Box Office Bust

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Box Office Bust

Post by DeadPoolX »

According to GameSpot's review of LSL:BOB, a 2.5 (out of 10 point scale) rating was the best it could muster. That's pretty damn bad. GameSpot also referred to the game as: "Mindless, repetitive gameplay and a truly atrocious sense of humor help Leisure Suit Larry live up to its name--it's a total bust."

Granted, GameSpot often seems to be less than enamored of the Adventure Games genre, but sometimes they're absolutely right. Unfortunately, most Adventure Games made today are terrible. There are a few decent standouts, but the majority fail in both storyline and production quality. It seems the newest LSL continues the trend.

Of course... calling LSL:BOB an Adventure Game might be too generous. From the looks of things, it resembles a very poorly made GTA. From what GameSpot says, the control, graphics, story and humor are all horrendous.

None of this surprises me, however. The newer LSL games have little-to-nothing to do with Al Lowe's original creation. What does shock me is that LSL:MCL is apparently a better game than LSL:BOB.

I can definitely understand why so many here refuse the idea of anyone but the original designers making a new QFG or GK (among other titles). The one point in those games' favor is that they've never relied on sex-based humor, so there would be a slight chance that new games in those series wouldn't completely suck.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Box Office Bust

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah. Staying far away from BOB. Can't even put LSL in front of that...
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Even i'm not touching it. As i completed MCL 3 times, that should say enough about BOB...
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Rudy wrote:Even i'm not touching it. As i completed MCL 3 times, that should say enough about BOB...
You completed MCL 3 times? Why on Earth? :shock:
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:
Rudy wrote:Even i'm not touching it. As i completed MCL 3 times, that should say enough about BOB...
You completed MCL 3 times? Why on Earth? :shock:
I'm assuming that as the former moderator of the LSL forums (on the Vivendi boards), he had to have played it enough to know it pretty well. Lots of people asked questions on there, most of which revolved around censor bars, full nudity, and how to procure the Adults-Only version. :P
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

DeadPoolX wrote:Lots of people asked questions on there, most of which revolved around censor bars, full nudity, and how to procure the Adults-Only version. :P
But these are weighty matters to a teen.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:Lots of people asked questions on there, most of which revolved around censor bars, full nudity, and how to procure the Adults-Only version. :P
But these are weighty matters to a teen.
Damn kids today. Back when I was young, all we had were p0rn magazines and VHS tapes. :D
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

Whats this game like in comparison to MCL?
FREEZE SCUM!!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I just watched about 20 minutes of YouTube video playthroughs of it, and then skimmed through a whole other half hour of gameplay. It actually left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it might actually make people appreciate MCL more for what it did right.

First thing I noticed: Larry's opening joke in the intro is one of the worst things I've ever heard. In MCL, Larry was a pervert, but he was still ambitious and had quirks. In this one, he's been turned into the kind of self-loathing pervert who sits around in his own filth.

With their character models, they've achieved the uncanny valley without even resorting to photo-realism. Every character - even the women - look absolutely horrible and every attempt at humor comes across as downright creepy.

Next thing I noticed - during this hour of gameplay that I skimmed through, there's no instance where Larry is trying to pick up chicks or even appearing in movies. He spends almost all his time talking to guys and running around the studio lot on GTA-type missions.

And again - the characters - they don't mix it up at all. In MCL, you had a rapping commissar, a talking arcade machine, a super-intelligent monkey, as well as every college movie archetype imaginable. In BOB, however, every character seems to be just a sleazy obnoxious ass. And they actually treat Larry with a little bit of respect in this one. It's just weird.

I don't think I'll getting this game. And this is coming from someone who played through MCL twice and actually enjoyed quite a bit of it.
the_doctor
Sierra Lover

Post by the_doctor »

DeadPoolX wrote: Damn kids today. Back when I was young, all we had were p0rn magazines and VHS tapes. :D
And the original LSL series :mrgreen:
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

DeadPoolX wrote: I'm assuming that as the former moderator of the LSL forums (on the Vivendi boards), he had to have played it enough to know it pretty well. Lots of people asked questions on there, most of which revolved around censor bars, full nudity, and how to procure the Adults-Only version. :P
That was one reason but, although MCL is no comparison with the classic LSLs, it still had its good parts, mostly in the conversations.
And yes, on the old forums they often asked how to remove the censorbar, but our reply was always the same: "ain't telling ya, because it's against ESRB policy". Afterall, the version with censorbar was rated "M" while the "uncut and uncensored" version was rated a notch higher, "AO".
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rudy wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote: I'm assuming that as the former moderator of the LSL forums (on the Vivendi boards), he had to have played it enough to know it pretty well. Lots of people asked questions on there, most of which revolved around censor bars, full nudity, and how to procure the Adults-Only version. :P
That was one reason but, although MCL is no comparison with the classic LSLs, it still had its good parts, mostly in the conversations.
And yes, on the old forums they often asked how to remove the censorbar, but our reply was always the same: "ain't telling ya, because it's against ESRB policy". Afterall, the version with censorbar was rated "M" while the "uncut and uncensored" version was rated a notch higher, "AO".
Now that you're no longer a moderator for Vivendi (or at least, for the LSL forum), how do you remove the censor bar? I don't really care about seeing naked polygonal women, but it'd be interesting to know.
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

DeadPoolX wrote:Now that you're no longer a moderator for Vivendi (or at least, for the LSL forum), how do you remove the censor bar? I don't really care about seeing naked polygonal women, but it'd be interesting to know.
No idea DPX, honestly. They never told us, and I have the European Uncut version (without censor bars), so i wasn't looking for it either. I believe there is a video on Youtube showing it though. Or you may easily find it by googling it. Those "naked polygonal women" actually look better than ever (and definitely better than in BOB) :P
And i'm not a moderator at all anymore. I was moderating Activision's Spiderman forums for a month or so, but then i resigned. The fun was totally gone for me, plus i have work for years with the Chest, which is far more enjoyable :) .
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:I just watched about 20 minutes of YouTube video playthroughs of it, and then skimmed through a whole other half hour of gameplay. It actually left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it might actually make people appreciate MCL more for what it did right.
That's saying something for me - since I think MCL did nothing right - which, as suspected, makes this BOB game even worse!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I tried playing LSL:BOB for a little while (about 10-15 minutes). I thought Larry's opening line in the intro video was atrocious and the whole thing was a poor platformer (Larry going up ladders and jumping across gaps to clean graffiti? WTF?) It didn't grab my attention at all, and the 'adventure' element was non-existent. Larry couldn't even examine items or talk to people apart from who he was supposed to talk to.

Worst $20 I ever spent.

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”