BBP vs Phantasmagoria!

Feeling like you're being haunted? Well, if you look in here, you may find (or at least post for some help!) the answers you're looking for - for the Phantasmagoria games!
BBP
Village Elder

BBP vs Phantasmagoria!

Post by BBP »

Well, not in the sense of doing a playthrough, but I had such a blast - I watched every single VMD and RBT-file in order to make the script and even compiled a huge list of what RBT is part of what... and that is so tricky with the chase...

Aaanyway I found a lot of neat little gems but here's one I wanted to share:

Best night shot on the disk and it's not in the game. :geek:

Also: I don't think this lady's in the game. There are several view files of her reading a magazine, I wonder if it's leftover placeholder, and I wonder who it is!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: BBP vs Phantasmagoria!

Post by Tawmis »

That first shot looks like it should be in SHIVERS or MYST.

The second, looks like Audry, but longer/blonder hair. Wonder if it was just a blue screen test?
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Nice night shot, but a bit of a weird size 400x202. Are most backgrounds that size ?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

That is just the pic resource. It fits inside the interface. Here is a screen capture with the interface.
Attachments
sierra_000.png
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

What I found a bit disappointing in Phantas is how poor the night settings look - it's such a great opportunity to make an atmospheric setting but other than the occasional colour change you barely notice it's night.
Seeing them next to each other it's funny how they don't line up either, Marie's bedroom door lowers magically and her portrait changes position, for instance. '

SierraChest is a wealth of information too, Rudy uploaded some great trailers and behind the scenes footage.

There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I'm currently battling Phantas. The chase. Here's what happened:

I was going for the full-length chase (as in, get all items with Don hot on your heels) but I forgot I had traded the cameo for the crucifix already. After leaving Don in the darkroom I went to the nursery where I picked up the shard and stabbed him with it, then through the conservatory to the secret passage. I couldn't find the cursor to go to the theatre quickly enough and quickly went to the chapel and on to the crypt. In the crypt there were no rosary beads to pick up, but when Don came I pushed the gargoyle on him.Adrienne then automatically goes back to the chapel. I definitely went towards the theatre passage - but Don ambushed and caught me! WTF?

I'll have to check the savegame I have now (I understand it autosaves during the chase) - I can't go back to the crypt now that the gargoyle is gone and I can't go to the theatre because Don's waiting for me in the secret passage.

Phantas being Phantas I can replay the video evidence as often as I like but that was weird...
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Sooo once again I went trigger happy.
I made a ZIP file of all the things I made yesterday and then it took more than an hour to save them to a zip file. Including a little present for Tawm! :D

It's a whopping 242 MB so I uploaded it to my Google drive:
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Today I noticed I didn't have any good throne of terror death screenshots so I made a second batch - only 6 of them but all splat!
Attachments
sierra_2558.zip
(476.43 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 pm I made a ZIP file of all the things I made yesterday and then it took more than an hour to save them to a zip file. Including a little present for Tawm! :D
You have my attention. Downloading now. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 pm I made a ZIP file of all the things I made yesterday and then it took more than an hour to save them to a zip file. Including a little present for Tawm! :D
Hahah! I swear I don't remember that scene!
:lol:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

It does take a bit to activate it - first Harriet appears in the kitchen, then the hall by the door, then the library, then Don and Adrienne's bedroom, then the bathroom. You can give her the tarot cards or ask her about the greenhouse in every scene. After that you can visit her and Cyrus in the barn, with Cyrus dissecting a squirrel. The scenes get increasingly funny, it's also great to watch her struggle with the dustbuster.

There's also video of Adrienne giving the tarot cards to Cyrus in day 5 in what I presume is the hall.

Watching all the RBT files really made me appreciate the acting work. It must've been hard on them with literally nothing to work with.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Currently I'm battling Phantasmagoria 2 - A Puzzle Of Flesh.

It's been so long since I last played this game that I don't remember what to do at the point I'm currently at: Day 2, I've found the note with the three words and the button and the memo on the board, but I'm not sure what I can do now. Besides random clicking.
After the SquirtTheCat installer failed on me I went with Collector's DOSBox installer, which is running fine, except for a nasty peep in the left channel of which I'm trying to figure out if it's in the DUK files, in the game or in my ears.
Also I've noticed that instead of hearing audio files (like, calling Bob on the first day gives you "yeah right, like I want to call the king of the assholes"), the text appears onscreen, see screenshot. Is that normal for the DOS version?
I can't even recall if I played Phantas 2 on this computer or just the files in SCI Viewer... last I recall is playing it on Dino.

