Dagger of Amon Ra playthrough

Feeling like this game could be murder... literally? Well, come on in here for some extra detective work (and clues/hints/etc!) for the Laura Bow games (The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra).
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Dagger of Amon Ra playthrough

Post by notbobsmith »

So I started my playthrough earlier this week. First, a problem. When I try to restore a game during Act 2, I get an Oops error and the game quits. This first time I thought it was an unlucky glitch, but it just happened again. Is there a way to fix my saved game, or are there places which are safe/unsafe to save? I did a quick search and couldn't find much help. I am running the CD version that came bundled with the King's Quest Collection (1997) on DOSBox.

For now, it's a little too early for impressions. It does seem to follow an adventure game model more closely, but they retained the clock starting with Act 2. Solid voice work for the most part. It seems to have an odd sense of humor that seems out of place. Mostly from the narrator's descriptions and the fact that the newspaper has an absurd name. A few place seem like they have unfinished artwork. Just big voids in the laundry and speakeasy that make it look incomplete. There seem to be a few inconstancies regarding Prohibition. It gets mentioned along with speakeasies, but then the museum is serving champagne and the detective mentions going out to a pub (but also talks about how much he wants to shut down the speakeasies). And I finally get Semihappy Partygoer's username! :D
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Re: Dagger of Amon Ra playthrough

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

notbobsmith wrote:So I started my playthrough earlier this week. First, a problem. When I try to restore a game during Act 2, I get an Oops error and the game quits. This first time I thought it was an unlucky glitch, but it just happened again. Is there a way to fix my saved game, or are there places which are safe/unsafe to save? I did a quick search and couldn't find much help. I am running the CD version that came bundled with the King's Quest Collection (1997) on DOSBox.

For now, it's a little too early for impressions. It does seem to follow an adventure game model more closely, but they retained the clock starting with Act 2. Solid voice work for the most part. It seems to have an odd sense of humor that seems out of place. Mostly from the narrator's descriptions and the fact that the newspaper has an absurd name. A few place seem like they have unfinished artwork. Just big voids in the laundry and speakeasy that make it look incomplete. There seem to be a few inconstancies regarding Prohibition. It gets mentioned along with speakeasies, but then the museum is serving champagne and the detective mentions going out to a pub (but also talks about how much he wants to shut down the speakeasies). And I finally get Semihappy Partygoer's username! :D
I remember getting an "Oops" error loading Act II years ago, but I have no idea what, precisely, triggers it. I also remember experiencing it once midway through a later act. I've never seen any of those messages when playing the game through ScummVM, though that may just be luck.

The black voids were obviously a stylistic choice, as I know the artwork tried to evoke the art deco style. It is a bit jarring at times, especially when they clearly cut painted elements out and replaced it with solid black.

Good catch regarding the pub and serving champagne during prohibition. That never occurred to me before. The game does have a serious story but takes a very tongue-in-cheek approach, which does take getting used to. I personally love the combination of tones - it struck a unique balance that I've never really seen replicated. Hope you have fun!

(I almost chose Fanatically Happy Party-Goer as my username, but it seemed a bit long and overenthusiastic :) )
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:So I started my playthrough earlier this week. First, a problem. When I try to restore a game during Act 2, I get an Oops error and the game quits. This first time I thought it was an unlucky glitch, but it just happened again. Is there a way to fix my saved game, or are there places which are safe/unsafe to save? I did a quick search and couldn't find much help. I am running the CD version that came bundled with the King's Quest Collection (1997) on DOSBox.
Try uploading the save game to this thread - I can see if I can duplicate the error - or move into another room - save, and upload - and see if you get the error (if I don't).
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Good catch regarding the pub and serving champagne during prohibition. That never occurred to me before. The game does have a serious story but takes a very tongue-in-cheek approach, which does take getting used to. I personally love the combination of tones - it struck a unique balance that I've never really seen replicated. Hope you have fun!
Indeed good catch about the drinks... and yes, as Semi said - the humor is very tongue in cheek - and I think that's because they didn't want to make it "serious" because they were anticipating kids would be playing this (possibly with parents to help them along). I don't think Sierra games took a serious, dark look at things until Phantasmagoria ...
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Thanks for the help. I've attached my saves. I have the script code patch already installed (http://reocities.com/belzorash/).

As for the humor, I don't have a problem with it in principle. I just don't think it quite works all the time.
Attachments
LB2_saves.zip
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:Thanks for the help. I've attached my saves. I have the script code patch already installed (http://reocities.com/belzorash/).

As for the humor, I don't have a problem with it in principle. I just don't think it quite works all the time.
I applied NewRisingSun's patch... but sadly get this error when I try to restore... which means you're playing a different VER of Laura Bow 2 than I have...
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote:
notbobsmith wrote:Thanks for the help. I've attached my saves. I have the script code patch already installed (http://reocities.com/belzorash/).

