The Poorly Described Game... um, game.

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The Poorly Described Game... um, game.

Post by Tawmis »

Are you fighting of alien species in this game?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm Are you fighting of alien species in this game?
No, not in the traditional sense (no sci-fi aliens). However, the creatures you fight in this game are from other worlds/dimensions and are more of a cross between the Fallout series and Lovecraftian horror.

HINT 1: This game uses procedural generation to create the campaign and adventure modes.

HINT 2: You can re-roll your world in both campaign and adventure modes in order to find specific enemies, dungeons, items, etc.

HINT 3: The creatures you fight invaded in 1968 and technological advancement mostly ceased (although computers advanced to roughly 1980s-level tech) despite the game itself taking place 94 years later in 2062.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK ... then "Shotgun Farmers", "Gladiabots", "Galaxy Trucker", "Castle Break" and "Mordhau (Eastern Invasion)" are all out. They were released before June of 2019. ;)

It's also not Mindustry, War Selection (!), Towertale, or We Need to Go Deeper. All of those are the wrong genre.

Soooo, I guess it must be "Destiny 2". That's the only co-op I found in Steam that fits at least three criteria:

- released late 2019 but not close to Christmas (1 October 2019)
- has online co-op for up to 3 people
- shooter

I don't know if it has the other elements, but I can't find anything else. Am I right? *crosses fingers*
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:47 am OK ... then "Shotgun Farmers", "Gladiabots", "Galaxy Trucker", "Castle Break" and "Mordhau (Eastern Invasion)" are all out. They were released before June of 2019. ;)
No, it's not any of those... and you already know that, so I have no idea why you're even bothering to write them down. :?
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:47 am It's also not Mindustry, War Selection (!), Towertale, or We Need to Go Deeper. All of those are the wrong genre.
I got news for you: Shotgun Farmers, Gladiabots, Galaxy Trucker, Castle Break, and Mordau are all the wrong genres as well. :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:47 am Is it "Destiny 2", by any chance?
No, it's not Destiny 2. For reference, Destiny 2 is a first-person shooter that's free-to-play, online-only and contains PvP. The game I'm thinking of is none of those, plus I already described it as a third-person shooter that is PvE only in earlier posts.

It almost sounds like you're randomly guessing at this point. :shock:

Okay, here are some more hints:

HINT 1: This game is NOT any of the following: a first-person shooter, digital boardgame, programming puzzle game, arcade game, online-only, massively multiplayer, strategy, free-to-play, or focused on PvP.

HINT 2: This game IS all of the following: a third-person shooter, centered around cooperative PvE gameplay (but can be played single player), includes RPG and horror elements, belongs to a sub-genre of games (named after a specific game series) that's noted for high levels of difficulty, and was released in the latter half of 2019.

HINT 3: The third hint in my previous post practically gives away the answer after doing a little research online.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. I wasn't randomly guessing - I went to Steam and looked up all their shooters, then copied-and-pasted it to Excel and filtered out everything that wasn't created in 2019 and wasn't a third-person shooter (I think?), then c&ped THAT into Notepad for easy reference. ;)

As for your clue ... I googled the clue (and modified it a little so google can give me more results), but I can't see any games like that. :-( STALKER was the closest I could find, but STALKER was made in 2007 - way too early.

So I'm stuck! :| Can you narrow it down a little, please?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:46 pm So I'm stuck! :| Can you narrow it down a little, please?
Okay, let's see...

HINT 1: Do you remember when I wrote that this game belongs to a sub-genre of games that're named after a specific (and very well known) game series? That sub-genre is called "Souls-Like" because it comes from Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3. And no, the game I'm thinking of is NOT any of the Dark Souls games themselves.

HINT 2: The game I'm thinking of has no connection to Medieval fantasy, Star Wars, or Japanese mythology. This will make sense when you start looking stuff up.

