Dreamfall Chapters...

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Dreamfall Chapters...

Post by Tinuviel »

Talk about the world's best kept secret. Look!

http://www.pcgamer.com/dreamfall-chapte ... s-out-now/

I didn't even know they were making another one...though I'm not sure, at first glance, if this is a completely new game or new chapters combining Dreamfall and The Longest Journey.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Dreamfall Chapters...

Post by Collector »

This has been in the works for quite some time, but I had purposely ignored it since there seemed to be some question as to if it would see fruition. Nice to see that it was finished, though I will probably wait a bit before buying it.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:This has been in the works for quite some time, but I had purposely ignored it since there seemed to be some question as to if it would see fruition. Nice to see that it was finished, though I will probably wait a bit before buying it.
Considering the game's episodic, I'd say waiting is a good move.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I purposely looked up news about a Dreamfall sequel and found out about the Kickstarter campaign that way. I didn't think it was that "secret", but perhaps if you didn't specifically look for it, it wasn't easy to find out about.

It's definitely a new game. From all the development updates we received from Kickstarter, I'm really looking forward to it. I think the developers really nailed it with this one. Not only is going to be a great story and setting, like the previous games, but it sounds like they put a lot of thought into the gameplay.

Alas, my computer barely meets the minumum requirements, so I may hold off on playing it until a) I can get a new computer, and b) the Books are all released (Books meaning "episodes", since each episode is a Book of the story and a self-contained story arc iteself).
Last edited by Maiandra on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I hate episodic releases. It is the main reason I am waiting.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I'm not a big fan of them either. That's why I waited for The Wolf Among Us to release all the episodes before playing it. As much as I want to play it, I will likely wait for Chapters to be complete as well.

Dreamfall: Chapters was meant to be episodic when it was conceptualised a number of years ago (which is why it had that name). However, when they decided to back it using Kickstarter instead (so that they could make the game they wanted, without publisher interference) they intended to release it as a single game.

More recently, they realised that to tell the full story they wanted, it had to be longer than they originally planned. Since they wanted to make sure their Kickstarter backers still had the game release they were promised this year, they decided to separate the Books into separate episodes. So "Chapters" was a fitting name afterall!

So, on the one hand, it's disappointing that only Book One will be release this year, but, on the other hand, I'm happy it means a longer game.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”