My Phantasmagoria playthrough

Feeling like you're being haunted? Well, if you look in here, you may find (or at least post for some help!) the answers you're looking for - for the Phantasmagoria games!
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Re: My Phantasmagoria playthrough

Post by Qbix »

Where is the general store located ?
I couldn't get the audio to fail at my place with your savegame :(
Thanks for giving 75000 cycles a try.

Which dialog in gabriel knight or in general ?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Qbix wrote:Where is the general store located ?
I couldn't get the audio to fail at my place with your savegame :(
Thanks for giving 75000 cycles a try.

Which dialog in gabriel knight or in general ?
In my savegame, you are standing right outside the general store. After you go in, speak with the man. Then pay for the drain cleaner with the $5 in the inventory. During one of those conversations, the audio usually drops out at least once. It can happen anytime the camera angle changes. It seems to be less common with cycles set to max.

The popping noise in GK seems to be in general. I tried it again just now. It's not as common as I remember, but the audio does pop every once in a while. This is a pretty good example of what is happening. I'm not sure what is wrong with the video, but you can hear the pops starting at around 1:45. (not my video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj_dctkpd5o
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Some audio issues with SCI games can be fixed by switching to Thunderboard from SB, but this does not seem to work as consistently with later SCI games. It does not work at all for RAMA.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Someone is reporting issues with audio for GK2 also.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So I made it to chapter 7 and started "the chase". At some point I quit and found that my savegame was gone! At first I was angry because it only keeps one save and I don't have a backup except for the one I posted here, but then I remembered that you could choose which chapter to start on. So I chose chapter 7, only I noticed that I was missing an item: the crucifix from the antique store. So my question is, can I win the game by starting with chapter 7? I seem to be reaching a dead end (I'm in the room with Carno's remains). I think I'm supposed to do the stuff that Malcolm mentions, but I don't think I can without the crucifix. I've gone back to Chapter 6, but now I'm not sure what the game considers "done". I spoke to Lou like I never spoke to her before and I'm not sure what I need to do now to complete Chapter 6 despite having just completed it. No spoilers, please, if necessary. I'm just wondering if it is possible the game can break in Chapter 7.

Note: I think I ended up forcing DOSBox to quit and the menu option to continue with the chase never appeared. I think I ended up corrupting my save.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You'll need a holy item for the ceremony. You can get one in the house (look and you'll find), even during the chase, but once you are in the room with Carno's remains it's too late.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So I just finished Phantasmagoria. It was pretty good. Maybe better than I expected. The game itself was relatively easy. After Chapter 1, I breezed through 2 through 6 fairly quickly. The story was somewhat generic and predictable, but executed well enough to be interesting. Performances were pretty good considering the quality of FMV acting at the time, although Don went way over the top at the end. Speaking of over the top, the gore was a bit much and became kind of cheesy.
BBP wrote:You'll need a holy item for the ceremony. You can get one in the house (look and you'll find), even during the chase, but once you are in the room with Carno's remains it's too late.
I did manage to find it, thank you. Though I am a bit confused. Once you grab the book, Don catches you. So how do you do anything after that? What if you are missing the ornament too? I had a problem with Chapter 7 in general. Deleting the save game is not cool. I went from having things mostly figured out to either having to start earlier (and when I tried going back to Chapter 6, I ended up being a little stuck not knowing what I was missing) or having to find the alternative by starting Chapter 7 from scratch. The other problem is that you still have to go through the whole chase sequence even when you are missing something. You end up in a dead end and not realize it and have to keep watching the same cutscenes over and over.

A nice touch from a technical standpoint was having Adrienne walk just a few step in the direction you want to go, and then have the scene change. It saved a lot of time and the tedium of watching the character walk across the entire screen.

Now… regarding the infamous scene. I see why people have a problem with it and I didn’t like it either. The biggest problem is that there are no consequences afterwards. She goes on as if nothing happened. It really could have been left out without changing anything.

Adrienne and the realtor never met, so did Don really buy the place without Adrienne’s knowledge/permission?

