The Music Thread.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The Music Thread.

Post by Tawmis »

These guys have different singers come in and do covers with them...

And I just saw this one of Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again"...

And this dude is a great singer, if Whitesnake ever replaced David Coverdale (which they'd never do as Whitesnake IS David Coverdale...)

But his vocals are smooth like David's... I'd love to hear this guy cover other Whitesnake songs.

EDIT:
Nevermind. Went to his own channel and he's covered plenty of Whitesnake.

He performed with a legit band called STEEL PANTER doing Whitesnake's SLIDE IT IN (which fits Steel Panther's MO)...

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

This guy breaks down the original Transformers theme...

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huh. I never questioned the 'stutter' effect in the original theme, but I guess that's because I grew up with the 1984 Transformers. (Yeah, Mark 1). ;)

The Transformers 'movie theme' is very different, I agree. It is very 80s - lots of bass, drums, and giving the words "Transformers" and "Decepticons" longer notes - so it becomes "Transformeeeeeeeeeeeeeers" and "Decepticoooooooooooooooooooooons" etc. (Yep, 80s). But I couldn't stand the part where the video started blinking a lot. (Ugh).

I never realised how much there was to say about something as simple as this theme. Thanks, Tawm. :)

One of the coolest (or 'lamest', to use an 80s word) things about the original Transformers, IMNSHO, is how Starscream always betrays Megatron, and how Megatron always forgives Starscream (in his way). Without Starscream's constant backstabbing, the Transformers would never succeed. ;)

Another '80s thing about the original Transformers is the way that Optimus Prime's 'abdominal muscles' are so much bigger than his arms. (Yeesh). :shock: Yes, I know a lot of bodybuilders are like that (Ah-nold, anyone?), but it's definitely possible to exaggerate it to the point of absurdity.

Then again, this is an 80s cartoon I'm discussing. What am I thinking? :roll: @ self. Sorry *blush*
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

One of the more rhythmically complex Frank Zappa songs is Keep It Greasey. I know of people who have transcribed it but a quicker way to figure it out: ask Vinnie Colaiuta, the original drummer on the song. Funny how the shortened bar reminds me of that song.
Love how complex such inoccuous music was, especially since children's music appears to dumben down.

To celebrate more rhythmic crazy, here's the Pinball Song:
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Somehow I missed this one when there were all of the home concerts during the pandemic. Taylor Hawkins was a beast. And it is amazing how much Liv Warfield sounds like Ann Wilson.

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Holy #$%^..... Liv Warfield............... her first note, my jaw hit the floor.

Who does she sing for?!?!? Because - INSTANT. FAN.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:53 am This guy breaks down the original Transformers theme...

It's fun listing to a professional analyze something as musically unimportant as this, but I think I have to agree with some of the commenters that he is probably making a big deal out of something that has a simple explanation: the "stutter" is most likely the result of a splice in the recording. Sound editing is easily done now and can be done with a home computer. Editing back that meant actually cutting the tape. The stutter is probably a result of something being edited and being slightly off. It would be interesting if someone who did the recording of the original theme could weigh in.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

This should be familiar to anyone who ever had to share the house with teenagers. ;) It's also the Aussiest Aussie video that ever Aussied. :P

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Her voice. I mentioned Liliac before. But this is another magnificent cover.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

This is pretty cool.

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Leland Sklar's fantastic bass line from "Doctor My Eyes". He is using the same bass he originally used to create the track.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:21 am Leland Sklar's fantastic bass line from "Doctor My Eyes". He is using the same bass he originally used to create the track.
Three things.

1. Bass players rarely get the credit they deserve. He's pretty freaking amazing at how quickly he can move his hands on that fret.
2. He has a career as Santa Claus if he's ever bored.
3. The thing on the chair with the arm is very distracting. :lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:31 pm
Collector wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:21 am Leland Sklar's fantastic bass line from "Doctor My Eyes". He is using the same bass he originally used to create the track.
Three things.

1. Bass players rarely get the credit they deserve. He's pretty freaking amazing at how quickly he can move his hands on that fret.
2. He has a career as Santa Claus if he's ever bored.
3. The thing on the chair with the arm is very distracting. :lol:
Well ...

1. Leland Sklar has been living for a very, very long time, and has been playing bass since the 1970s. He's a living legend. :D He also lent his talents to over 2,000 albums, and recorded on many soundtracks for TV and movies. :shock:

2. Leland needs a longer beard to be Santa. :) Having said that, his picture here makes me think that he could easily play Saruman. :lol:

3. I agree. What is that thing on the chair? ;)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I thought this was pretty amusing. I think it takes a fair bit of skill to deliberately sing off-key:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”