And Trevor's awesome.
Attachments
sierra_530.png
Skip to new scripts
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Maybe the audio driver influences things ? (the in resource.cfg) ( I recall there being 2 that work, but one works better ? (at least in general for sierra games, not sure about this one in particular. @collector might know what I am talking about. (thunderboard or so))
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Yes, switching to thunderboard for digital sound is an old trick for SCI games with noisy SoundBlaster audio. Phant2 does not ship with the thunderboard driver. I just tested it with the thunderboard driver from RAMA and it seems to work. If you have RAMA just drop a copy of the driver in your Phant2 install and edit the resource.cfg to use that driver instead of the DACBLAST.DRV.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Phantas 2 sure has a lot of shout-outs. I catalogued some of them. Weird thing is that almost all unseen Wyntech employees are named after famous killers - except three, Aileen Wooley, Fionnula Jeter and Andrei Carboni. I wonder where these names come from.

Joe Kallinger (The Shoemaker, serial killer, active 1974-1975, 3 victims. Murdered his own son for insurance money and went on a robbing/torture/sexual abuse spree with another son.)

Clarence Starkweather (Serial killer active 1957-1958, 11 victims), was on a two month killing roadtrip with 14-year-old girlfriend Caril Ann Fugate.

Des Nilsen (Dennis Nilsen, Muswell Hill Murderer, active 1978-1983, serial killer and necrophile, 12-15 victims)

Fritz Haarmann (Butcher of Hannover, active 1918-1924, sexual assault, mutilation, murder and dismemberment of at least 24 boys and young men.

Edward Gein (Butcher of Plainfield, murderer and body snatcher, active 1954-1957, 2 victims)

Peter Sutcliffe (Yorkshire Ripper, active 1975-1980, 13 victims)
(employees)

Hecatomb monologue:
Josef Mengele (Nazi doctor)
Albert Fish (The Gray Man, active 1924-1932, serial killer and mutilator. 3 confirmed victims, possible 9 to 100)
Hotel Terminus (the hotel where Klaus Barbie "The Butcher Of Lyon" spearheaded the deportation of resistance fighters during WW2 in Vichy-France. He personally tortured prisoners and is held responsible for the deportation and death of approximately 14,000 people

E-mail from Hell re Career Opportunities:
Ted Bundy (serial killer, active 1974-1978, victims 30 confessed. )

Jeffrey Dahmer (Milwaukee Cannibal, serial killer, cannibal and necrophile, active 1978-1991, 17 victims)

Hitler
Stalin

E-mail Threshold Energy Fluctuations
Puaka Balava - Fiji term meaning "human being eaten as food"

Douglas Clark Sanitarium (one of the Sunset Strip Killers with Carol M Bundy, active 1980, 6+ victims)

Bob Arnold's memorial is at the Alfred Packer Chapel and Mortuary (Colorado Cannibal, was caught in the snow in 1874 with his travel group of 6 men at the San Juan mountains, but came back alone. He has confessed to eating their flesh but if they were murdered or not is up for debate.)

goldmine.doc
Wm Kemmler (Murdered his wife in 1888, first person to die on the electric chair)

J.G. Haigh (Acid Bath Murderer, active 1944-1949, 6-9 victims)
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:41 pm Phantas 2 sure has a lot of shout-outs. I catalogued some of them. Weird thing is that almost all unseen Wyntech employees are named after famous killers - except three, Aileen Wooley, Fionnula Jeter and Andrei Carboni. I wonder where these names come from.
Aileen Wuornos is noted as the first female serial killer. So the first name for Aileen Wooley could be referencing her.
An actress named Fionnghuala Manon "Fionnula" Flanagan appeared frequently on the show "Murder, She Wrote" - again, perhaps just using the first name as a reference.
The third - too common to try and figure out if it's some kind of reference to someone? I mean, an actor named "Mario Carboni" appeared on Murder, She Wrote. But that seems more of a stretch then the previous two. :lol:

Return to “The Phantasmagoria Games”