So that was fun. Horror is not usually my genre. I got this from GOG when it was on sale since it was well known, but I overall enjoyed it. I’m debating whether or not to do a second playthrough. I think I found most everything already. I skimmed some walkthroughs and found that during the chase you can find the bodies of Harriet and Cyrus, but I’m still not sure how you can do that and still win.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You can run out of the darkroom and return later to get the book.
In all places where you can pick up an item, you'll have to use a weapon against your defense. In a few of these rooms you can or must hide in order to use them. You can only use said weapon once in that room. The game's definitely worth replaying just to have fun during the chase. You can also find the bodies of Harriet, Cyrus and Mike (phone repair guy) during the chase. Mike is a bit nervewrecking since you'll have to walk towards Don for it, but you'll make it.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

BBP wrote:You can run out of the darkroom and return later to get the book.
In all places where you can pick up an item, you'll have to use a weapon against your defense. In a few of these rooms you can or must hide in order to use them. You can only use said weapon once in that room. The game's definitely worth replaying just to have fun during the chase. You can also find the bodies of Harriet, Cyrus and Mike (phone repair guy) during the chase. Mike is a bit nervewrecking since you'll have to walk towards Don for it, but you'll make it.
Interesting. I guess I'll give it a try.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: So I just finished Phantasmagoria. It was pretty good. Maybe better than I expected. The game itself was relatively easy. After Chapter 1, I breezed through 2 through 6 fairly quickly. The story was somewhat generic and predictable, but executed well enough to be interesting. Performances were pretty good considering the quality of FMV acting at the time, although Don went way over the top at the end. Speaking of over the top, the gore was a bit much and became kind of cheesy.
While, Don does go over the top - I think it's a progression, where you see him changing (and the other things he does) - that shows, he's finally... broken by the end, and simply gone.
notbobsmith wrote: A nice touch from a technical standpoint was having Adrienne walk just a few step in the direction you want to go, and then have the scene change. It saved a lot of time and the tedium of watching the character walk across the entire screen.
It's the same thing they did with GK2 as well.
notbobsmith wrote: Now… regarding the infamous scene. I see why people have a problem with it and I didn’t like it either. The biggest problem is that there are no consequences afterwards. She goes on as if nothing happened. It really could have been left out without changing anything.
My thought was - it happens to show that Don is clearly changing and being affected. And the fact that nothing happens as a consequence is... was... normal back then. Especially when it's your own spouse who rapes you. I doubt in most cases, such instances were reported. They could have done something - where she does report it - and the cops show up and blow it off, as him getting a "little rough" or something like that - but I think the key was to show that Don's character was changing, for the worse.
notbobsmith wrote: So that was fun. Horror is not usually my genre. I got this from GOG when it was on sale since it was well known, but I overall enjoyed it. I’m debating whether or not to do a second playthrough. I think I found most everything already. I skimmed some walkthroughs and found that during the chase you can find the bodies of Harriet and Cyrus, but I’m still not sure how you can do that and still win.
I don't think on any play through I've ever done, I've found the bodies of Harriet or Cyrus. So that's interesting to hear, if it is possible.

Phantasmagoria is one of those games, where there's not a lot of "replay value" for the sake of you might have missed something. I feel like everything is there, and is required, in order to beat the game - unless there is a way to find Harriet or Cyrus' body - and still win. I can see finding their bodies, and not being able to win (like you make a wrong turn into a room and find their body, but then Don catches you, or something).
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Tawm dude! Play through the chase! Best part of the game! Start chapter 7, get the hammer and poker, walk in the darkroom and grab everything with Don hot on your tail!

Chase Hints For More Fun:
During the chase you have a more or less linear path with a fork at the ground floor secret passage.
During the chase you can pick up all items you need, provided you have both the Hammer and the Poker. Shard can also be a weapon.
Shard is needed to draw blood. If you have the other item you need to draw blood, you won't pick up the shard, but you can use it.
At each of the 4 locations where you can pick up an item, you can use all three weapons on Don, but only one will work, and only the first time. You will also lose the weapon afterwards except the shard since you need that. There's one location where you'll have to improvise a weapon.
Attacking bare-hand is also usually an option but it never works.

