The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK. So, every-day "normal" people just go about their business in Dragonlance. What about thieves? Or are they no Thieves' Guilds in Dragonlance?

And if there are, how do 'normal' urban people protect themselves from thievery? They have no armour. How about weapons ? Or would they fight back with a butter knife? ;)

Also, what about out in the wilds of Dragonlance? I presume there are farmers and such. If an orc raiding party raids their farms, are they defenseless?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:35 am OK. So, every-day "normal" people just go about their business in Dragonlance. What about thieves? Or are they no Thieves' Guilds in Dragonlance?
And if there are, how do 'normal' urban people protect themselves from thievery? They have no armour. How about weapons ? Or would they fight back with a butter knife? ;)
Also, what about out in the wilds of Dragonlance? I presume there are farmers and such. If an orc raiding party raids their farms, are they defenseless?
There are, naturally thieves. And there are Thieves Guilds (undoubtedly, though none, to my memory is ever mentioned in any story).
If you want to use your real world example, most urban people didn't carry weapons either. They'd simply report it to local authority/guards.
Who would then go out and dispense "justice."

In Dragonlance, there are farmers, naturally. However, most are near a specific Kingdom and under the protection of said Kingdoms.

I am sure there's farmers out there in the wild. But it's never addressed in the books.

I also never said NO ONE HAS WEAPONS BUT GUARDS! - I am sure people, just like in today's world - some people have weapons some don't.

I don't have a gun, for example, to protect myself from someone breaking into my house.

However, I know for a fact at least three of my co-workers do.

I've never played Skyrim (but I know you have) - I imagine MAJORITY of "urban people" do not have weapons and armor in that game? It's mostly also guards?

Farmers probably have standard farming equipment to use as weapons?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:47 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:35 am OK. So, every-day "normal" people just go about their business in Dragonlance. What about thieves? Or are they no Thieves' Guilds in Dragonlance?
There are, naturally thieves. And there are Thieves Guilds (undoubtedly, though none, to my memory is ever mentioned in any story).
If you want to use your real world example, most urban people didn't carry weapons either. They'd simply report it to local authority/guards.
Who would then go out and dispense "justice."

In Dragonlance, there are farmers, naturally. However, most are near a specific Kingdom and under the protection of said Kingdoms.

I am sure there's farmers out there in the wild. But it's never addressed in the books.

I also never said NO ONE HAS WEAPONS BUT GUARDS! - I am sure people, just like in today's world - some people have weapons some don't.

I don't have a gun, for example, to protect myself from someone breaking into my house.

However, I know for a fact at least three of my co-workers do.

I've never played Skyrim (but I know you have) - I imagine MAJORITY of "urban people" do not have weapons and armor in that game? It's mostly also guards?

Farmers probably have standard farming equipment to use as weapons?
Fair enough. *nods* I'm aware that, obviously, not everyone in America has a gun. Unfortunately, some people who do grab all the headlines when they do wrong or stupid things with them. (Also, I've seen at least a few pictures of people with semi-automatic rifles nearly as big as themselves ... and I really have to wonder why these are necessary. :roll: But never mind, that's a different topic).

In Skyrim, actually, the majority of "urban people" carry at least an iron dagger (which deals the least damage). A few carry a longbow or an iron sword. These are never used, unless you or someone else commit a crime (theft or murder) in a public place ... and don't submit to the guards when they try to take you to jail. (Oh dear). They also try using these weapons when a dragon or a group of vampires decide to attack their town.

Farmers in Skyrim also carry standard weapons (iron swords or longbows). I don't know about farmers in Dragonlance, naturally ... although I think that D&D rules ought to be changed about farming implements. A scythe in D&D can do 2d4 base damage; what about a pitchfork? One of these, in the hands of an angry and desperate farmer, can do some very nasty damage (equivalent to a trident, I believe - maybe 1d6 base damage)?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Not sure if it's of interest to you, Rath, since you're all musical like.
Attachments
DDB-Theme-Sheet-Music.pdf
(366.35 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
DDB-Theme-Song-Individual-Sheet-Music.pdf
(334.05 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

*reads along* Heh, nice one. A rock 'n roll song about D&D. ;)

...... and then D&D Beyond was bought out by Hasbro. *headdesk* Are there any games Hasbro hasn't tried to acquire?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:25 pm *reads along* Heh, nice one. A rock 'n roll song about D&D. ;)

...... and then D&D Beyond was bought out by Hasbro. *headdesk* Are there any games Hasbro hasn't tried to acquire?
Habsro got D&D Beyond back in April of 2022. So not exactly too recent.

All the big companies try to gobble the smaller ones. Like at the Microsft/Activision acquisition.

Look at Disney and the FOX acquisition.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Hasbro: 'Til all are one.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I thought it was "There can be only one." Or is that Outlander? *ponders*
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:58 am I thought it was "There can be only one." Or is that Outlander? *ponders*
It's from the 1986 animated Transformers movie. It's a sort of rallying cry for the Autobots. And the Transformers are a Hasbro property.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:58 am I thought it was "There can be only one." Or is that Outlander? *ponders*
Outlander?