I applied NewRisingSun's patch... but sadly get this error when I try to restore... which means you're playing a different VER of Laura Bow 2 than I have...
Thanks for checking. I couldn't find the interpreter # when I click the Sierra icon. It only says version 1.1. In the meantime, it seems that I can safely save and restore in the gift shop.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

If you used the SHP installer there is no need to apply the NRS patch. As to version, check the VERSION file.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Collector wrote:If you used the SHP installer there is no need to apply the NRS patch. As to version, check the VERSION file.
The version is indeed 1.1. I installed the game and the patch manually. I thought I would try the installer, but it gave me an error about insufficient resources and then my virus scan quarantined it. I should be all set though, right? The installer won't give me a different version than what I already have, right?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:then my virus scan quarantined it.
That's a false positive though. If you disable it to install the SHP installer, you should be good with installing it that way (if it does give you issues later using NRS installer).
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I tried using the installer, and I don't think it recognizes the King's Quest Collection CD as a Dagger of Amon Ra CD, so it doesn't copy the files off the CD. I don't think I need to use the installer anyway though. If all it does is copy the files from the CD and copy the patch files, it basically does the same thing that I did manually.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

That is because the layout is different. You have to use the King's Quest Collection installer. http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ollections
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I've run into a little snag in Act 5:

I am being chased by the guy. I've entered the armor room and barricaded the door behind me. There's a chair now next to the looked door which I can use to open the transom window. I get the feeling that I am supposed to enter through the window, but I can't do it. If I click it with the hand icon, it closes again. When I use walk, I end up moving somewhere else. So am I supposed to enter the room through the transom and am I just missing the sweet spot to click? Or am I supposed to be doing something else entirely?

Thanks for the help. Minimal spoilers if at all possible. This spot is a little frustrating if all I am missing is the right spot to click.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Confuse your assailant a little. The transom is out of your reach.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Just finished The Dagger of Amon Ra. I did end up having to cheat a little. I was stuck near the end of Act 5 only to find out I had missed the smelling salts at the end of Act 4. I’m not sure how I missed that. And then I had to go back again because I used all of my snake oil in Olympia’s office. Grrr. At least I figured that one out for myself. Overall, it was a pretty good game. It fit the mold of a traditional adventure game, but kept some of the elements of Colonel’s Bequest. I’m still a little unsure of the ending. I finished Act 5 with “A little more effort and you could be the best investigative reporter…”, so I think I found almost everything, but when I had to answer the coroner’s questions I’m not sure it all fit together. I’m not sure if the evidence supports the conclusions about the murderer. There are a lot of red herrings and the only really conclusive thing was at the end when a victim says the killer’s name. The problem is that this was a cutscene and you weren’t there when it happened. The coroner’s inquest is actually a pretty clever way of evaluating your performance; you get rewarded for parts of the mystery you solved. It’s more interesting than a simple points system. That said I don’t think the implementation was done quite right here since it doesn’t feel like I completely solved the mystery. Maybe I missed a few things. Next is my replay with a walkthrough.

Other thoughts: the voice acting was pretty good for non-professionals. “Buy Sierra Products” :) I did like the atmosphere in Colonel’s Bequest more and it was a bit of a stretch that no one could leave the museum. I had fun, but I don’t think it’s quite there with what a game like this could be.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:Just finished The Dagger of Amon Ra. I did end up having to cheat a little. I was stuck near the end of Act 5 only to find out I had missed the smelling salts at the end of Act 4. I’m not sure how I missed that. And then I had to go back again because I used all of my snake oil in Olympia’s office. Grrr. At least I figured that one out for myself. Overall, it was a pretty good game. It fit the mold of a traditional adventure game, but kept some of the elements of Colonel’s Bequest. I’m still a little unsure of the ending. I finished Act 5 with “A little more effort and you could be the best investigative reporter…”, so I think I found almost everything, but when I had to answer the coroner’s questions I’m not sure it all fit together. I’m not sure if the evidence supports the conclusions about the murderer. There are a lot of red herrings and the only really conclusive thing was at the end when a victim says the killer’s name. The problem is that this was a cutscene and you weren’t there when it happened. The coroner’s inquest is actually a pretty clever way of evaluating your performance; you get rewarded for parts of the mystery you solved. It’s more interesting than a simple points system. That said I don’t think the implementation was done quite right here since it doesn’t feel like I completely solved the mystery. Maybe I missed a few things. Next is my replay with a walkthrough.

Other thoughts: the voice acting was pretty good for non-professionals. “Buy Sierra Products” :) I did like the atmosphere in Colonel’s Bequest more and it was a bit of a stretch that no one could leave the museum. I had fun, but I don’t think it’s quite there with what a game like this could be.
It's funny because, I've beat LB2 several times (last time was in 2015). (Although, I swear that was only 6 months ago... crazy!) I am not entirely sure I understand LB2's ending - or how it all comes together. (I might be missing things, and thus clues that might have pieced it all together). But I feel like LB1 was a much better feeling with the setting and much easier to believe and understand (even if you missed things).

Return to “The Laura Bow Games”