Cyrus can be found as you are on your way to the crypt.
Harriet is at the theatre
For Mike you need to pull the lever to Mary's room in the secret passage.
Miscellaneous actions are: hiding in Mary's sarcophagus at the crypt, hiding behind the couch in the conservatory (lethal), going to the front door.
For the throne of terror you can use Bare Hand or the three weapons before and after snowman for extra fun.
Of course waiting it out is always an option...
Skip to new scripts
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote:
notbobsmith wrote: So I just finished Phantasmagoria. It was pretty good. Maybe better than I expected. The game itself was relatively easy. After Chapter 1, I breezed through 2 through 6 fairly quickly. The story was somewhat generic and predictable, but executed well enough to be interesting. Performances were pretty good considering the quality of FMV acting at the time, although Don went way over the top at the end. Speaking of over the top, the gore was a bit much and became kind of cheesy.
While, Don does go over the top - I think it's a progression, where you see him changing (and the other things he does) - that shows, he's finally... broken by the end, and simply gone.
For me it's one of those cases where less is more. It's hard to take Don seriously or get any sense of menace when he's practically bouncing off the walls.
Tawmis wrote:
notbobsmith wrote: Now… regarding the infamous scene. I see why people have a problem with it and I didn’t like it either. The biggest problem is that there are no consequences afterwards. She goes on as if nothing happened. It really could have been left out without changing anything.
My thought was - it happens to show that Don is clearly changing and being affected. And the fact that nothing happens as a consequence is... was... normal back then. Especially when it's your own spouse who rapes you. I doubt in most cases, such instances were reported. They could have done something - where she does report it - and the cops show up and blow it off, as him getting a "little rough" or something like that - but I think the key was to show that Don's character was changing, for the worse.
The thing is we don't really see any change from Adrienne. Practically the next scene is Adrienne talking to Harriet about housekeeping like nothing happened. In subsequent encounters with Don, she expresses some anger and frustration, but more from him being a jerk. When he's passed out on the couch, her demeanor is more "I'm fed up with this." She's not enraged or fearful of him which would be reasonable responses. Part of the problem may be having to deal with a non-linear narrative, but if you can't handle subject matter like this properly, it's best not to do it at all. If the scene had been cut from the game, would you notice anything missing?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: The thing is we don't really see any change from Adrienne. Practically the next scene is Adrienne talking to Harriet about housekeeping like nothing happened. In subsequent encounters with Don, she expresses some anger and frustration, but more from him being a jerk. When he's passed out on the couch, her demeanor is more "I'm fed up with this." She's not enraged or fearful of him which would be reasonable responses. Part of the problem may be having to deal with a non-linear narrative, but if you can't handle subject matter like this properly, it's best not to do it at all. If the scene had been cut from the game, would you notice anything missing?
I wouldn't have noticed it was missing, no. But - that scene was the "Oh #$%^!" moment - where I was like, "This dude's gone full darkside..."
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Tawm dude! Play through the chase! Best part of the game! Start chapter 7, get the hammer and poker, walk in the darkroom and grab everything with Don hot on your tail!

During the chase you have a more or less linear path with a fork at the ground floor secret passage.
During the chase you can pick up all items you need, provided you have both the Hammer and the Poker. Shard can also be a weapon.
Shard is needed to draw blood. If you have the other item you need to draw blood, you won't pick up the shard, but you can use it.
At each of the 4 locations where you can pick up an item, you can use all three weapons on Don, but only one will work, and only the first time. You will also lose the weapon afterwards except the shard since you need that. There's one location where you'll have to improvise a weapon.

Miscellaneous actions are: hiding in Mary's sarcophagus at the crypt, hiding behind the couch in the conservatory (lethal), going to the front door.
For the throne of terror you can use Bare Hand or the three weapons before and after snowman for extra fun.
I will need to replay this (whenever I eventually get back to my "Let's Play Sierra Games") - maybe I have seen some bodies - but certainly not more than two, if at all.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

BBP wrote:Tawm dude! Play through the chase! Best part of the game! Start chapter 7, get the hammer and poker, walk in the darkroom and grab everything with Don hot on your tail!

So I finished my second playthrough with the aid of a walkthrough and managed to find a few extra bits here and there. And I replayed the chase which is actually kind of fun! Although I think it is only possible to find all three bodies and win if you are missing all three items. I had the crucifix from the antique store. When the chase starts, I grab the glass, grab the book and then enter the hidden passages. I tried going to the crypt to find Cyrus (which I don't need to do because I already have a crucifix) and knock out Don. But he grabs me when I try to reenter the secret passage. He's already inside the passages. I guess he can teleport. I tried starting a new game at Chapter 7 where I am missing the crucifix and this does not happen. I then tried glass-book-ornament but he grabs me before I can hide because I have all three items at this point. So I can only find 2 out of 3 bodies with my playthrough. I guess I can try changing the order to see if that changes anything. Otherwise the chase is pretty creative. My natural instinct when confronted with something like this is to restore before the chase starts and explore the house more. I wonder if that was why they deleted the save once you start. You are stuck with what you have, there is a solution, you just have to find it. It's clever in a way but still kind of evil.

Return to “The Phantasmagoria Games”