The Poorly Described Game... um, game.

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: The Poorly Described Game... um, game.

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:51 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Tawmis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:37 pm All right - an easy one!
I remember a console game, where you control the main character, making their way through a dense and dangerous jungle....
Easy... sure. :lol:
Okay, was this game on any other platforms, such as computers or arcade machines?
The one I am thinking of was strictly for console.

They did make a sequel for the same console... I don't recall playing it.

Another game (the third?) was released on SEGA, I remember. But it was VERY different than the first two. And it didn't mark itself as the third... it just had a "title" for the game, like "Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking For Love (In Several Wrong Places" (though we'd know that as LSL2) as an example.
SEGA what? I can think of at least SEVEN different options if you include consoles, console add-ons, and handheld devices that were released outside of Japan. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but it matters which device. :)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:02 pm
Tawmis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:51 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Tawmis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:37 pm All right - an easy one!
I remember a console game, where you control the main character, making their way through a dense and dangerous jungle....
Easy... sure. :lol:
Okay, was this game on any other platforms, such as computers or arcade machines?
The one I am thinking of was strictly for console.
They did make a sequel for the same console... I don't recall playing it.
Another game (the third?) was released on SEGA, I remember. But it was VERY different than the first two. And it didn't mark itself as the third... it just had a "title" for the game, like "Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking For Love (In Several Wrong Places" (though we'd know that as LSL2) as an example.
SEGA what? I can think of at least SEVEN different options if you include consoles, console add-ons, and handheld devices that were released outside of Japan. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but it matters which device. :)
The sequel was on SEGA Genesis. And just found out, the Nintendo NES. But for the Nintendo NES, for some reason they changed the title slightly from what it was on the SEGA Genesis.
The third one appeared on Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Then, apparently on SEGA CD and 32X and eventually Windows 95 and Atari Jaguar and Gamboy Advance. (I never knew any of this beyond the Sega Genesis)
In late 1990, another version - 3D (never played it) version was released - and the main character was voiced by Bruce Campell. That one was released on Playstation, Game Boy Color.
And yet another sequel was released on PS2, GameCube and XBox (never knew about this one)
And in 2012, Activision released a version for iOS and Android (never knew this one).
There was a kickstarter during the same year, with a similar name as a "spiritual successor" that was asking for almost one million dollars - but got less than $50,000.

Apparently there was also a Saturday Supercade cartoon in the early 80s - which, being an 80s child - I am not sure how I missed this. Apparently it only lasted one season and was replaced by Kangaro and Space Ace.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Pitfall? If that's the case, I had no idea it was ported to so many platforms over the years, and I certainly didn't recall the Saturday Morning cartoon.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:43 pm Pitfall? If that's the case, I had no idea it was ported to so many platforms over the years, and I certainly didn't recall the Saturday Morning cartoon.
It is indeed PITFALL!

Yeah - when you asked what SEGA - I figured I'd check Wiki - because I knew the sequel was on SEGA Genesis - but wondered if it was ported to anything else...

From the Wiki -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall!
Pitfall! Wikipedia wrote: Legacy
Pitfall! is one of the most influential games for the Atari 2600 system.[27] It's a prototypical side-scrolling platform game, a genre which would dominate future 8-bit and 16-bit systems.[27] Although it does not scroll, it has all the features of such games, such as the ability to travel up and down on multiple levels of play.[28] It introduced the jungle setting to video games. Many of the game mechanics[which?] were used in games like Prince of Persia.[3]

Sequels
An Atari 2600 sequel from David Crane, Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, was published in 1984 as one of the last major games for the system. It was reworked into 1987's Super Pitfall for the Nintendo Entertainment System.[29]

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, in the style of contemporaneous 16-bit platform games, was released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Genesis in 1994. It later appeared on the Sega CD and 32X. It was ported to Windows 95 and the Atari Jaguar in 1995 and Game Boy Advance in 2001. The original Pitfall! game is included as an easter egg.

In 1998, Pitfall 3D: Beyond the Jungle, with Bruce Campbell voicing Pitfall Harry Jr., was released for the PlayStation and, without the 3D designation, Game Boy Color. In 2004, a fourth sequel was released for PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Xbox: Pitfall: The Lost Expedition. It includes both the original Pitfall! and Pitfall II games. It was ported to the Wii as Pitfall: The Big Adventure (2008).[30]

In 2012, Activision released Pitfall! for iOS followed by a version for Android. The game is a 3D endless runner in the style of Temple Run.[31] The same year, Crane announced a Kickstarter campaign for Jungleventure, a spiritual successor to the original games. The goal was US$900,000,[32] but it only raised $31,207.[33] Crane said people thought he was asking for too much money: "everyone turned against me as soon as they saw [the cost]."[34]

In popular culture
In 1983, Pitfall! made its animated television debut as a segment on the CBS Saturday Supercade cartoon lineup, under the name Pitfall Harry. The plotline involves Harry (voiced by Robert Ridgely), his niece Rhonda (Noelle North), and his cowardly mountain lion Quickclaw (Kenneth Mars) searching for hidden treasure.[35] After only one season, Pitfall Harry, Frogger, and Donkey Kong Jr. were replaced by Kangaroo and Space Ace.