HINT 3: The game I'm thinking of is primarily based around long-range and short-range firearms, and although melee weapons are available, they're usually a last resort.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

All right. I'm trying hard to research this, but I only have a limited time before work ... but I've done some preliminary research.

So, here's a preliminary question: I've looked up all "Souls-like" games in the time leading up to Christmas 2019 (Sep 2019 to Nov 2019). Was the game released in September 2019? :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:36 pm All right. I'm trying hard to research this, but I only have a limited time before work ... but I've done some preliminary research.

So, here's a preliminary question: I've looked up all "Souls-like" games in the time leading up to Christmas 2019 (Sep 2019 to Nov 2019). Was the game released in September 2019? :)
No, it was released before September 2019, but after June 2019. So you've got a range of two months. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

All right ... all the "Souls-like" games released in August 2019 (on Steam, anyway) were single-player, so they're out. And all the "Souls-like" games released in July 2019 (on Steam) were ... single-player. So they're out. :|

All right, let's try a different tack. This game that was released sometime in either July OR August 2019 ... was it a demo (and therefore the final product was for 3 people)? :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:17 am All right ... all the "Souls-like" games released in August 2019 (on Steam, anyway) were single-player, so they're out. And all the "Souls-like" games released in July 2019 (on Steam) were ... single-player. So they're out. :|
Well, I know for an absolute fact that's incorrect.

How? Because one of those games Maia and I are playing together in co-op, and if you search correctly using Steam's search function, you'll find this game. And no, this is a fully released game, not a demo.

HINT 1: This game was released in August 2019. There are only SIX choices of games when searching for "souls-like" and limiting the release date to August 2019, and out of those SIX choices, only ONE game has co-op gameplay (or any multiplayer functionality at all).

HINT 2: Make sure to check the information on a game's store page (on Steam), don't just hover your cursor over the game's name and expect three or so tags to tell you everything.

HINT 3: Make sure you're also looking at August 2019. You might be accidentally looking at August 2020 or 2021.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, OK. I opened all the pages for these games and looking for the words "Single-player". As soon as that popped up, I thought "This can't be right!"

Aha! I think now I know what it is. :) There are only six games left:

- SAVAGE: The Shard of Gosen (side-scroller fantasy)
- Decay of Logos (third-person action/adventure fantasy RPG, a bit like Skyrim-very-lite)
- Barbarian Souls (third-person fantasy/action)
- Minoria (side-scroller fantasy)
- Remnant: From the Ashes (sci-fi action)
- Dark Roll (logic game)

Of all these, "Remnant: From the Ashes" is the only one that has co-op, and the only one that isn't fantasy. So my answer is "Remnant: From the Ashes". Am I right? :)

(And yes, it took me long enough. Sorry) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Phew, I will say DPX plays a way more diversified set of games than I ever have. :D
(Although a lot of my gaming was done console wise, if it wasn't Sierra... I need to pull from more consoles ones of these days!) :D
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:04 pm

Of all these, "Remnant: From the Ashes" is the only one that has co-op, and the only one that isn't fantasy. So my answer is "Remnant: From the Ashes". Am I right? :)
I really want to say "no, you're not right" just to mess with you, but... you're right! :D

Although I'd never classify R:FtA as sci-fi. I see it more as post-apocalyptic/horror, but whatever. The point is you guessed it!

That means it's your turn now, Rath.
Tawmis wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:59 am Phew, I will say DPX plays a way more diversified set of games than I ever have. :D
(Although a lot of my gaming was done console wise, if it wasn't Sierra... I need to pull from more consoles ones of these days!) :D
In general, I like most genres, even multiplayer PvP games if the player community isn't completely vile and toxic (which unfortunately most of them are).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huzzah! :D (And I don't play most genres, so this may be easier).

I remember a computer game where you are trying to prevent the end of the world from taking place inside a pyramid. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:49 am Huzzah! :D (And I don't play most genres, so this may be easier).

I remember a computer game where you are trying to prevent the end of the world from taking place inside a pyramid. ;)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?

Return to “Community Games”