The Music Thread.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

The Music Thread.

Post by Tawmis »

There's a lot of artists out there, musically, that I will follow (or try to) - based on how much I enjoy them.

For example, David Glen Eisley is a vocalist I heard with a band called Giuffria. Along comes Gene Simmons (of KISS), tells them to punt him, get a new vocalist, and call yourself House of Lords. Well, House of Lords wasn't bad - but I liked David's voice - discovered he was in several other bands (Sorcery, Dirty White Boy, and released some solo stuff). I've actually picked most of it up and enjoyed it.

Today, I was on a site called Blabbermouth (where they post "Metal" news of all kinds [thrash, heavy, glam, death, nu, etc.]) - and a band called Vicious Rumors, which I used to love had a new album out. Gave their video a listen - and couldn't stand it. It's utter rubbish (and that's being polite). So that got me looking up old Vicious Rumors - and namely the singer - who I learned had died in an automobile accident many years ago. But that led me to finding out he sang for a band called "Ruffians" and "Villains" before that. I actually found the "Villains" EP on Youtube - and it's really good for it's time. Not found the Ruffians stuff (yet, but I am sure it's out there). Youtube has managed to help me find a lot of old albums I used to have on cassette (like a band called "Eden" and "Drive" to name a few - who for the life of me, couldn't remember the name of the band or the songs - just the chorus - and there's so many bands out there with similar song titles).

But by listening to the band "Villains" - it went into a band called "Fortress" (both Villains and Fortress only ever released limited edition demo releases on cassette so these are folks who converted them into Mp3) - and the band Fortress is fun because it reminds me a lot of Ratt meets Judas Priest.

Are there any bands or musicians you "discovered" or "rediscovered" through Youtube or other sources (Wikipdia) - that tied to a specific artist/band you were a fan of?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The Music Thread.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Didn't "discover" them by through YouTube or Wikipedia, but by word of mouth. Flanders and Swann. ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hm this reminds me of a very fun thread that was nipped in the bud. There's tons, literally. Most recently Postmodern Jukebox thanks to Rath, but back in the day Youtube was remotely useful I found:
(That was when I was looking for another Peter Lucas - this being a Sierra crowd you may know which one :D )

Miaskovsky's Sonata for Cello and Piano:

Stary Olsa covering Child In Time:

I think I'll leave the rest for that music that influenced you thread.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:58 am ...Most recently Postmodern Jukebox thanks to Rath...
I'm sorry, I'm confused. When did I recommend Postmodern Jukebox? I don't even know what that is.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh, of course! *thumps forehead* D'oh!

That was 3 months ago, though. 3 months is a long time on the interwebz. :P It was long enough, in fact, for me to finish my last story and start planning the next one. </shameless plug> ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am so excited if this all happens.

Kal Swan sang for a band called LION - which I absolutely loved. They went on to reform as BAD MOON RISING and change their music a bit, but still good. After BAD MOON RISING, Kal left the music scene (early 2000's) and just vanished. Doug Aldrich (one of my favorite living guitarists) went on to work with the likes of DIO and WHITESNAKE and a number of other notable bands.

Well, someone replied to a youtube video I have of Kal Swan and Doug Aldrich jamming out from eons ago and mentioned Doug had recently said Kal was going to do some new music. I doubted it, because I google Kal Swan every few months to see if he pops up - and sure enough, October 2020 -

https://www.therockpit.net/2020/doug-al ... -and-lion/
As a long time fan of Doug’s band Lion I asked him if he still kept in touch with Kal?

Doug replied “It’s funny, I just had a catch up with Kal Swan, we live close but we have separate things going on. I’d seen him about two years ago when he came to a gig with Jerry Best and Mark Edwards, it was at a club in L.A. Mark actually put it together. Anyway he called me the other day and he said he’d had an offer from a company to make another record, and he’d been going through his stuff. He did quit music years ago, and so he’d packed up everything he had, and put it away when he got in to another aspect of the entertainment business.

Anyway he told me he’d pulled out all the old stuff, and all the old gear we used to record on, some stuff still worked, some stuff didn’t! He said he’d found a couple of things that he and I had been working on and he said he’d love to add them to his record that he as putting together, and I said of course, you’ve 100% got my blessing.

So, I’m really excited, he’s coming back!! He’s going to put something down, and then we talked about one day maybe getting together, and I said I was happy to play on anything if you need anything or whatever, but it’s just really cool, because he had that fire burnt out of him, he just couldn’t take the music business the way it was. We’d got so close with Lion and then it just fell apart, we had a little success with Bad Moon Rising, but never quite got there. But I’m so excited he’s in the process of doing something.”
And I bet, most of you have heard at least ONE song from LION... You just never knew it.