An abbreviated version of Pitfall! is a demonstration project included with Garry Kitchen's GameMaker, published by Activision in 1985.

Pitfall! is mentioned in the movie Ready Player One, as "One of the only 2600 games that still hasn't ended."
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I forgot it was my turn!

Okay, I remember a computer game where you could fight against an invading species while acquiring new weapons, armor, traits, and leveling up said weapons and armor. Additionally, this computer game could be played cooperatively for a maximum of three people playing together.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:55 pm I forgot it was my turn!

Okay, I remember a computer game where you could fight against an invading species while acquiring new weapons, armor, traits, and leveling up said weapons and armor. Additionally, this computer game could be played cooperatively for a maximum of three people playing together.
Was this game made in the 90s? (Including/Between 1990-1999)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 pm
DeadPoolX wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:55 pm I forgot it was my turn!

Was this game made in the 90s? (Including/Between 1990-1999)
No, this game was made far more recently than the 90s.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Then "Space Invaders" is out of the question. :lol: (I mean, it also was before...)

Was this game made in the 2010s (between 2010 and 2019)?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:27 am Then "Space Invaders" is out of the question. :lol: (I mean, it also was before...)

Was this game made in the 2010s (between 2010 and 2019)?
Yes, because this game was released in 2019.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

By Zarquon, I think I've got it! :D Is it Gears 5?

I simply looked up the wiki list of coop video games, exported it to Excel, and filtered out anything that wasn't created in 2019 and couldn't be played by 3 people. "Gears 5" was the only thing left. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:06 pm By Zarquon, I think I've got it! :D Is it Gears 5?

I simply looked up the wiki list of coop video games, exported it to Excel, and filtered out anything that wasn't created in 2019 and couldn't be played by 3 people. "Gears 5" was the only thing left. ;)
No, it's not Gears 5.

HINT 1: The game I'm thinking of is NOT on that list of cooperative video games (but this game still has online co-op gameplay for up to three players at once).

HINT 2: You're on the right track in that you're looking at third-person shooters.

HINT 3: Although this game plays like a third-person shooter, it has a very unusual set of RPG elements added to it.

HINT 4: The game I'm thinking of belongs to a sub-genre of games that's named after a specific game series that is known for having high difficultly.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

*scratches head, puts on thinking cap, googles "third-person shooters", searches for 2019*

It can't be Resident Evil 2 (or its remake), because it has no co-op.

"Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville" has co-op, but only for 2 people.

"Control" (by Remedy Entertainment" has co-op, but for 4 people.

So ... my guess is "Control", since at least 3 people can play it. *crosses fingers*
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:32 am *scratches head, puts on thinking cap, googles "third-person shooters", searches for 2019*

It can't be Resident Evil 2 (or its remake), because it has no co-op.

"Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville" has co-op, but only for 2 people.

"Control" (by Remedy Entertainment" has co-op, but for 4 people.

So ... my guess is "Control", since at least 3 people can play it. *crosses fingers*
Nope. None of those, and Control (by Remedy Entertainment) doesn't have any co-op or multiplayer at all. It's entirely single player. I even checked Steam, GOG, Wikipedia, and various other gaming sites to verify, and there is NO multiplayer (co-op or otherwise) in Control.

The only thing I can think of is you misread this article (written in 2021) about a spinoff of Control that'll have four-player co-op, but that game hasn't been released yet, so there's no way that game could ever fit because it's not available and even if it was, it would've been released after 2019! :roll:

HINT 1: In the game I'm thinking of, you can have a MAXIMUM of THREE people in cooperative multiplayer.

HINT 2: There is no PvP whatsoever, the gameplay is entire PvE in single player and co-op.

HINT 3: Despite being a third-person shooter, this game has unusual RPG elements (as in, you gain experience, but you only level up traits instead of leveling up character stats and skills/abilities).

HINT 4: This game belongs to a sub-genre of games that's named after a specific game series that is known for having high difficultly.

(Yes, Hints 3 & 4 are repeated from my last post, but they're important hints and can help guide you in the right direction.)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, whoops! :| Not that article, but a similar one. Oops. *blush*

Then ... I'm not sure what to suggest. I haven't played shooters or co-op games since Team Fortress 2. (It's definitely not Team Fortress 3 - that's not out, and won't be for a looong time). :lol:

Sigh. :( I have a list of other candidates, but this is difficult ... let's try to narrow it down. Was this released in the first half of 2019 (January to June)?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:43 pm I haven't played shooters or co-op games since Team Fortress 2. (It's definitely not Team Fortress 3 - that's not out, and won't be for a looong time). :lol:
Yeah, TF3 has about as much chance as seeing the light of day as Half-Life 3. :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:43 pm Was this released in the first half of 2019 (January to June)?
No, this was released in the second half (July to December). I'll also add that this game was released months ahead of the Christmas shopping season.

Return to “Community Games”