (Complete)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Kyrandia Book 1.

Post by Tawmis »

Maxor127 wrote:It's one of my favorite adventure games. I thought the inventory system worked good. Everything was on one screen and easy to manipulate. The audio was awesome. Some of the screens were visually stunning at the time. I hate mazes in games, but the cave part in Kyrandia doesn't bother me too much. It's not complicated enough where I couldn't memorize it after a short time. Plus you're able to drop those glowing berries to help you find your way around. Between that and the landmarks you find, it's pretty tolerable. The only thing I remember being annoyed with is some of the pixel hunting you had to do. I remember one item that was hard to see in the maze.
There's a thing in the water (before the caves) that you can't even see and have to pixel hunt for.

I haven't gotten back to it - but I found what I hope is a useful map.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You could try to get the one from http://bonny.ploeg.ws.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Just to be clear: it's not the inventory interface I dislike, but the underlying system. The always-visible inventory is quite nice, and it feels good to be able to pick up items in the scene with the mouse and place them into the inventory, or vice versa (although that system does make you feel distinct from the character).

My problem with it is that you have only a very limited number of slots (just 10 in Kyrandia 1) and a whole lot more items to put in it. There are some items you actually need, some items that are completely useless, and some items where you need some quantity but can pick up more than that. So you can quickly find yourself out of space and throwing your items around the scenery, hoping that you aren't throwing away anything essential. I don't think that kind of inventory management is a good addition to the game.

Kyrandia 3's inventory philosophy is even more problematic. There are places where you can keep getting random items, and places where you have to give an inventory item (but it doesn't matter which one). Also, there are multiple paths, so you might be accumulating items for several at once. So there's a lot of "get a bunch of stuff; if you don't like it, just get rid of it and get another bunch of stuff" that I don't like. But that's just one of many complaints I have about that game; my favorite Kyrandia game is 2, by a huge margin.

I really prefer when there isn't any limit to how many items you can carry, and where getting an item in your inventory means something (if you can pick it up, you'll probably need it, and you'll be able to carry it with you until you do).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I just want to point out how much I effing hate the caves...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

:lol:
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote::lol:
I have a freaking MAP of the caves and still keep dying, because I can't get to that 5th rock I need to get out of the caves!

I am actually doing screen shots and making my own map at this point.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ironically, it and the others are currently on sale on GOG.
http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyran ... a992b2786a
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote:
Collector wrote::lol:
I have a freaking MAP of the caves and still keep dying, because I can't get to that 5th rock I need to get out of the caves!
I am actually doing screen shots and making my own map at this point.
By making my own map I found the 5th rock - this took me much longer than it should have (not sure if the forum will shrink the size and make it useless) :lol:
Attachments
Image1.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Never thought I'd see this...
Attachments
... the other side of the cave!!
... the other side of the cave!!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Congrats!

I hope you got everything you need down there; I haven't tried using the spell before going back into the cave but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't implemented. :)

That 5th rock - just guessing which one it is, the one at the cavern of twilight? It's so mean!!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Congrats!
I hope you got everything you need down there; I haven't tried using the spell before going back into the cave but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't implemented. :)
That 5th rock - just guessing which one it is, the one at the cavern of twilight? It's so mean!!
No. The 5th rock (if you click the image, it will go full size) and you will see where I found that 5th and final rock. Was just in the cave. Apparently I kept missing that cave area with berries. :Furious:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am not the only one who thinks these two scenes are pretty similar (yet different... but still similar...)
Attachments
LoK1 - KQ5
LoK1 - KQ5
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Well, once you get out of the caves - the game gets significantly easier. Just had to remember what potions to make - and it was cake from there.
(Though I admittedly missed picking up the tulip way in the beginning - so I had to walk around all the screens until I found it).
Attachments
Beat the game, now onto book II.
Beat the game, now onto book II.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Kyrandia Book 1 (Complete), II (In Progress), III (Pendi

Post by Tawmis »

Rather than make a LOK2 thread - just edited the title of the thread, and will keep it all contained within here. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Kyrandia Book 1 (Complete), II (In Progress), III (Pendi

Post by Tawmis »

And so begins Book II...
Attachments
Image1.png

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”