Colossal Cave (was Ken & Roberta Game Announcement)

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Colossal Cave (was Ken & Roberta Game Announcement)

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:39 pm Thankfully you won't humble-brag.....!
Sorry. Like I said, I care about words and using them properly. That's not a bad thing, is it? *blush* :(
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:39 pm Image31.png
Thank you ... so yes, looks like I got them all (almost). :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:10 am
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:39 pm Thankfully you won't humble-brag.....!
Sorry. Like I said, I care about words and using them properly. That's not a bad thing, is it? *blush* :(
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:39 pm Image31.png
Thank you ... so yes, looks like I got them all (almost). :)
I was razzing, in regards to the first... thought it was funny how ye said ye wouldn't humble-brag, then the next thing ye quoted you went into a dialogue about how it was incorrect on the second thing (mythical vs mystical). :D

And you did get all the things on the image correct... we're both suspecting SQ for the flying saucer... and the dragon is either KQ1 or Colossal Cave (I'd guess Colossal Cave, since it seems like a progress of KQ, to LSL, to PQ, to money, to their boat, to now a huge cave with a dragon - which Colossal Cave has both of). I think the only thing ye didn't mention was the "158" score... which if memory serves, is the max score in KQ1.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Just so everyone knows... if you want to buy Colossal Cave, you won't find it on GOG at launch. It's possible GOG might see it in six months, but even that is iffy.

Ken Williams stated as much on the Colossal Cave forums on Steam:
Ken Williams wrote: To be on GOG we need to be 100% DRM free. GOG wants us, and I want them, but I'm nervous about going 100% DRM free from the beginning. I proposed to them that we simply verify (from the code) that we were launched from their launcher one time -- and they still said "no".

Good for them that they are willing to pass on a chance at our product on release day rather than altering their core strategy, just for us. I support them on that, but I just couldn't do it to go DRM free at the beginning. Maybe in six months. Meanwhile, we'll be on Epic, Steam, Switch, Steamdeck, Xbox, PS5, Meta Quest 2, with lots more versions coming (IOS/Android/PS4/SteamVR, and others we haven't announced yet)-- and in 13 languages. If someone wants to play the game, they will have no problem getting it.
I can understand Ken's concerns, and I can't say I wouldn't be similarly hesitant to release a game on GOG (or at least, release it at the same time as on other digital distribution services).

It's unfortunate, but likely true that more than a few gamers on GOG release games freely online. Sure, you'll probably be able to find cracked versions, but doing so requires some work and even then, you have no idea if the game was cracked successfully (so it might not work at all), and you won't get any support or updates. More importantly, there could be malware attached to the files, so it's a big risk to download cracked games.

Oh, and I don't recall if the price of Colossal Cave was already mentioned in this thread, but apparently it's $39.99 USD on PC, VR, and console. No idea what it'll cost on iOS and Android, but I can't imagine they'd charge the same amount there as mobile gamers are even stingier than PC gamers.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:29 pm Just so everyone knows... if you want to buy Colossal Cave, you won't find it on GOG at launch. It's possible GOG might see it in six months, but even that is iffy.
(Snip Justified Reason)
Yeah, it absolutely makes sense why they wouldn't release it on GoG. Especially being now - technically an "Indie" company again - and it costing 40 bucks for the game.

But man, GoG and former Sierra folks - because Corey mentioned GoG declined to pick up Summer Daze, which is odd. You'd figure they'd want games that have done well, and since it's the same folks who made Hero-U, you'd think they'd want Summer Daze too.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:18 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:29 pm Just so everyone knows... if you want to buy Colossal Cave, you won't find it on GOG at launch. It's possible GOG might see it in six months, but even that is iffy.
(Snip Justified Reason)
Yeah, it absolutely makes sense why they wouldn't release it on GoG. Especially being now - technically an "Indie" company again - and it costing 40 bucks for the game.

But man, GoG and former Sierra folks - because Corey mentioned GoG declined to pick up Summer Daze, which is odd. You'd figure they'd want games that have done well, and since it's the same folks who made Hero-U, you'd think they'd want Summer Daze too.
There might also be other legal complications since GOG is Polish, and Poland is part of the European Union. Some laws, particularly those revolving around digital rights management, are different in the EU.