Seen the TRANSFORMERS animated movie from the 80s? Then yes, you heard LION.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: Yes, of course I remember the Transformers song from the 80s. I was a kid back then, but still. ;)

It's cool that Kal Swan is making a comeback. I remember Bad Moon Rising, even if I don't remember Lion.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:08 pm :lol: Yes, of course I remember the Transformers song from the 80s. I was a kid back then, but still. ;)
It's cool that Kal Swan is making a comeback. I remember Bad Moon Rising, even if I don't remember Lion.
Heh, well they only did the theme for the movie - not the cartoon series that was on TV. :)

Was cool reading the comments on the Transformers video, of how people still think it's the best song. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

While looking for something else - I came across this band called GLACIER who had been around since mid 80s to early 90s before calling it quits. Just came together again to put out a new album that sounds like classic heavy metal. Posting it here so I can come back and give it a full listen later.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: I just had the time to start listening to the "Transformers" theme song. Have you noticed how the drum solo at the beginning is almost the same as the one for this song? :) Not criticising, just found it an amusing coincidence. (Then again, maybe not a coincidence -- Transformers is from 1986, the "other song" is from 1987).

As for Glacier ... the album cover is very 80s heavy metal. It reminds me a little of Metallica, especially the font used on the cover of "Ride the Lightning".

The music itself also reminds me a little of Metallica. (80s heavy metal always reminds me of Metallica. Not sure why. Certainly not Guns 'n Roses, though). I've listened to the first track and it sounds good to me, though I can't understand some of the lyrics -- will have to look them up.

Question for you, Tawm: when I looked up Metallica on wiki, wiki defines them as "heavy metal". But when I look up Guns 'n Roses, wiki defines them as "hard rock". (I've heard them defined as "hair rock", too, but only people who don't like them say that).

Anyway, what's the difference between "heavy metal" and "hard rock"? *shrug* Is there a difference? Or is it just a matter of interpretation?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:45 am :lol: I just had the time to start listening to the "Transformers" theme song. Have you noticed how the drum solo at the beginning is almost the same as the one for this song? :) Not criticising, just found it an amusing coincidence. (Then again, maybe not a coincidence -- Transformers is from 1986, the "other song" is from 1987).
It's the other way around. George Harrison's song sounds like the Transformers one. Transformers theme was 1986, the George Harrison album was 1987.

So yes, the George Harrison song does sound like the Transformers song.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:45 am Question for you, Tawm: when I looked up Metallica on wiki, wiki defines them as "heavy metal". But when I look up Guns 'n Roses, wiki defines them as "hard rock". (I've heard them defined as "hair rock", too, but only people who don't like them say that).
Anyway, what's the difference between "heavy metal" and "hard rock"? *shrug* Is there a difference? Or is it just a matter of interpretation?
Depends on the "era" of the term.
So before, things like Bon Jovi were considered "hard rock" (more of a edgy "rock" sound) and things like Metallica were "heavy metal" (heavier sound than rock, thus "heavy" metal).

But that quickly changed where just about every "hard rock" became "heavy metal" and then bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Testament all got the titles of "thrash metal." And then there were bands like Slayer, Venom, etc, that got "Death Metal." Then the crazy bands (mostly Norwegian) created "Black Metal" which is all utter doom, gloom, growl, utterly stupid noise, more than music.

Eventually, as the "metal scene" fell apart, a lot of "heavy metal bands" (Bon Jovi, Skid Row, etc) got dubbed "Hair Metal" saying that they had no talent, only hair (which clearly not true, for cases such as Bon Jovi).

So the labels given to "the heavy metal" genre is an utter mess. (Because there's also progressive metal, nu metal, and other "labels" I don't even know anymore).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Were Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin ever "hard rock"? I've heard them classified as as "hard rock", too.

I agree that Bon Jovi has talent. Slash has enormous talent; I've listened to a little of what he'd done with his "Snakepit" (after his days with G'n'R), and it sounds good. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:28 am Hmm. Were Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin ever "hard rock"? I've heard them classified as as "hard rock", too.
I agree that Bon Jovi has talent. Slash has enormous talent; I've listened to a little of what he'd done with his "Snakepit" (after his days with G'n'R), and it sounds good. :)
I'd wager that Zepplin was probably "hard rock" back in the day, because prior to that, I think they considered Elvis "rock" - so Zepplin would have been a "hard rock" in comparison.

Per Wiki:

Hard rock or heavy rock is a loosely defined subgenre of rock music typified by a heavy use of aggressive vocals, distorted electric guitars, bass guitar, and drums, sometimes accompanied with keyboards. It began in the mid-1960s with the garage, psychedelic and blues rock movements. Hard rock developed into a major form of popular music in the 1970s, with bands such as the Who, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Kiss, Queen, AC/DC and Van Halen. During the 1980s, some hard rock bands moved away from their hard rock roots and more towards pop rock. Established bands made a comeback in the mid-1980s and hard rock reached a commercial peak in the 1980s, with glam metal bands such as Bon Jovi and Def Leppard and the rawer sounds of Guns N' Roses which followed up with great success in the later part of that decade.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Where would Pink Floyd be, then? Psychedelic rock?

I note that no-one has yet mentioned William Shatner's or Leonard Nimoy's attempts at music, back in the 60s. So I thought I would. ;) I haven't listened to Shatner's calypso, but I gather it's ... um ... not as good as it could be. Am I right?

I did listen to Nimoy's "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins", which I thought was hilarious. :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”