Or Highlander?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Whoops, it's Highlander. My bad.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

This is from my D&D session on 11/28 of 2023 (catching up on my notes)...
Attachments
The Behir are giant creatures, bred to kill dragons and have a magical breath weapon that recharges on a 5 or 6 rolled on a d6 every round.
The Behir are giant creatures, bred to kill dragons and have a magical breath weapon that recharges on a 5 or 6 rolled on a d6 every round.
The vile Githyanki.
The vile Githyanki.
behirswallows.mp3
This is when the Behir swallows the Paladin, Adrian.
(225.53 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
donplans.mp3
This is the character Don, explaining how the plan will go.
(514.92 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
behirspitsout.mp3
The Behir spitting out the Paladin, Adrian.
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
criticalfailsattheend.mp3
Near the end of the battle, there were three critical fails nearly back to back....
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: "The Behir will not swallow anyone else ... until you are thoroughly cooked." ;)

I love Don's plan. We need to control the Behir ... how we need to control the Behir. Thanks for clarifying, Don! :P

Um - I'd have thought, if Adrian was swimming in acid, it wouldn't just melt his armour but also his flesh. :shock: Plate Mail Armour is articulated, which means it's not completely enclosed. There are tiny places where it's open. They wouldn't let in an arrow or crossbow bolt, but acid has no problem. ;)

:lol: Love the acid sound-effect. ;)

Incoming lightning, Brad! (Sorry, who's Brad?)

Sixteen saving throws?! :shock:

Phrenya takes 84 points of damage!!! :shock:

Phrenya can now see that Adrian is now bloody. (How can she see anything with that much damage?) Yesssssssssss ... :lol:

Tawm sez: "Oh, poop." (Words That You Never Want to Hear Your DM To Say) :lol:

Woo-hoo! Three Crit Fails in a row! :lol: Six points of damage from a dragon's claw, six points of damage from another claw, someone backs up to someone else's greataxe and takes more damage, and Adrian takes ANOTHER 9 damage. Adrian's like "Stop helping me, PLEASE!" :lol:

I'm so sorry for laughing. Poor Adrian :( I hope he survives :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Um - I'd have thought, if Adrian was swimming in acid, it wouldn't just melt his armour but also his flesh. :shock: Plate Mail Armour is articulated, which means it's not completely enclosed. There are tiny places where it's open. They wouldn't let in an arrow or crossbow bolt, but acid has no problem. ;)
I mention how it's scarring his flesh before I mention his armor. :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Incoming lightning, Brad! (Sorry, who's Brad?)
Lightning coming from it's bowels. :) Not Brad. :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Sixteen saving throws?! :shock:
DC 16 savings throw, in D&D 5e = "Difficulty Class" - so based on each stat he has (Strength [STR], Constitution [CON], Dexterity [DEX], Intelligence [INT], Wisdom [WIS], and Charisma [CHR])... depending on what you score is (and class, and sometimes race), you have a "base" point as to what your bonus for each specific savings throw is.

So for example (just making up a number), Adrian's Dexterity Save Bonus = 5.

So when he rolls a D20 (20 sided), he adds 5 to whatever he rolls.

So in this example of a DC 16 Dexterity Save, he'd need to roll at least an 11 to make the save.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Phrenya takes 84 points of damage!!! :shock:
Yes, that was unfortunate. She was reduced to 1 hit point as she has (had) 85 hit points at the time. lol

Perhaps fortunate is a better word, because the amount of damage a Behir's breath can do can be much more.

And it's all rolled into Discord from D&D Beyond, so there's no fuding the dice on my behalf.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am I'm so sorry for laughing. Poor Adrian :( I hope he survives :)
Yeah, Adrian had a bad day that game. But he's the Paladin and meant to soak the damage.

Because of his armor class, he tends to be the hardest one to ever hit.

And because Paladins tend to have a bonus to their savings throw (based on their Charisma), which also applies to anyone within 10' of him, it also makes it difficult to hit him on things that require a savings throw rather than direct hits (of melee/range).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:08 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Um - I'd have thought, if Adrian was swimming in acid, it wouldn't just melt his armour but also his flesh. :shock: Plate Mail Armour is articulated, which means it's not completely enclosed. There are tiny places where it's open. They wouldn't let in an arrow or crossbow bolt, but acid has no problem. ;)
I mention how it's scarring his flesh before I mention his armor. :)
Um, sorry; wouldn't acid melt the flesh right off Adrian's bones, not simply give him a scar? :shock: Acid tends to do that. (Of course, it depends on how strong the acid is. But I'd have thought the stomach acid of a behir wouldn't be particularly weak...) ;)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Sixteen saving throws?! :shock:
DC 16 savings throw, in D&D 5e = "Difficulty Class" - so based on each stat he has (Strength [STR], Constitution [CON], Dexterity [DEX], Intelligence [INT], Wisdom [WIS], and Charisma [CHR])... depending on what you score is (and class, and sometimes race), you have a "base" point as to what your bonus for each specific savings throw is.

So for example (just making up a number), Adrian's Dexterity Save Bonus = 5.

So when he rolls a D20 (20 sided), he adds 5 to whatever he rolls.

So in this example of a DC 16 Dexterity Save, he'd need to roll at least an 11 to make the save.[/quote]

Ah, OK. I must've misheard. I thought someone had to make sixteen saving throws - one after the other, 16 times. (Yikes! Poor bugger) ;)

By the way, nothing to say about this?
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 am Tawm sez: "Oh, poop." (Words That You Never Want to Hear Your DM To Say) :lol:
When your DM says "Oh, poop", you know it's won't end well for you. ;)

Return to “Community Games”