In contrast, both Valve and Epic Games are US companies, so it's probably easier for Sierra Cygnus to manage as far as distribution on computers are concerned. Consoles are another matter entirely since their entire platform is essentially DRM in and of itself.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Good on the Williamses for being hesitant to go DRM-free. Yes, downloading cracked games is fraught with all sorts of risks; I'd much rather pay for a game I want.

I remember reading some of the objections to DRM: that it was invasive, that it harvested personal data or data about your machine, etc. Is that still the case? In an age where identity theft is so common, if DRM does harvest personal data, the concern is valid. *shrug*
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:17 am Good on the Williamses for being hesitant to go DRM-free. Yes, downloading cracked games is fraught with all sorts of risks; I'd much rather pay for a game I want.
Well, ideally the way PC games should be is both DRM-free and the customer pays for it. It's just unfortunate that "some people" end up ruining things for everyone, and this goes way beyond gaming.

The majority of people who seek out cracked software aren't those who're upset due to DRM, it's people who feel they're owed a product at an unreasonably low price or even free.

Some of these people also have their priorities very messed up. One of the individuals I had a disagreement with about Colossal Cave's price on Steam said he wanted a major discount on the game because he's currently on welfare. Let that sink in. He's on welfare.

Here's a crazy idea: if you're on welfare, maybe you need to think about allocating funds to more important facets of your life than computer games.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:17 am I remember reading some of the objections to DRM: that it was invasive, that it harvested personal data or data about your machine, etc. Is that still the case? In an age where identity theft is so common, if DRM does harvest personal data, the concern is valid. *shrug*
It depends on the DRM itself, although the most common forms of DRM are quite benign (such as Steam itself). Even the more invasive forms of DRM don't collect enough information to effectively commit identity theft. People are more at risk by filling out their Facebook profile and leaving all the information publicly viewable.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:57 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:17 am Good on the Williamses for being hesitant to go DRM-free. Yes, downloading cracked games is fraught with all sorts of risks; I'd much rather pay for a game I want.
Well, ideally the way PC games should be is both DRM-free and the customer pays for it. It's just unfortunate that "some people" end up ruining things for everyone, and this goes way beyond gaming.

The majority of people who seek out cracked software aren't those who're upset due to DRM, it's people who feel they're owed a product at an unreasonably low price or even free.

Some of these people also have their priorities very messed up. One of the individuals I had a disagreement with about Colossal Cave's price on Steam said he wanted a major discount on the game because he's currently on welfare. Let that sink in. He's on welfare.

Here's a crazy idea: if you're on welfare, maybe you need to think about allocating funds to more important facets of your life than computer games.
True. Many years ago, when I just started college, I had to accept government assistance. It wasn't much, but I could use it for essentials: rent, bills, food etc. I saved what was left (not much).

I'd have loved to be able to afford luxuries like new computer games, books, clothes etc... but meh. *shrug* New computer games alone could cost me up to $90. Each.

I don't mean to be condescending, but ... if a computer game is more important to this guy than rent, bills and food ... perhaps he should learn about budgeting? *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm I don't mean to be condescending, but ... if a computer game is more important to this guy than rent, bills and food ... perhaps he should learn about budgeting? *shrug*
I remember discussing, even in the late 80s - Sierra games were $40 then. And today, games, are that much still.
Ah ha - found the thread:
http://forums.sierrahelp.com/viewtopic. ... 756#p86756
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Adjusted for inflation that 1987 $40 would be over $100 today.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:38 am Adjusted for inflation that 1987 $40 would be over $100 today.
Which is crazy. And yet, there I was (sometimes splitting the cost with a friend), buying those games left and right as they came out from Sierra.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Also - Colossal Cave released today.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Exciting news, for sure, but perhaps I should wait until the patches are released? Or the bug fixes?

My heart says, "Buy now." My head says, "Someone will find a bug that slipped past QA."

Remember Error 52? And "Oops! You did something we were not expecting"? *shrug*
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Colossal Cave is now on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/colossal_cave

Return to “Other Sierra Games”