BBP vs Phantasmagoria!

Feeling like you're being haunted? Well, if you look in here, you may find (or at least post for some help!) the answers you're looking for - for the Phantasmagoria games!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: BBP vs Phantasmagoria!

Post by Collector »

Sounds like the kinds of details that Lorelei would toss in. These would be great to have added to the trivia for the game on the Wiki. http://wiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?ti ... isc#Trivia
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Digging through the game files I couldn't find the one Notbobsmith refers to (the one in Chap 1 that is supposed to be in black & white) but there is one weird duck on disk 1: it's called 6230.DUK and shows Curtis in the network room, jumbling computer wires under the desk and ooze coming out of the socket. Sound familiar?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Sooo I replayed the game - not to play "is it in or not" since watching the DUKs was easy enough, but to try to get all the easter eggs and to make screenshots.

In the "is it in" quest I found that the reference to Hotel Terminus is not ingame - if I hadn't made the script, I wouldn't have known there was a Nazi war criminal whose last name is Barbie.

Oddly the game doesn't allow some things - in chapter 5 you may not leave your home unless you called Dr Harburg (which is a bit of a pointless addition to the game come to think of it), for instance. What was annoying on my 2nd playthrough was I couldn't show Therese's letter to the pit guard until talking to her, so I couldn't activate the Whipme easter egg. Also, after battling Wynvade (the Space Invaders in Trevor's account that you must beat for an easter egg within the easter egg) I didn't get the egg, it tossed me out as if I'd lost. Consequently I didn't get full score for the easter eggs. Beh.

But the worst surprise came at the end. When I was so glad I finally had the console thing going and written down in a way I can understand, and that I was finally done with that bloody thing, I went to the Capture folder... and it turned out the game hadn't saved any of my screenshots!!. Only the few screenshots I have made of my first playthrough were saved, but none of the others. :Furious:
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

I am sorry to hear that.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:46 pm But the worst surprise came at the end. When I was so glad I finally had the console thing going and written down in a way I can understand, and that I was finally done with that bloody thing, I went to the Capture folder... and it turned out the game hadn't saved any of my screenshots!!. Only the few screenshots I have made of my first playthrough were saved, but none of the others. :Furious:
So, something I do when I record/film Neverwinter Nights for my video series; on one screen I have the game; on my other monitor I have the folder open showing my capture folder.

So if you have dual screens, have one running your game; the other one with the folder open where the screenshots should appear. The folder should show the screenshots being "saved" as they are taken.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You can take screenshots with DOSBox by pressing ctrl-F5. That's the secret code I also used for all the screenshots I made of among others SQ2, SQ3, Phantas 1, the stint where I had a mini Gabriel, and a whole bunch of "great game accomplishments" . These screen shots automatically have the right aspect ratio, which is why Collector requested them while I was playing SQ3 (and why I made so many of them). I don't know why the game chose not to save them, will play around a bit...
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:18 am You can take screenshots with DOSBox by pressing ctrl-F5. That's the secret code I also used for all the screenshots I made of among others SQ2, SQ3, Phantas 1, the stint where I had a mini Gabriel, and a whole bunch of "great game accomplishments" . These screen shots automatically have the right aspect ratio, which is why Collector requested them while I was playing SQ3 (and why I made so many of them). I don't know why the game chose not to save them, will play around a bit...
Oh, I know how screenshots in DOSBox work. Was saying, if you have dual monitors open the folder where the screenshots are autosaved. So that way when you press CONTROL-F5, you will know immediately if the screenshot was made.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Turns out there is a firstrun.conf which states the screenshots should be saved to the AppData folder all the other screenshots go to. The dosbox.conf file however specified a different folder that didn't exist, and that wasn't being created either because it doesn't work with "quotes" in the name.

Changed that and now I finally have a file with a screenshot of the puzzle. Now to muster the energy to play the game again... :D
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

From the Runbox (Windows Key + R) type:

%LocalAppData%\DOSBox\capture

and click OK.

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I think you misunderstood me... I have no problem finding the screenshots DOSBox makes. :)

In the PS2 directory, there are 2 conf files. One is called dosbox.conf and the other is firstrun.conf.
In firstrun.conf there is the following line:

Code: Select all

captures= C:\Users\Bonny\AppData\Local\DOSBox\capture
which links to where my captures are usually stored.

In dosbox.conf however there was this line:

Code: Select all

captures= "DOSBox Captures"
If you put any directory in there that doesn't exist yet, it will make a new directory by that name. Except when you use quotation marks. Because there are quotation marks in the line no directory could be made, and consequently, no screenshot was saved.

I sure wish I checked that earlier... :D
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

OK, this is an old bug that I thought I had fixed, but I guess I missed a few scripts.

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

OK so I just replayed the game, still couldn't get the easter eggs "whipme" and "wynvade" because the game wouldn't let me. I also struggled and failed to find the 3rd disk network room video (with the monitors) , I'd omitted printing the graph in chapter 5 but that's no hindrance to complete the game, and I think I missed a death scene in the alien world. Other than that here's all screenshots I made.

If I ever see this game again, it'll be too soon.

Remaining thoughts: I found 2 further references - Curtis works on the Sagawa document (Issei Sagawa, murdered and cannibalised a Dutch woman in 1981, was found insane by the French and thus the charges were dropped and he was deported to Japan, but in Japan the doctors found he was sane, and since there were no charges he was, and is still, free to roam and give lectures about eating people. He even was a restaurant critic for a magazine.) and there's a Donner building which likely refers a certain party.
Attachments
ph2.zip
(87.41 MiB) Downloaded 413 times
Skip to new scripts

Return to “The Phantasmagoria Games”